Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 07-03-2013, 10:35 PM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927059
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Towing with your GC - Specific 2014 Capacity Question as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Pilot View Post
Hi, all, - also paging Willx possibly?,
Yo Page Answered....

Read Here: 2014 JGC Towing Review w/Pictures and Stats

Just did the complete test with an Equalizer. Please read my Air Suspension notes and the fact the Jeep Engineers got it completely correct.

THX!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 18
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 495
brady420 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post

Yo Page Answered....

Read Here: 2014 JGC Towing Review w/Pictures and Stats

Just did the complete test with an Equalizer. Please read my Air Suspension notes and the fact the Jeep Engineers got it completely correct.

THX!
Awesome! I'll move to the other thread for questions!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 52
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1421
Video_Pilot has a reputation beyond reputeVideo_Pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willx View Post

Yo Page Answered....

Read Here: 2014 JGC Towing Review w/Pictures and Stats

Just did the complete test with an Equalizer. Please read my Air Suspension notes and the fact the Jeep Engineers got it completely correct.

THX!
Great read Willx! Still have questions though. Sorry if I'm just not getting this (proper equalizer bar tension setting with the 14 JGC self leveling suspension). Here is my connection scenario, - my trailer is parked level in my back yard, so when I am backing the TV up to it (TV is perpendicular to the alley and the alley would have a slope for drainage) and put the weight on the tongue, the the two units (trailer and TV) are not level. So what I would normally do (no auto leveling) before I put the equalizer bars on, would be to pull the trailer out so both units are on level ground in the alley, then put the bars on (chain links type for adjustment and 3 links hanging loose was a good adjustment for my current 2006 4Runner). Also used a friction style anti-sway bar for good measure. All good, many happy miles with the setup.

Now with the new GC TV, would I basically do the same thing?, - that is assuming that the GC does not try to auto level while pulling the 10 feet or so to get to level ground. I would then put the tension on the equalizer bars to just about level the GC like my 4Runner would have been? Now, from what you are saying, when I drive, at some point the GC will auto level the rest of the way to totally level the TV. Will this now not change the tension (making the tension more if the GC back end is coming up a bit more) maybe at the risk of too much tension now? Am I just over thinking this?

For reference, my current RV is a 17' with GVWR OF 3800 lbs and tongue weight of 400 lbs or so. Child's play power wise for the Pentastar and 8 speed transmission (on a test tow up some pretty good grades at Hiway speed that the dealer let me do). My longer term plan is to go to a 20' RV that would be more like 5000 - 5500 GVWR and 550 - 600 lb or so tongue weight, which I'm sure will still be well within the Pentastar capabilities power wise. So not as important with my current lighter RV, but I want to get this as right as I can for later with the heavier RV.

Hope this is in the right posting area now?, and sorry if I'm missing something obvious here ( and for the long- winded post). Appreciate any help, - just don't trust that a dealer is going to give me an educated answer. Is there a number at Jeep anyone knows of that may be able to give me a good technical answer if the user group here isn't sure?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 52
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1421
Video_Pilot has a reputation beyond reputeVideo_Pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Bump, - or should I be posting this in a different thread?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927059
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Towing with your GC - Specific 2014 Capacity Question as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Pilot View Post
Bump, - or should I be posting this in a different thread?
No, I just got side tracked... responding now....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927059
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Towing with your GC - Specific 2014 Capacity Question as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Pilot View Post
Great read Willx! Still have questions though. Sorry if I'm just not getting this (proper equalizer bar tension setting with the 14 JGC self leveling suspension). Here is my connection scenario, - my trailer is parked level in my back yard, so when I am backing the TV up to it (TV is perpendicular to the alley and the alley would have a slope for drainage) and put the weight on the tongue, the the two units (trailer and TV) are not level. So what I would normally do (no auto leveling) before I put the equalizer bars on, would be to pull the trailer out so both units are on level ground in the alley, then put the bars on (chain links type for adjustment and 3 links hanging loose was a good adjustment for my current 2006 4Runner). Also used a friction style anti-sway bar for good measure. All good, many happy miles with the setup.

Now with the new GC TV, would I basically do the same thing?, - that is assuming that the GC does not try to auto level while pulling the 10 feet or so to get to level ground. I would then put the tension on the equalizer bars to just about level the GC like my 4Runner would have been? Now, from what you are saying, when I drive, at some point the GC will auto level the rest of the way to totally level the TV. Will this now not change the tension (making the tension more if the GC back end is coming up a bit more) maybe at the risk of too much tension now? Am I just over thinking this?

For reference, my current RV is a 17' with GVWR OF 3800 lbs and tongue weight of 400 lbs or so. Child's play power wise for the Pentastar and 8 speed transmission (on a test tow up some pretty good grades at Hiway speed that the dealer let me do). My longer term plan is to go to a 20' RV that would be more like 5000 - 5500 GVWR and 550 - 600 lb or so tongue weight, which I'm sure will still be well within the Pentastar capabilities power wise. So not as important with my current lighter RV, but I want to get this as right as I can for later with the heavier RV.

Hope this is in the right posting area now?, and sorry if I'm missing something obvious here ( and for the long- winded post). Appreciate any help, - just don't trust that a dealer is going to give me an educated answer. Is there a number at Jeep anyone knows of that may be able to give me a good technical answer if the user group here isn't sure?
OK, Couple of things to consider here....

