Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:13 AM
2005JGC's Avatar
Senior Member


My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,751
Thanks: 51
Thanked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 1652950
2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute2005JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep2011 View Post
Wish the dealer here could perform a TSB they just say the computer didn't pull any up that applies to your car.
Cannot blame your dealer on this one... If chrysler didnt apply this RRT to your vin then a couple things, that tells the dealer that for whatever reason your vehicle doenst require it, Furthermore, if they were to do the shock mount one and the RRT didnt apply to your vehicle chrysler wouldnt reimburse the dealer. Just sayin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I rarely ever take a vehicle in for dealership work. I know too many dealer techs (friends even) that are all about fixing a problem as fast as possible rather than taking the time to do it right. Unfortunate but true. I would think twice before letting them take apart my suspension unless absolutely necessary. If you're lucky you'll get the guy who does it correctly.
Im not for a second backing shoddy workmanship but I will say speed is the nature of the beast... Techs are not hourly, so unless you have an in at a government shop where they are, you will have people pushing to get the job done ANYWHERE.

We just had a guy leave and go into the airforce at my dealer... one of the last conversations I had with him he said that he just didnt have what it took to do stuff fast "like you" he said because he did stuff right... To which I responded "so because I do it fast I am doing it wrong"? Some of the best techs do stuff fast, not because they are hack artists and onto the next 10hr gravy boat, but because they have done it dozens of times, know what to remove, how to remove it and a pretty good idea of what tools are needed before the job starts. The speed at which a job is done doesnt deturming the repair quality, its the tech... and if your tech friends do poor quality, fast work, the poor quality is on your friends.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-22-2011, 07:22 AM
talongs's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 40
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 1462
talongs is on a distinguished road
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Can you tell the Dealer that you don't want the ESC changed? I sure don't want it "more sensitive" than it is now. I would like Consumer Reports to stay out of my garage.
__________________

__________________
2011 Overland 3.6 V6
Inferno Red, Saddle, OR2
Ordered 10/1, D1 11/18, Due 12/5ish still waiting
Oh, never mind bought an off the lot twin elsewhere
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1395
dwaleke is on a distinguished road
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by talongs View Post
Can you tell the Dealer that you don't want the ESC changed? I sure don't want it "more sensitive" than it is now. I would like Consumer Reports to stay out of my garage.
I had the ESC update done and had some time to play around in snow covered parking lots and side streets. I thought the responsiveness of the ESC was great. Glad I got it done. Now I haven't done much with the ESC in terms of offroad so not sure how it would affect that type of terrain.
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X, Hemi, Trailer Tow IV, 430N, Skid Plates, Quadra-Trac II w/Selec-Terrain
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 54
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1395
dwaleke is on a distinguished road
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005JGC View Post
We just had a guy leave and go into the airforce at my dealer... one of the last conversations I had with him he said that he just didnt have what it took to do stuff fast "like you" he said because he did stuff right... To which I responded "so because I do it fast I am doing it wrong"? Some of the best techs do stuff fast, not because they are hack artists and onto the next 10hr gravy boat, but because they have done it dozens of times, know what to remove, how to remove it and a pretty good idea of what tools are needed before the job starts. The speed at which a job is done doesnt deturming the repair quality, its the tech... and if your tech friends do poor quality, fast work, the poor quality is on your friends.
Funny you should type this. I know you're not defending all mechanics and I understand you can be fast at what you do. Heck most of us with jobs are good at what we do and do our jobs better and faster than most other people. Look at this.

I just got done doing my first oil change this afternoon. As I was changing it I found this (pic attached). As I stated I had my Jeep in for an alignment. They seemed to have fixed the alignment although the steering wheel is off center. I don't mind a whole lot simply because I know how hard it is to get that perfect and to some "center" is relative. I figured I'll just fix it in spring in my own garage. Perfectly capable of doing this stuff myself. It's just 10 degrees F outside and don't want to lay under a snowy wet car for a couple hours measuring stuff.

Well as I'm changing my oil I spot a set a vice grips (or channel locks - everyone seems to call them something different) snapped onto my tie rod. I think to myself. Ok the mechanic left it there by mistake when adjusting toe. Well not only that but the jam nut is lose and I can freely turn the tie rod with my hand making an adjustment. Completely unacceptable. I tightened the jam nut and removed the vice grips. What kind of service is this? Pretty much exactly what I expect from a dealership tech. I have a hundred more horror stories of stuff over the years.

Just goes to show that if you want something done right you just have to do it yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20110123-00005.jpg (260.8 KB, 43 views)
__________________
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X, Hemi, Trailer Tow IV, 430N, Skid Plates, Quadra-Trac II w/Selec-Terrain
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:51 PM
SvenskaJeepGuy's Avatar
Let's Roll
My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Scranton PA
Posts: 13,091
Thanks: 140
Thanked 163 Times in 153 Posts
Rep Power: 1255359
SvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeGuy View Post
Coming up on 7000K
i would rotate after 7,000,000 miles too HAHA
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 962
Thanks: 32
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 2922
Cherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond reputeCherodude has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Wow, dwaleke! I suppose you will be having an interesting conversation with your service manager with photo and vice grips in hand. lol!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:54 PM
SvenskaJeepGuy's Avatar
Let's Roll
My Jeep: 2005 4.7L WK
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Scranton PA
Posts: 13,091
Thanks: 140
Thanked 163 Times in 153 Posts
Rep Power: 1255359
SvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond reputeSvenskaJeepGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Funny you should type this. I know you're not defending all mechanics and I understand you can be fast at what you do. Heck most of us with jobs are good at what we do and do our jobs better and faster than most other people. Look at this.

I just got done doing my first oil change this afternoon. As I was changing it I found this (pic attached). As I stated I had my Jeep in for an alignment. They seemed to have fixed the alignment although the steering wheel is off center. I don't mind a whole lot simply because I know how hard it is to get that perfect and to some "center" is relative. I figured I'll just fix it in spring in my own garage. Perfectly capable of doing this stuff myself. It's just 10 degrees F outside and don't want to lay under a snowy wet car for a couple hours measuring stuff.

Well as I'm changing my oil I spot a set a vice grips (or channel locks - everyone seems to call them something different) snapped onto my tie rod. I think to myself. Ok the mechanic left it there by mistake when adjusting toe. Well not only that but the jam nut is lose and I can freely turn the tie rod with my hand making an adjustment. Completely unacceptable. I tightened the jam nut and removed the vice grips. What kind of service is this? Pretty much exactly what I expect from a dealership tech. I have a hundred more horror stories of stuff over the years.

Just goes to show that if you want something done right you just have to do it yourself.

that is classic, i once had a dealer leave a ratchet and socket under my hood. how did their service department explain that one?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-23-2011, 09:30 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 417
Thanks: 3
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1905
Radside has a reputation beyond reputeRadside has a reputation beyond repute
Re: So i scheduled an appointment to have my oil changed and tires rotated and....

I had a tech leave a witech in my jeep the first time I took it in...needless to say, they called me before I got back home. They have been extremely nice to me since returning it.
__________________

__________________
2011 Black Berry Laredo X
Chrome Running Boards
Chrome Fog Bezel
Shark Fin Antennal
MyGig 430N
20" SRT REPS (9"wide)
Good Year Fortera 265 50R/20
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not yet scheduled bozer Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 11-29-2010 09:39 PM
Changed oil today.... STIX Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 16 11-02-2010 01:39 PM
4.0 oil pump oil pan modification fyrman1 Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK 1 06-08-2010 08:44 PM
Re-scheduled Maryland Hooters Meet Chaoul1 SouthEast 76 01-09-2010 07:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community