Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 190
chris2103 is on a distinguished road
Trailer Hitch Installation

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a used WK2, this forum has been very helpful. One of the GC's I'm currently considering is a 2011 that does not have the factory tow package. This is a must for me. Does anybody have any experience with adding a hitch aftermarket? Any guess on cost? Or would I be best advised to find a WK2 with this already installed from the factory?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-21-2014, 10:53 AM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 296
Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 479
ssgunner is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

I'm on the same boat as far wanting to get the trailer tow package. Can't seem to get any info from anywhere.
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 AM
Sh0rtBus's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 2369
Sh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

I went with the factory tow hitch for my '14 and it was pretty easy to install. The trailer wiring is already there; just need the plug that installs into the rear bumper fascia. Speaking of which, you have to cut a pretty nice size hole in the rear bumper fascia, so installation is not for the faint of heart. Total install time for me, though, took about 1.5 hours and I was moving slow to make sure I marked the bumper properly for the cut. After installation, you'll need to have the dealer do a flash to enable the trailer wiring and you're good to go.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.6L Deep Cherry Red

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sh0rtBus For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 08-21-2014, 11:44 AM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 296
Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 479
ssgunner is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
I went with the factory tow hitch for my '14 and it was pretty easy to install. The trailer wiring is already there; just need the plug that installs into the rear bumper fascia. Speaking of which, you have to cut a pretty nice size hole in the rear bumper fascia, so installation is not for the faint of heart. Total install time for me, though, took about 1.5 hours and I was moving slow to make sure I marked the bumper properly for the cut. After installation, you'll need to have the dealer do a flash to enable the trailer wiring and you're good to go.
Thats exactly what i want the factory one. I would just prefer to have dealer instal and do flash then n there. I wonder how much time they would need.

On another note where did u buy package from? Did u get the cooling system too?
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Sh0rtBus's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: North Texas
Posts: 393
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 2369
Sh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond reputeSh0rtBus has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

No, didn't get the cooling system because I don't plan to tow a trailer with it anytime soon. I wanted it to carry a bike rack. Honestly, for what I spent on the bike rack and the hitch, I could've gotten a good set of Thule crossbars and roof racks. Bike rack I got cost me around $800.

I'm a Jeep guy and do almost all of my own wrenching, at least on my Wrangler, so installing a hitch on the WK2 was no big deal. To me, it was well worth the cost savings to install it myself, as opposed to having the dealer do it. They probably charge 2-3 hours to install the hitch and then another hour to do the flash.

I bought the hitch and plug from the dealer, though, and I think I paid about $300-$350 after tax, etc.
__________________
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

2014 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 3.6L Deep Cherry Red

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 296
Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 479
ssgunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0rtBus View Post
No, didn't get the cooling system because I don't plan to tow a trailer with it anytime soon. I wanted it to carry a bike rack. Honestly, for what I spent on the bike rack and the hitch, I could've gotten a good set of Thule crossbars and roof racks. Bike rack I got cost me around $800.

I'm a Jeep guy and do almost all of my own wrenching, at least on my Wrangler, so installing a hitch on the WK2 was no big deal. To me, it was well worth the cost savings to install it myself, as opposed to having the dealer do it. They probably charge 2-3 hours to install the hitch and then another hour to do the flash.

I bought the hitch and plug from the dealer, though, and I think I paid about $300-$350 after tax, etc.
Oh ok. Im pretty handy myself but the cuting part scares me. Lol. Thanks for the input, ill start looking for the parts at my local dealer. That was a good price you paid. I think ive seen someone post they paid about 650-700 for the dealer install.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
Thanks: 2
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1643
Nonstop is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

A dealer install including everything should be no more than $5-600. Simple method to accomplish this. All parts hitch and plug come to $240-260 depending on dealer. Bring in printouts the parts guys like to help. Then take the parts over to the body shop, don't even ask you're service guy. Service bay labor $100~ an hour. Body shop mechanical labor is usually $60~ an hour. This has worked on 5 WK2's at five dealers, not a scam or anything.. the body shop will be cutting the hole anyway. And who do you want removing and reinstalling body panels, techs or body guys?

