Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time - Page 5 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #49  
Old 07-06-2016, 08:41 AM
rldc2000's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: DFW
Posts: 78
Thanks: 120
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 707
rldc2000 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by protect1989 View Post
Knowing my jeep dealer it will take them all day and loaners are not an option
my dealer said that as slow as their connection is it will take them six hours.....

at least they are honest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #50  
Old 07-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,123
Thanks: 74
Thanked 298 Times in 262 Posts
Rep Power: 46578
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
There's no cure for stupid!
There is, but it is rather drastic and Darwinian.
  #51  
Old 07-06-2016, 01:51 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 377
Thanked 323 Times in 219 Posts
Rep Power: 18276
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko15 View Post
There's no cure for stupid!
Today I'm inclined to agree with you. Recalls like this one, along with the sad fact 51% of the people still think Obama is doing a good job, reinforces that thinking.
The Following User Says Thank You to billt For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #52  
Old 07-06-2016, 03:00 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 783
Thanks: 25
Thanked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1153419
Specx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond reputeSpecx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
The reason some washes make people exit the vehicle is there have been quite a few accidents where people have hit the gas instead of the brake and crashed into the car wash, employees or the vehicle ahead. People even sometimes reverse in a car wash because they seem to think they didn't get enough soap or wax.

Or worse, have actually opened their doors and/or stepped out of the vehicle in the middle of the wash...

For your viewing pleasure:

Thanks for this, got a good laugh out of it. Looks like the guy in the second segment got knocked out cold for a minute there and what the hell is with that white car towards the end? Getting a running start to speed through the wash?
__________________
Ordered 02/06/2013: 2014 Overland, Brilliant Black Exterior, Black Interior, 5.7 Hemi, Off-Road Adventure II, Advanced Technology Group

Vehicle Delivered to Dealer 03/25/2013 05:00 PM PDT In my garage!
  #53  
Old 07-06-2016, 05:13 PM
canistel's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 139
Thanks: 6
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1490
canistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
This is what I'm going to do as well. My recall notice went into the can. I simply do not want them screwing with my vehicle to "fix" a non existent problem. There is NOTHING mechanically wrong with this shifter. The "problem" as it appears, is that the bulk of the people who are having difficulty using it, are either so dumbed down, or else just plain too careless in order to operate it correctly.

Let's be honest here. How hard is it to move a lever until the letter "P" lights up on it before you take your hand off of it? While at the same time double checking by moving your eyeballs to the instrument panel to make sure it say's "P" also, before taking your foot off the brake pedal.

The only problem I'm seeing with this shifter, is the fact Chrysler Jeep engineers made the mistake of thinking the average purchaser of their vehicles actually possessed some common sense. They have found out the hard way, common sense isn't always so common. The recall was and is unnecessary. This may sound cruel, but they should simply let Darwin work as intended. However, lawyers in this country would not let that be possible, without bankrupting Jeep in the process.
One of these days, you know-it-all-better type of shits are going to accidentally run over your grand daughter or someone else you care about. Learning the lesson the hard way.

Apparently it's far easier (for you folk) to bash the people making the mistake, then it is to think about it logically - the previous shifter was not broken, and caused less trouble for people on average. Statistics.

Yes people have a responsibility to learn and operate their jeep correctly, but Jeep has a responsibility to minimize accidental mistakes.

The 2014 shifter is a screwy design, the stats don't lie.
The Following User Says Thank You to canistel For This Useful Post:
  #54  
Old 07-06-2016, 06:06 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 377
Thanked 323 Times in 219 Posts
Rep Power: 18276
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
One of these days, you know-it-all-better type of shits are going to accidentally run over your grand daughter or someone else you care about. Learning the lesson the hard way.

Apparently it's far easier (for you folk) to bash the people making the mistake, then it is to think about it logically - the previous shifter was not broken, and caused less trouble for people on average. Statistics.

Yes people have a responsibility to learn and operate their jeep correctly, but Jeep has a responsibility to minimize accidental mistakes.

The 2014 shifter is a screwy design, the stats don't lie.
I'm not "bashing" anyone. The shifter is easy and simple to operate. And IS NOT mechanically flawed or "broken" in any way. Or was it ever. The fact there are people who fail to take the time to learn how to operate it correctly, and as a direct result of their lack of knowledge, and or carelessness, have an accident because of it, is not Jeeps fault.

Jeep cannot, "minimize accidental mistakes", any more than a gun manufacturer can. Because it's the people who are operating both who have the accidents, not the machines themselves. Especially if a person operates either product without the proper knowledge and understanding of how to do it correctly. Cars don't start and drive themselves, any more than guns load and shoot themselves.

You have to know the mechanics of what you are attempting to operate. And if you don't, there will always be people who will injure themselves. Because they are either careless with them, or do not take the time to learn how to operate them correctly. This regardless of how "foolproof" a manufacturer tries to make them.

