Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:15 AM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 6
Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 4532
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

Took my 2014 GC in for the ACC software update recall. There was another software update that needed to be done too (not sure which were done since their computer system went down so couldn't give me a post service printout).

So, was at the dealership I have been going to for about a year or so now as it is new and close by. Have worked with one service advisor who has always done right by me.

Get the GC back after the software updates and I start it to drive away and the defrost (with heat) is on nearly full blast (it is 90+ and humid in Miami area today, yesterday 1 degree away from all time high temp).

I play around with the settings thinking the software update changed some settings which it did (horn on lock, etc.). A/C won't work.....argh. On Auto it goes to defrost with heat....oh noooo. Fool around with it more, turn off vehicle, turn on vehicle. A/C only comes on when manually turn on A/C and choose MAX A/C which also recirculates. Argh. I just use Auto and never really recirculate for cold, only if bad air outside on rare occasion. Even then it is not cold-cold like before.

I go back in and explain that something with the flash didn't take and needs to be re-flashed or another software update is missing. Something is not right....obviously.

My trusted service advisor - who has always done me right and is a good guy - plays around with it and says well with the update that must be the way it is supposed to be. I look at him like "huh?". No this isn't right. He then gets it to work by selecting MAX A/C and says all is good now. He goes back inside. I get in and turn MAX A/C off and sure enough goes to defrost heat. Argh.

I go back in but service advisor is out in the shop. Finally comes back in and again I explain the issue. He tries to convince me that that is the way it is supposed to be and that the software updates wouldn't have affected the A/C operations etc. I look at him like, well it reset other settings, etc. and my A/C was working just fine before the updates. He says he can get it to work if turn on from inside but not with remote start. But I said I use the remote start when far away in a parking lot a vehicles it cool inside by the time I get there, I use auto, A/C has been great. He tries to insist that that is the way it supposedly must be now. I look at him and say it's 90 degrees and the defrost comes on, that's not right. He says well it works when you select A/C ... so I'd have to manually select it each time otherwise the heat would be on. After insisting that it isn't right he said one other person had the same thing and that was the way it is supposed to be. At this point I'm like I'll leave the GC for the day if need be...the techs are pretty stacked up right now (a lessor trained express tech is the one that did the flashes).... argh. But I am insistent that it isn't right, period.

He takes the GC back to station, consults another guy. They have to take it to another station. 10 more minutes. Back now, says all is working now. At this point I am a little bit skeptical. He says it is working now, that they had to do a HARD RESET with one of the software updates which involves disconnecting the battery....he says that the battery disconnect for the hard reset was NOT in the instructions which is why it wasn't done earlier. So basically another guy had figured it out with another vehicle that was having a problem. So I said see I knew something wasn't right, we laughed and all works now.

The lesson is, some of these software updates require a hard reset via battery disconnect. So if you have an issue after a software update, it may simply be that they missed this simple step.

BTW - he also said my GC was the only one so far that had the CV boot clamp issue.

Anyway....I hope this might be helpful to someone....
__________________

__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan JGC For This Useful Post:
  #2  
Old 07-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 1,873
Thanks: 283
Thanked 88 Times in 71 Posts
Rep Power: 4883
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

I can imagine that sometimes a "bit" gets out of whack when some updates get done...especially when there are multiples applied. A reset makes sense to clear that. 'Glad things are back to working for you!
__________________

__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Nitto NT421Q "shoes"



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-29-2014, 06:06 PM
MDBones's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 1,180
Thanks: 51
Thanked 101 Times in 89 Posts
Rep Power: 1907
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

That's good news and info, Dan.
__________________

Garage: The Ghost
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-29-2014, 09:41 PM
New Member
My Jeep: 2014
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 1
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
South Dakota Jeep Lover is on a distinguished road
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

Thanks for posting this info. Today, I took my 2014 GC to the dealer for a N58 Instrument Cluster update and was pretty upset driving home from the dealer. I experienced the same thing with my AC. As soon as I got home I called the dealer asking why my AC is not working the same as it did when I left the vehicle. The service dept. had no idea what may be causing this problem. I am taking my vehicle back to the dealer tomorrow morning along with a copy of your post. I hope a hard reset fixes this problem! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:42 PM
vzwman's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 40
Thanks: 5
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1162
vzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond reputevzwman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

I flashed my new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland for the Hot Cabin issue back several months ago to resolve the inside temp for AC cooling. AC unit has worked fine until a new PCM module flash came out last month. I flashed my PCM with the new update and for some reason it messed up my calibration for the AC blend doors. If your Jeep has the Auto AC unit then tell your dealer to do a recalibration on your blend doors for your AC unit. This will resolve your problem. I have no idea why the new PCM flash is causing the blend doors to get out of calibration, but that is what's going on with your AC unit.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:02 PM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 6
Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 4532
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Dakota Jeep Lover View Post
Thanks for posting this info. Today, I took my 2014 GC to the dealer for a N58 Instrument Cluster update and was pretty upset driving home from the dealer. I experienced the same thing with my AC. As soon as I got home I called the dealer asking why my AC is not working the same as it did when I left the vehicle. The service dept. had no idea what may be causing this problem. I am taking my vehicle back to the dealer tomorrow morning along with a copy of your post. I hope a hard reset fixes this problem! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Fortunately, it only takes a few minutes....like 5 minutes. You'll be in and out in no time...
__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:06 PM
Dan JGC's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,100
Thanks: 6
Thanked 79 Times in 65 Posts
Rep Power: 4532
Dan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond reputeDan JGC has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzwman View Post
I flashed my new 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland for the Hot Cabin issue back several months ago to resolve the inside temp for AC cooling. AC unit has worked fine until a new PCM module flash came out last month. I flashed my PCM with the new update and for some reason it messed up my calibration for the AC blend doors. If your Jeep has the Auto AC unit then tell your dealer to do a recalibration on your blend doors for your AC unit. This will resolve your problem. I have no idea why the new PCM flash is causing the blend doors to get out of calibration, but that is what's going on with your AC unit.
The service rep said something like hard reset of VM or something. Didn't get my paperwork as their computer system was down. Not sure about blender doors with mine as it was blowing hot air. Odd that using FOB remote start would practically not allow much A/C as even when manually selected it was hardly even cool. Anyway, works just like before now...nice and cold.
__________________
||||||| 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 V8 in Bright White Clear Coat exterior with Grand Canyon Jeep Brown interior. |||||||
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2014, 11:23 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,243
Thanks: 40
Thanked 93 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 2390
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan JGC View Post
Took my 2014 GC in for the ACC software update recall. There was another software update that needed to be done too (not sure which were done since their computer system went down so couldn't give me a post service printout).

