Three Years Later - Trying Again - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 AM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 550
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 238034
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Three Years Later - Trying Again

After 2014 GC Totally $#@% dead, and three years of a "safe" lease, a Honda CR-V that gave us 43K completely trouble-free miles, my wife and I are ready to try again what I call the "singing siren that's potentially luring us onto the rocks."

TL : DR on that is we were one of the lucky ones who got caught with an early 2014 that had a loose ground strap. Not going to go into the rest because I don't want to carry over any bad juju to this one.

Basically, in three years, we never lost our love for the Grand Cherokee, despite the fact that our last one gave us several horrifying months. I've been checking out the forums, and all the major issues seem to have settled out, including the big nitpick I had with the shifter, which I see has been changed for 2016.

For cross-shopping, we lived with an Edge for a week while our car was being repaired from a side-swipe. It was nice, but I much prefer the styling of the GC, inside & out. Also looked at the new Acadia All-Terrain, which is VERY nice, but which is just over our budget and has cloth seats (pretty much a no-no when you have a young child). Also test drove the new CX-9 and LOVED it. 310ft/lbs of torque at ~2K will do that to you, and I have to say the interior quality is on par with a few luxury vehicles I've sat in, and the new external design is uber-premium. Lease rate wasn't favorable though, and even though the Touring CX-9 was cheaper than the Limited GC, the cash Jeep is throwing in on the leases meant the Mazda would have been $100 more a month. Would have pulled the trigger on the Mazda, but that's a big difference.

So today I stopped in the Jeep dealership by work with some numbers given to me by my broker, and we got close enough to make it work. What sold me was that this dealer has full towing anywhere within 100 miles or so, and loaner cars if anything goes wrong. I'm also told they're one of the largest Jeep dealers in the world by volume, and that their service department is pretty good. In the NY area, I'll settle for pretty good, since most Jeep dealers around here have, um, "reputations."

I recently sold my 2002 Wrangler for a CPO 2012 Wrangler, and the dealership (one by the house) handed over my new-to-me Wrangler with a leaking rear axle seal, one rear caliper that was digging into the rotor because the pad was GONE (they said they were new brakes, just let them wear in and the scraping noise will go away), and - my favorite - a nail in the spare tire that I only discovered months later. Dealers.

So, I'm sorry for the long post, but I'm excited to be back, and we are hoping for a MUCH more pleasant experience this time around!

Tomorrow I pick up our 2016 Limited in white with NAV, sunroof, and blind spot system. Wanted a trailer package and 9-speaker stereo, but apparently there are none within around 500 miles or so. Dealer had 20 of the model I wanted on the lot. Eight in white, twelve in Granite.

Guess I'll be looking around here to see what the best aftermarket trailer hitch is.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-22-2016, 12:49 AM
Governor's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alabama
Posts: 2,372
Thanks: 1,169
Thanked 414 Times in 390 Posts
Rep Power: 80335
Governor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond reputeGovernor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Welcome back.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2016, 08:09 AM
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,077
Thanks: 71
Thanked 214 Times in 143 Posts
Rep Power: 19312
protect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond reputeprotect1989 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Congrats and welcome back! You can get the jeep factory hitch installed post purchase. It will look exactly like it came from the factory. The towing rating is going to be slightly less but more than enough for the average user.

I added the towing package to my vehicle aftermarket. I had the dealer paint the black bezel that surrounds the hitch to factory match my vehicle (Trailer Hitch Install with Color Match Bezel). I love the way it looks. Blends in with the vehicle so much more.
__________________
2015 Overland V6
Billet Silver
Advanced Tech
Mods: Gunvault, Rear Slush Mat, Tint, Valentine One, LED Fog lamps, Michelin Premier LTX

Previous Jeeps:
2007 & 2011 - Laredo
2014 - Limited

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Boston area
Posts: 267
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2502
David_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond reputeDavid_Hart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc2002 View Post
Tomorrow I pick up our 2016 Limited in white with NAV, sunroof, and blind spot system. Wanted a trailer package and 9-speaker stereo, but apparently there are none within around 500 miles or so. Dealer had 20 of the model I wanted on the lot. Eight in white, twelve in Granite.
I bought a Billet silver 2014 Limited in July of 2013, after they had worked out most of the initial issues found in the early builds. 3 years later I and still love it.

Personally, I wouldn't have gone with white. My first car was white and had a 4 cylinder engine, both of which I vowed to never buy again. 4 cylinder engines have come a long way since but white is still white. It shows every spec of dirt. The plus side is that it is a bit cooler in the summer but that's what A/C is for...


Quote:
Originally Posted by amc2002 View Post
Guess I'll be looking around here to see what the best aftermarket trailer hitch is.
I would go with the Jeep trailer hitch. As mentioned you can get it installed and activated (don't forget to get the dealer to activate the harness) after purchase.

