Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 133
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 701
whartung is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Just got back from a solo trip to Moab in the wife's Trailhawk.
Did you tell her, or wait until you got back?

Quote:
Quadra-Lift - Love it. Didn't really need OR Height 2 but used it a couple of times on the way to Chicken Corners for an extra margin of safety. Plenty of ground clearance and the front air dam didn't get in the way on these particular trails.
I didn't think the Trailhawk had QL, I thought they had a stock 2" lift. I also thought the Trailhawks had rock rails.

In that last photo, can you actually fit through that tunnel?

What kind of tires are you using?

Great photos, looks like a blast.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-09-2014, 07:35 PM
EllisWyatt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 808
EllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
I'd suggest bucket listing it.

Frankly once you are out there, Moab area is just one of the many truly awesome places. In the immediate Moab area, Green River is less crowded by far, plus if you are coming in on I-70 from the east, take the old Cisco road to state 128 and head down the Colorado canyon.

Once you are done in Moab, heading west on I-70 past Green River will put you in about 100 miles of "no services" terrain you have never seen before.

Or head south on state highway from Green River to Hanksville and Goblin Valley--just don't tip over any rocks.

Or after I-70 hits I-15 head south a bit and into Bryce Canyon.

Nevada is pretty cool as well, up Hwy 93 thru big basin, or heading out via I-80 thru salt lake city, along the south edge of Salt Lake and Bonneville Salt Flats.

I prefer I-80 when I want to get somewhere, but if you have the time, I-70 starting just past Denver heads up over awesome 14Kfoot mountains, and just about the time you get bored with them, down thru Glenwood Canyon along the Colorado and just as you get bored with that, you go past Grand Junction to the Cisco turnoff and head for Moab.
Agree 100%. I always take 128 when arriving or leaving. On this trip I actually spent the first two days in Green River. The first pic is just north of Hanksville near Gilson Butte and the second pic is on the way to Buckhorn Wash in the San Rafael Swell.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 PM
EllisWyatt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 808
EllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Did you tell her, or wait until you got back?
That would have been funny. She was actually out of town the week that I was gone but, had I not told her, she probably would have noticed all the red dirt stains on our driveway after I washed it!

Quote:
I didn't think the Trailhawk had QL, I thought they had a stock 2" lift. I also thought the Trailhawks had rock rails.

In that last photo, can you actually fit through that tunnel?

What kind of tires are you using?
TH came standard with QL. Yes, it does have the Mopar rock rails. Yes, the tunnel looks tiny in the pic but a standard size vehicle easily fits. It is pretty dramatic though and it made my wife a bit nervous the first time we drove through it years ago. The tires are the stock Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmors.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1128
turbospartan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Can you post your routes?

I have a non-TH wk2 with QTII, and I want to get out to Moab ASAP. Don't want to do anything crazy, but would like to hit a trail or 2 where a fwd Escort couldn't make it...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-12-2014, 08:21 PM
EllisWyatt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 808
EllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
Can you post your routes?

I have a non-TH wk2 with QTII, and I want to get out to Moab ASAP. Don't want to do anything crazy, but would like to hit a trail or 2 where a fwd Escort couldn't make it...
Sure.

Trip 1- Kane Creek Road to Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corners (return the same way) - 40 miles round trip....it's a classic.

Trip 2 - Potash Road all the way into Canyonlands, ascend the Shafer Switchbacks to exit the Park, stop at Dead Horse Point State Park and enjoy the stunning views, return via Long Canyon. (For this trip, it's really fun to stop at Dead Horse Point SP where you can look down and see the roads you just drove on.)

Other trips that are relatively easy but offer great scenery along with some challenge:

Gemini Bridges
Onion Creek
Spring Canyon Point
Tower Arch (in Arches National Park)
Bull Canyon

Fun side trips that are not technical but offer great scenery:

Sand Flats Road
Anticline Overlook Road (the drive itself is nothing special but the view at the end is amazing)
La Sal Mountains Loop Road

Hope that helps.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-14-2014, 03:34 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,410
Thanks: 31
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Rep Power: 43865
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Just a tad to the north on La Sal Loop road from where the Sand Flats/City Dump road joins is Miner Basin. Used to be a reasonable mild trail.