So, was at the dealership I have been going to for about a year or so now as it is new and close by. Have worked with one service advisor who has always done right by me.

Get the GC back after the software updates and I start it to drive away and the defrost (with heat) is on nearly full blast (it is 90+ and humid in Miami area today, yesterday 1 degree away from all time high temp).

I play around with the settings thinking the software update changed some settings which it did (horn on lock, etc.). A/C won't work.....argh. On Auto it goes to defrost with heat....oh noooo. Fool around with it more, turn off vehicle, turn on vehicle. A/C only comes on when manually turn on A/C and choose MAX A/C which also recirculates. Argh. I just use Auto and never really recirculate for cold, only if bad air outside on rare occasion. Even then it is not cold-cold like before.

I go back in and explain that something with the flash didn't take and needs to be re-flashed or another software update is missing. Something is not right....obviously.

My trusted service advisor - who has always done me right and is a good guy - plays around with it and says well with the update that must be the way it is supposed to be. I look at him like "huh?". No this isn't right. He then gets it to work by selecting MAX A/C and says all is good now. He goes back inside. I get in and turn MAX A/C off and sure enough goes to defrost heat. Argh.

I go back in but service advisor is out in the shop. Finally comes back in and again I explain the issue. He tries to convince me that that is the way it is supposed to be and that the software updates wouldn't have affected the A/C operations etc. I look at him like, well it reset other settings, etc. and my A/C was working just fine before the updates. He says he can get it to work if turn on from inside but not with remote start. But I said I use the remote start when far away in a parking lot a vehicles it cool inside by the time I get there, I use auto, A/C has been great. He tries to insist that that is the way it supposedly must be now. I look at him and say it's 90 degrees and the defrost comes on, that's not right. He says well it works when you select A/C ... so I'd have to manually select it each time otherwise the heat would be on. After insisting that it isn't right he said one other person had the same thing and that was the way it is supposed to be. At this point I'm like I'll leave the GC for the day if need be...the techs are pretty stacked up right now (a lessor trained express tech is the one that did the flashes).... argh. But I am insistent that it isn't right, period.

He takes the GC back to station, consults another guy. They have to take it to another station. 10 more minutes. Back now, says all is working now. At this point I am a little bit skeptical. He says it is working now, that they had to do a HARD RESET with one of the software updates which involves disconnecting the battery....he says that the battery disconnect for the hard reset was NOT in the instructions which is why it wasn't done earlier. So basically another guy had figured it out with another vehicle that was having a problem. So I said see I knew something wasn't right, we laughed and all works now.

The lesson is, some of these software updates require a hard reset via battery disconnect. So if you have an issue after a software update, it may simply be that they missed this simple step.

BTW - he also said my GC was the only one so far that had the CV boot clamp issue.

Anyway....I hope this might be helpful to someone....
Was probably the "vehicle enhancements flash" they flash the BCM. Mine did same thing with auto ac non functional, dealer had no idea what to do and opened a star case. I went home pulled the battery cable and fixed it myself lol. Battrry cable pull has solved weird electrical gremlins a few times for me. Ive learned one of the first things to try on these jeeps. Just reboot
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-30-2014, 02:35 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 166
GreenGreySS is on a distinguished road
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

Good information. Treat it like a Windows XP computer. If all else fails, reboot. NICE!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-30-2014, 06:41 AM
Paradiso's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 674
Paradiso is on a distinguished road
Can't you perform a hard reset via the head unit? Holding down the drivers side hot/cold brings up a menu of options.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-30-2014, 07:04 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 694
Thanks: 49
Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 2279
Roki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond reputeRoki303 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Software Updates - HARD RESET NEEDED

That is only for radio ... I belive.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 Jeep GC, V6, Black/Indigo with Adv Tech Package and ORAII
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2014, 07:45 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,243
Thanks: 40
Thanked 93 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 2390
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
Can't you perform a hard reset via the head unit? Holding down the drivers side hot/cold brings up a menu of options.
No thats only the radio you need to reset all of the modules battery pull does that
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
update

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software updates, radio, trans Stevm65 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-22-2013 11:54 AM
Software updates for suspension Yadkin Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 2 08-21-2013 03:21 PM
Just got my free 2013 Map and software updates 2.126 armoredsaint Audio/Visual/Navigation 132 06-10-2013 08:30 AM
Software Updates to the RHR ccarper Audio/Visual/Navigation 116 03-22-2013 06:29 PM
2011 WK2 "software updates" SEA_GC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 01-13-2012 07:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.