The GC will start to level fairly quickly but this doesn't really matter much, all it will do is make it easier to get your chain system in place (mine is all bars no chains). Once you change that leverage setting the Grand Cherokee will again adjust for the difference in suspension pressure and level itself off once moving.

Because the air suspension does not need to have the added spring that a fixed suspension requires (for weight that gets added) and the air suspension simply adjusts to the added weight, it is much softer initially. So you may find that in trying to get your trailer from where it is that it sinks too much to drive properly. You can always add height via lift to move it to a comfortable area to set up your bars (gonna call this Aussie Trailer lift).

Now setting up your Bars (chains) is a little more complicated. If you look at the pictures in the trailering review thread I did, the bars are setup with a lot of forward pitch (the right amount) but the rear end still sits squat on intitial load up. This is again because the suspension is fairly soft..... I suppose I could try loading it in Sport (Aero mode) and see if that is a better judge, but here is where the 7" Cluster comes in.

Load the Bars (Chains) the way you believe it should be (doesn't match the recommended measurements if I gauge the wheel well spacing the way Equalizer tells you). Then take your trailer and truck for a drive, with the display showing Wheel Articulation. With the added weight properly distributed as you are driving you will see all wheels change articulation with the rears changing slightly more so (with 800 pounds I see the yellow drive shafts appear on every wheel intermittently). If you see a huge amount of articulation in the rear and not the front, you don't have enough forward pressure. Frankly, this is the first time I have seen where I can visually check the loading at each wheel because I can see the stress as it is applied. It likely will not show as much with a lighter trailer but I found this information to be absolutely huge to me.

Because of what I was seeing in the display, I actually adjusted my hitch and maybe that is part of my positive experience. Everything else needed to be measured by my Butt and hand sensors in the past .

Hopefully this answers what you were trying to understand. Feel free to ask for clarification on anything. I am a little less available over the next few days so I apologize for any delay but I will get back to you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:36 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 52
Thanks: 3
Thanked 12 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1421
Video_Pilot has a reputation beyond reputeVideo_Pilot has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure if I'm still getting it 100% Willx, but using the 7" cluster sounds like a great approach. I think initially (before any driving other than getting it into the alley) I will not a lot of tension on the bars. Then go for a bit of a drive watching the 7"display as you explained, and see how the bar tension seems once I come to a stop again. Was mostly afraid of getting into a situation where the air leveling caused dangerous force on the equalizer bars. Will probably make a lot more sense to me once I'm actually doing it. Would be nice if Jeep had some explanation in the owners manual for setup with auto leveling suspension. All it says is to use an equalizer setup after 3500 lb trailer weight.

Thanks again for your help an responses.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:47 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927059
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video_Pilot View Post
Not sure if I'm still getting it 100% Willx, but using the 7" cluster sounds like a great approach. I think initially (before any driving other than getting it into the alley) I will not a lot of tension on the bars. Then go for a bit of a drive watching the 7"display as you explained, and see how the bar tension seems once I come to a stop again. Was mostly afraid of getting into a situation where the air leveling caused dangerous force on the equalizer bars. Will probably make a lot more sense to me once I'm actually doing it. Would be nice if Jeep had some explanation in the owners manual for setup with auto leveling suspension. All it says is to use an equalizer setup after 3500 lb trailer weight.

Thanks again for your help an responses.
You should take a closer look at the WD bars I use... Equalizer is the actual brand. In the situation with my system the angle between the tow vehicle and the trailer does affect things but really when you are joining up on flat ground, you can feel when there is too much force but I think it is the opposite of what you picture.

As the tow vehicle raises it is taking the pressure off of the bars not adding to. When using my system you actually lift the back end a little with the trailer Jack to make it easier, so in essence this is the same thing the air suspension will do. The test drive will usually indicate you are not applying enough pressure.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-10-2013, 12:12 PM
mattie_b's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2008 3.8L JK
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 74
Thanks: 18
Thanked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6301
mattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond reputemattie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Reluctantly at first, now with excitement, I've decided to opt for the 1500 diesel over the JGC. Hopefully pricing information (MSRP vs. Invoice) will be revealed somewhere soon.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 589
magiaone is on a distinguished road
Here is what I tow- used to tow it with a 10 ram 1500 5.7L. Tows it no problem, 22ft Tahoe Bowrider with my 14 V6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-1820626916.jpg (492.6 KB, 55 views)
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland
Maximum Steel Blue
Indigo/ Jeep Brown
3.6L V6
Jeep Slush Mats
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Willx's Avatar
Moderator - MOTS jr.


My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 4,884
Thanks: 529
Thanked 859 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 1927059
Willx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond reputeWillx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Nice ride, just pulled with my Durango again the other day, the jeep rides so much nicer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:18 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 414
JPTT is on a distinguished road
Re: Towing with your GC - Specific 2014 Capacity Question as well.

Question about Auto Leveling. Is this the Quadra lift system option package or the auto leveling that is mentioned as part of the towing package? I have a 2014 JGC with towing package. When I place the tongue on the hitch the rear end drops down and the front end comes up. I notice no leveling when I start the jeep up. So I am confused about what the auto leveling is.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing Capacity Gunnr Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK 11 06-09-2013 01:04 PM
Towing Capacity Specs Question HaulinHP Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 0 01-23-2013 11:22 PM
Added a tow hitch at dealer, question on towing capacity newtoncd8 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 15 07-04-2012 07:09 PM
Towing capacity Pats2011WK2 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 11-24-2010 01:04 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community