Sand Flats to La Sal was closed when I was last there, dunno if reopened or not.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 532
ClarksHawk is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

AGH!!! what happened to your hood??? ;-) there is actually a dealership in Colorado taking them off the GC and the C Trailhawks right on the lot.. they say, "we cant sell them with it on" and then fought with me when i said i wanted the FACTORY graphics reinstalled.. So i bought mine from out of state and had it shipped. haha!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:27 PM
EllisWyatt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 808
EllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
Just a tad to the north on La Sal Loop road from where the Sand Flats/City Dump road joins is Miner Basin. Used to be a reasonable mild trail.

Sand Flats to La Sal was closed when I was last there, dunno if reopened or not.
Sand Flats is open.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-14-2014, 06:34 PM
EllisWyatt's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 39
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 808
EllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond reputeEllisWyatt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarksHawk View Post
AGH!!! what happened to your hood??? ;-) there is actually a dealership in Colorado taking them off the GC and the C Trailhawks right on the lot.. they say, "we cant sell them with it on" and then fought with me when i said i wanted the FACTORY graphics reinstalled.. So i bought mine from out of state and had it shipped. haha!
The hood decal is polarizing. Some people love it; in my case I much preferred the beautiful black metallic paint underneath. Seems odd that a dealer would proactively remove it though. In your case they lost a sale.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-14-2014, 07:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 133
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 701
whartung is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
The hood decal is polarizing.
Funny. I read this, and I'm thinking "What, so we're viewing it from the wrong angle and decal fades away because it's polarized? The light is hitting it wrong?"

Then I read the rest...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 110
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 532
ClarksHawk is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
The hood decal is polarizing. Some people love it; in my case I much preferred the beautiful black metallic paint underneath. Seems odd that a dealer would proactively remove it though. In your case they lost a sale.
I can definitely understand the awesomeness of the brilliant black. But yeah, that was the reason I went with the outta state rig.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-22-2014, 10:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 283
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1128
turbospartan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Trailhawk in Moab - Trip Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisWyatt View Post
Sure.

Trip 1- Kane Creek Road to Hurrah Pass to Chicken Corners (return the same way) - 40 miles round trip....it's a classic.

Trip 2 - Potash Road all the way into Canyonlands, ascend the Shafer Switchbacks to exit the Park, stop at Dead Horse Point State Park and enjoy the stunning views, return via Long Canyon. (For this trip, it's really fun to stop at Dead Horse Point SP where you can look down and see the roads you just drove on.)

Other trips that are relatively easy but offer great scenery along with some challenge:

Gemini Bridges
Onion Creek
Spring Canyon Point
Tower Arch (in Arches National Park)
Bull Canyon

Fun side trips that are not technical but offer great scenery:

Sand Flats Road
Anticline Overlook Road (the drive itself is nothing special but the view at the end is amazing)
La Sal Mountains Loop Road

Hope that helps.
Thanks. Did you camp in Kane Creek? I'm planning a weekend trip and trying to figure out what to hit. Not sure if the camping will be packed or not.

Is there a way to get across the Co River from the Kane Creek area and south? Or do you HAVE to drive back into town?

I want to do Gemini Bridges, Long Canyon, Corona Arch, and possibly Negro Bill canyon
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trip report sort of! Johan Grand Cherokee - WK 1 07-02-2011 09:05 AM
First Road Trip Report - Medano Pass Road Meso Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 17 06-20-2011 02:51 PM
trip to Moab chibianh Members Rides-Showoff 32 03-29-2011 01:27 AM
Tires for a Moab Trip IndyBob Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 4 01-17-2011 02:45 PM
Vermont Road Trip Report tkln Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 7 01-16-2011 11:26 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community