This is the way I went because I didn't want the full towing package with the load leveling shocks, just the hitch to tow a 20' boat and small utility trailers.

Good luck with your new Jeep!!
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.6L v6 Billet Silver, Black leather interior (new)
x 2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 3.5L v6 Sunlit Copper, Black leather interior (new)
x 1995 Ford Mustang 3.8L v6 Automatic Silver, Red cloth interior (used)
x 1986 Mercury Lynx 1.9L 4cyl Manual 3-door Hatchback white, grey cloth interior (used)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2016, 03:38 PM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 550
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 238034
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Hart View Post
I bought a Billet silver 2014 Limited in July of 2013, after they had worked out most of the initial issues found in the early builds. 3 years later I and still love it.
That's when we bought. I was one of a bunch of us on this board that had issues with them. Glad some of you were spared.

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't have gone with white. My first car was white and had a 4 cylinder engine, both of which I vowed to never buy again. 4 cylinder engines have come a long way since but white is still white. It shows every spec of dirt. The plus side is that it is a bit cooler in the summer but that's what A/C is for...
We had Granite on the last one and loved it, but lately I've been noticing the white ones, and they just have that premium look about them, so that's what we got. I've had white cars before with no issues. Right now, we have a black CR-V. You wanna talk about a color I'll never get again. We've always had black vehicles and I think I'm finally done with them. They look awesome right after you wash them, but that's about it.

As for 4-cylinder cars, you should drive that new CX-9. The tremendous torque at takeoff is just amazing. It's a bit anemic on the highway when passing if you use regular fuel from what I'm told (HP goes down to 227 or something from 250 when using premium), but man, that torque...

Quote:
I would go with the Jeep trailer hitch. As mentioned you can get it installed and activated (don't forget to get the dealer to activate the harness) after purchase.
Yeah, this and the comment above (thanks) made the case. It looks great. MOPAR all the way.

Thanks for the kind wishes everyone! Just picked it up!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2016, 10:47 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 246
Thanks: 5
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 912
EasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

I'm guessing you went to Brown's to get your GC which is where I picked up my HA and wife's Limited back in November, I'm coming from an Audi and she from a BMW and we've both been pleasantly surprised with the Jeeps so far. Good luck with the new ride, I haven't taken mine to Brown's for service because I'm out in the Hamptons and there's a dealer in Southampton who have been great so far.
__________________
2015 Overland High Altitude / Billet Silver / Hemi / Harman Kardon / Volant CAI / Hellwig sway bar / AAR links / 22x10 SRT wheels
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2016, 11:29 PM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 550
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 238034
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternLI View Post
I'm guessing you went to Brown's to get your GC which is where I picked up my HA and wife's Limited back in November, I'm coming from an Audi and she from a BMW and we've both been pleasantly surprised with the Jeeps so far. Good luck with the new ride, I haven't taken mine to Brown's for service because I'm out in the Hamptons and there's a dealer in Southampton who have been great so far.
Actually, I got it at Westbury. They're the one with all the "VIP" services. Browns is my local dealer though (Westbury is by work).

I bought my 2012 CPO Wrangler at Browns. They sold it to me with a leaking axle seal, a rear brake caliper that was digging into the rotor (they told me the scraping sound was the new pads breaking in - come to find out they weren't only NOT new, but they were shot), a shifter that had been glued together and fell apart, a broken tailgate lock, an open recall (possible mirror wiring fire), a non working parking brake, and a nail in the spare tire.

They took care of all but the last item (found the flat spare too late) under the CPO three month warranty over FOUR trips, but what a hassle. I thought CPO meant you go over the vehicle?

I bought a CPO because I knew I'd find things that needed taking care of. At least Browns took care of them.

The bubbling paint on the door hinges they said don't even ask, because it's not happening. Thought it was worth a try. I know its a common Wrangler issue that is sometimes approved.

If you're happy with your service department, I'd stick with them.

I have heard Westbury has a great service dept. I'd hope so. I've been to their service location to buy parts for my old Jeep. Its a huge operation.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2016, 07:31 AM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,877
Thanks: 90
Thanked 629 Times in 459 Posts
Rep Power: 28892
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Congrats and welcome back!
Regarding the Mazda, I will say I have never been into Mazda's and even though I have owned a bunch of cars, a Mazda was never one. Never even sparked my interest until I saw that commercial for the new CX-9. I will honestly say I was blown away it was a Mazda. They had some nice views of the interior and you would have easily thought it was a Mercedes or Jaguar or something very expensive like that.
Another car that I think looks pretty cool is the brand new Edge Sport. Not familiar with the interior, but the exterior is sharp looking!
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2016, 09:06 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Long Island
Posts: 246
Thanks: 5
Thanked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Rep Power: 912
EasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond reputeEasternLI has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc2002 View Post
Actually, I got it at Westbury. They're the one with all the "VIP" services. Browns is my local dealer though (Westbury is by work).