And that IS, "thinking about it logically", and the only, "lesson to be learned". Take away the threat of lawsuits, and the recall never would have happened. Simply because as always, there is no reason to "fix" what isn't broken..... Until you inject lawyers into the equation.
  #55  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM
englanderm's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 306
Thanks: 53
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 920
englanderm is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
One of these days, you know-it-all-better type of shits are going to accidentally run over your grand daughter or someone else you care about. Learning the lesson the hard way.

Apparently it's far easier (for you folk) to bash the people making the mistake, then it is to think about it logically - the previous shifter was not broken, and caused less trouble for people on average. Statistics.

Yes people have a responsibility to learn and operate their jeep correctly, but Jeep has a responsibility to minimize accidental mistakes.

The 2014 shifter is a screwy design, the stats don't lie.
I actually tend to agree that the shifter is a questionable design. The first time I rented a Chrysler 300 with it I thought it was really pretty cool. BUT...The first time I had to fumble a bit to go between R and D and R and D, I started to question it. Now that I own a 2015 High Altitude, I'm sure it is questionable. Sure...It isn't rocket science to find PARK before exiting. I am quite capable, but a short time after getting my HA, as I was pulling out of my drive, I remembered something in the house. I slammed it into Drive, pulled back into the driveway, shoved it into PARK (I thought), pressed the Start/Stop button to shut it down (since it was still in gear it didn't really shut down, opened the door and started to jump out when I realized the car started rolling backwards. I immediately hit the brake, jumped back in and correctly put it in PARK. Fortunately, no damage to me, the car, the house, etc. It hasn't happened again, but I do at times have to fiddle with it a bit when going back and forth like when parking. Yes, it was my carelessness in my haste. This could happen to anybody. Even me. I, for one, appreciate that it can't happen again with the 'AUTO-PARK' update. I truly believe that anyone who states that he has NEVER had any difficulty finding gears with this 'mono-stable' shifter is either oblivious, or outright lying. Either way, I agree it is a good update to a poorly designed and not properly tested shifter. That, my fellow drivers, is my story....and I'm sticking to it!!!
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee HA, 3.6, Bright White. Lots of small but meaningful mods. "Who knew that Jeep makes such a great ride?":thumbsup:
The Following User Says Thank You to englanderm For This Useful Post:
  #56  
Old 07-06-2016, 07:46 PM
canistel's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 139
Thanks: 6
Thanked 28 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1490
canistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond reputecanistel has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I'm not "bashing" anyone. The shifter is easy and simple to operate. And IS NOT mechanically flawed or "broken" in any way. Or was it ever. The fact there are people who fail to take the time to learn how to operate it correctly, and as a direct result of their lack of knowledge, and or carelessness, have an accident because of it, is not Jeeps fault.

Jeep cannot, "minimize accidental mistakes", any more than a gun manufacturer can. Because it's the people who are operating both who have the accidents, not the machines themselves. Especially if a person operates either product without the proper knowledge and understanding of how to do it correctly. Cars don't start and drive themselves, any more than guns load and shoot themselves.

You have to know the mechanics of what you are attempting to operate. And if you don't, there will always be people who will injure themselves. Because they are either careless with them, or do not take the time to learn how to operate them correctly. This regardless of how "foolproof" a manufacturer tries to make them.

And that IS, "thinking about it logically", and the only, "lesson to be learned". Take away the threat of lawsuits, and the recall never would have happened. Simply because as always, there is no reason to "fix" what isn't broken..... Until you inject lawyers into the equation.
Dude, go back and read your own posts. You claim these people are dumbed down", lack common sense, and then throw in some other f___ed up stuff about letting Darwin work. If you don't think that's not bashing people then you need to hit the reset on your character because it really sucks.

No the shifter is not mechanically flawed or broken, no need to bold that because nobody is claiming it. We are claiming the shifter is flawed in it's DESIGN. Big difference. Something can operate as designed and still have major design problems, like you know, this shifter.

I'm not talking about lawyers or guns. I'm saying the 2013 shifter was a far better design, whether you like it not, because far less accidents occurred (have any??) as a result of somebody incorrectly using the stupid thing.