This really isn't more than 3 hours labor at home, a pro will get it done in 2 but.... They'll want 4 hours. Fine..
$260 + 4hrs@$60 $240 = $500
The only thing you need now is the flash, which is a funny thing, my dealer is just amazing lately others are paying 1/2-1hr. It isn't 5 minutes like assumed but I think $40 is reasonable..
Overall 100% worth it more so if you do the install on your own, it's intimidating but easy, there's even cut lines on the inside of the lower valance from the factory. Everything else is bolts and grunts.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nonstop For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 08-21-2014, 02:55 PM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 296
Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 479
ssgunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop View Post
A dealer install including everything should be no more than $5-600. Simple method to accomplish this. All parts hitch and plug come to $240-260 depending on dealer. Bring in printouts the parts guys like to help. Then take the parts over to the body shop, don't even ask you're service guy. Service bay labor $100~ an hour. Body shop mechanical labor is usually $60~ an hour. This has worked on 5 WK2's at five dealers, not a scam or anything.. the body shop will be cutting the hole anyway. And who do you want removing and reinstalling body panels, techs or body guys?

This really isn't more than 3 hours labor at home, a pro will get it done in 2 but.... They'll want 4 hours. Fine..
$260 + 4hrs@$60 $240 = $500
The only thing you need now is the flash, which is a funny thing, my dealer is just amazing lately others are paying 1/2-1hr. It isn't 5 minutes like assumed but I think $40 is reasonable..
Overall 100% worth it more so if you do the install on your own, it's intimidating but easy, there's even cut lines on the inside of the lower valance from the factory. Everything else is bolts and grunts.
Oh really, i will need to get under tonight and check for those cut lines. I may just do it myself. I called a dealer and then never called me back.
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 1,961
Thanks: 292
Thanked 90 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 4993
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

It's important to remember that even if you add the OEM hitch and wiring, you do not (officially) get the same towing capacity that you do if everything is factory installed. In addition to the added cooling on some trim levels with the factory tow, there are also additional accommodations in the suspension to support towing needs. If you are just doing things like a utility trailer or a small fishing boat, no big deal. But if you will be hauling something bigger, go for the factory tow.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Nitto NT421Q "shoes"



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-21-2014, 04:02 PM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 296
Thanks: 13
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 479
ssgunner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
It's important to remember that even if you add the OEM hitch and wiring, you do not (officially) get the same towing capacity that you do if everything is factory installed. In addition to the added cooling on some trim levels with the factory tow, there are also additional accommodations in the suspension to support towing needs. If you are just doing things like a utility trailer or a small fishing boat, no big deal. But if you will be hauling something bigger, go for the factory tow.
Great info, im mostly gonna be towing atv's and jetskies. Nothing more. Would an aftermaket be a best option?
__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 PM
padgett's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,567
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 80276
padgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

Depends on the package. On my '12 Laredo it included few extras (see below). That said it has no difficulty with a 3500 lb travel trailer (see sig) and I do not see any temperature rise even in a Florida summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailergroup.jpg (13.2 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-25-2014, 06:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 350
Erockhopper is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer Hitch Installation

I got the 2014 Altitude without the tow package and have been pricing this out. Dealer price on hitch was $253.40 includes the new cover for the bumper after cut out. Checked another dealer and after install was quoted just under $600 out the door with new pin connectors, not included on the hitch price above. Probably looking at $60 for that. Looks to be the same as most have been quoted.

Ended up getting a deal on the mount for $200. Figure to give it a go on my own.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer Brake Controller Installation Question matticus 2014+ Cherokee-KL 31 03-03-2014 10:48 PM
Silent Hitch Pin Lock for 2" Receivers/Go Rhino Step Hitch - installation pics Wxchaser Tech Tips/DIY/How To 2 01-27-2012 04:42 PM
Trailer Wiring Installation TKirkUMD Grand Cherokee - WK 15 05-14-2011 02:58 PM
Hitch installation kerstingm Interior/Exterior/Visual 5 12-06-2009 10:52 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.