I bought my 2012 CPO Wrangler at Browns. They sold it to me with a leaking axle seal, a rear brake caliper that was digging into the rotor (they told me the scraping sound was the new pads breaking in - come to find out they weren't only NOT new, but they were shot), a shifter that had been glued together and fell apart, a broken tailgate lock, an open recall (possible mirror wiring fire), a non working parking brake, and a nail in the spare tire.

They took care of all but the last item (found the flat spare too late) under the CPO three month warranty over FOUR trips, but what a hassle. I thought CPO meant you go over the vehicle?

I bought a CPO because I knew I'd find things that needed taking care of. At least Browns took care of them.

The bubbling paint on the door hinges they said don't even ask, because it's not happening. Thought it was worth a try. I know its a common Wrangler issue that is sometimes approved.

If you're happy with your service department, I'd stick with them.

I have heard Westbury has a great service dept. I'd hope so. I've been to their service location to buy parts for my old Jeep. Its a huge operation.
If Westbury does more volume then Brown's they must be massive because when I picked up my GC Brown's had 200+ in stock to look at. As for service departments none of them will probably touch the treatment I got at the Audi/Porsche dealer but I never expected they would, so far they took care of my mixed up center console and did a couple TSB's without any hassle and in a couple weeks I have the shifter TSB so hope that's just as quick and painless. Again good luck with the ride, hope this one is trouble free.
__________________
2015 Overland High Altitude / Billet Silver / Hemi / Harman Kardon / Volant CAI / Hellwig sway bar / AAR links / 22x10 SRT wheels
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2016, 09:59 AM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 550
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 238034
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
Congrats and welcome back!
Regarding the Mazda, I will say I have never been into Mazda's and even though I have owned a bunch of cars, a Mazda was never one. Never even sparked my interest until I saw that commercial for the new CX-9. I will honestly say I was blown away it was a Mazda. They had some nice views of the interior and you would have easily thought it was a Mercedes or Jaguar or something very expensive like that.
Another car that I think looks pretty cool is the brand new Edge Sport. Not familiar with the interior, but the exterior is sharp looking!
Not to turn this into a Mazda lovefest, but the interior is even more gorgeous than the exterior. The leather seats felt thick and rich (better than our Limited's by quite a bit), and all the surfaces were soft-touch plastic. The higher models ($45K range) have wood accents. The heads-up display was pretty awesome too.

I remember the CEO for Spyker cars once saying something like - give me $800 extra for an interior, and I can get you $3-5K back in the sticker. It's what people touch and sit in every day.

It's an amazing vehicle. During the test drive, we fell in love with it. It's much more carlike than the GC, which can be good or bad, but it supposedly has the same 4wd system as the CX-5, which has tested pretty much equal to Subaru's system, and better than Toyota/Honda.

It was pretty much neck and neck between the GC and Mazda, but the $5K cash back from Jeep right now sealed it.

Every day now, my wife says how much she loves the Jeep. "It's just the most wonderful vehicle." I don't think she even remembers the Mazda at this point. lol
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 550
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 238034
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Three Years Later - Trying Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternLI View Post
If Westbury does more volume then Brown's they must be massive because when I picked up my GC Brown's had 200+ in stock to look at. As for service departments none of them will probably touch the treatment I got at the Audi/Porsche dealer but I never expected they would, so far they took care of my mixed up center console and did a couple TSB's without any hassle and in a couple weeks I have the shifter TSB so hope that's just as quick and painless. Again good luck with the ride, hope this one is trouble free.
Thanks, Eastern!

Yeah, Audi/Porsche I would expect to be tops. My dad owned an Infiniti once, and he said every time he went in there, he was treated like royalty.

Westbury is massive. When I looked, they had something like 200+ Limited's in stock - that's *just* Limited GC's. I went to their service department a year or so ago to get a part for my 2002 Wrangler that I thought no one would have, and they had it. Their parts & service department is located in a whole other area of town, and it's like an assembly line - they have like two or three lanes incoming into their service dept for Jeeps to line up in the morning for maintenance or service.

My sales guy said they're the biggest Jeep dealer by volume in the world. I don't know about that, but somewhere else I read they're the biggest in the Northeast. From what I've seen, I'd figure that's accurate. I was in the showroom on a Thursday night and it was hopping.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIL & P20EE again & again & again... echo7tango 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 561 05-24-2016 11:34 AM
Flat battery again..and again..and again..etc. spikelet Troubleshooting/Problems 4 07-15-2013 09:34 AM
Three years from now ... bill_de Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 17 04-07-2013 06:26 PM
What is the warranty on the Wk2 SRT? 3 years or 5 years standard? mlarco52 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 2 08-30-2011 03:26 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.