Leave everything out of the argument except for this: If two shifters are functioning 100% correctly mechanically, but one is causing a lot more deaths/accidents/problems than the second due to design differences, LOGICALLY that should say something to you. Given your recent posts on the matter, I'm not expecting much.
  #57  
Old 07-06-2016, 08:29 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 377
Thanked 323 Times in 219 Posts
Rep Power: 18276
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
Dude, go back and read your own posts. You claim these people are dumbed down", lack common sense, and then throw in some other f___ed up stuff about letting Darwin work. If you don't think that's not bashing people then you need to hit the reset on your character because it really sucks.
"Dude", that's not "bashing", it's telling the truth. Come on for Christ's sake, you tell me. Just how much intellect does one have to possess to move a single lever into the correct position? Especially when it lights up in 2 places to tell you that you've done it correctly. Forrest Gump could run the damn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
No the shifter is not mechanically flawed or broken, no need to bold that because nobody is claiming it. We are claiming the shifter is flawed in it's DESIGN.
Sorry, that dog won't hunt. There is nothing wrong with it's design. The shifter works properly, exactly as it was designed to. It is not prone to breakage, or any other type of failure. It does not jump out of position. It's only "flaw" is it seems some people are simply too dumb to properly operate it. That has nothing to do with design flaws. It has to do with operator ignorance. All you're doing is trying to blame a machine for the inabilities of the few people who can't operate it. The deficiency is in the operator, not the machine, or it's design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canistel View Post
If two shifters are functioning 100% correctly mechanically, but one is causing a lot more deaths/accidents/problems than the second due to design differences, LOGICALLY that should say something to you.
It does. The people operating it are either too ignorant, or else too careless to use it properly. You just said it. It's designed DIFFERENT. That does not make it "flawed". The shifter operates in a different manner than most other 6 position conventional shifters. In spite of the fact it looks similar. It does not make it ,"faulty due to it's design", because the people having issues with it, are simply too stupid to learn how to operate it correctly.

The people having the problems are not understanding it's basic function. And that function is about as simple as any designer could possibly make it. Because the shifter LOOKS similar, but OPERATES differently, does not make it a flawed design. "Flawed" operators, yes.
  #58  
Old 07-06-2016, 08:42 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 377
Thanked 323 Times in 219 Posts
Rep Power: 18276
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by englanderm View Post
I truly believe that anyone who states that he has NEVER had any difficulty finding gears with this 'mono-stable' shifter is either oblivious, or outright lying.
And just what are they lying about? The fact they have not had issues because they took the time to learn how to operate it correctly? And check to see what gear it's in BEFORE they try to shut off the car, or get out of it?
  #59  
Old 07-06-2016, 09:42 PM
englanderm's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 306
Thanks: 53
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 920
englanderm is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
And just what are they lying about? The fact they have not had issues because they took the time to learn how to operate it correctly? And check to see what gear it's in BEFORE they try to shut off the car, or get out of it?
I cannot believe all the hostility and trash talk in this thread. Unless it is all just a gag, you guys should be locked up in a padded room. I am as of right now out of this nonsense. I will read the posts in hopes that someone will add something of value but otherwise, I will not participate. AMF!!
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee HA, 3.6, Bright White. Lots of small but meaningful mods. "Who knew that Jeep makes such a great ride?":thumbsup:
  #60  
Old 07-07-2016, 05:43 AM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 377
Thanked 323 Times in 219 Posts
Rep Power: 18276
billt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond reputebillt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter Safety Recall S27 (14/15) Repair PDF - 2.3 Hour Repair Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by englanderm View Post
I cannot believe all the hostility and trash talk in this thread. Unless it is all just a gag, you guys should be locked up in a padded room. I am as of right now out of this nonsense. I will read the posts in hopes that someone will add something of value but otherwise, I will not participate. AMF!!
So.... You make the personal accusation that anyone who can correctly move a shift lever on a simple automatic transmission without incident, of being a "liar"...... Then complain they are "hostile" and are "trash talking" when they question you on it. You're a real piece of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englanderm View Post
I truly believe that anyone who states that he has NEVER had any difficulty finding gears with this 'mono-stable' shifter is either oblivious, or outright lying.
How about this for a really novel idea? For those of you who want and expect design engineers to idiot proof planet Earth on your behalf. Back in 1968 when I got my drivers license, some 48 years ago, my high school drivers education teacher told us in very simple terms.... Under no circumstances do you EVER get out of a vehicle without, 1.) Securely placing the transmission in PARK. 2.) Firmly applying the parking brake. 3.) Shutting off the engine.

He told me, along with the other 2 students in the car, that if we got out of the vehicle to allow the other student to enter the drivers seat, without doing those 3 things, we would automatically FAIL. None of us did, because it appeared to all of us we were just exercising simple common sense. I've continued to do those 3 things for the last 48 years, and guess what? I've never had a car "roll away from me"....... Jeep or otherwise. As a simple suggestion, you just might want to try it sometime.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
safety recall notice hoffmanestates Grand Cherokee - WJ 7 05-31-2015 06:18 PM
Safety Recall Notice February 4, 2014 makris0000 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 9 02-06-2014 10:53 AM
2014 Safety Recall - anybody else? jer630 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 22 10-26-2013 04:34 PM
Safety Recall J33: Instrument Panel Top Cover TheHawk Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 5 12-29-2009 06:56 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.