turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2 - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 05-30-2016, 12:44 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 35
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 268
JGC75thLimited is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

First ever post to the garage! We have 2k mikes on '16 JGC 75th Limited (1st Jeep and love it)

However the ESS is sometimes a pain in rear. My wife often turns it off when she remembers. I turn it into a bit of a "game". If you feather the brake it often will not shut off engine especially if you let rig 'creep' forward a bit.

Most of the time when coming to a light I know will be short, I pop gear into neutral, come to full stop (engine stays on) and then drop back into drive (engine stays on). Then drive away. My other car is a stick so it comes naturally to me to pop in and out of neutral and keeps me more engaged.

It is so silly to pull into the garage....come to a stop.....engines turns OFF....then move gear selector into park....engine turns back ON....then turn off white button....Argh!! So silly! So much for trying to not make a lot of noise pulling into garage late at night.

All that said, I'd love to be able to adjust the 'timeout' duration to say up to 10 seconds. I think I'd set mine to 5-7 seconds.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 05-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,291
Thanks: 778
Thanked 568 Times in 453 Posts
Rep Power: 96051
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

billt, the increasing prevelance of start-stop technology in vehicles isn't mere rumor...there is plenty of press to support it, such as this article from the NY times where FCA pretty much says that most of their vehicles will have it at some point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/au...it-or-not.html

In the same article, it's stated that all Buick vehicles will have it by the end of 2018.

Here's an article from 2011 so this isn't anything new, either.

Engine Stop-Start Systems Explained - Tech. Dept. - Car and Driver


So the things that some of us are saying are not rumor in the least...start/stop is real and there are pressures on manufacturers to include it going forward.

As to the Hemi (as we know it)...I'll be surprised if it's still available in JGC when the new platform appears for MY19. Scottina posted in the WK forum area that the SRT at that point will be a twin-turbo V6, for example. There may be a V8 offered, but we don't yet know what it will be.
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-30-2016, 02:18 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1927
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
billt, the increasing prevelance of start-stop technology in vehicles isn't mere rumor...there is plenty of press to support it, such as this article from the NY times where FCA pretty much says that most of their vehicles will have it at some point.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/08/au...it-or-not.html

In the same article, it's stated that all Buick vehicles will have it by the end of 2018.

Here's an article from 2011 so this isn't anything new, either.

Engine Stop-Start Systems Explained - Tech. Dept. - Car and Driver
Newspapers say a lot of things Jim. And a lot of what they report is B.S., one way or the other... Remember when they were all telling us Trump didn't stand a chance? And the Republican Party would NEVER allow him to be their nominee? Trump is there because the people want him there. Now, I'm not trying to compare cars to politics. But let's face it, people tend to jump on these "technological bandwagons" entirely too fast.

If people don't want them, they will avoid them like the plague. They'll buy something that doesn't have it. I mean let's face it, you can't even park the damn thing in the garage without it shutting off, then restarting. That's insane.

What do you want to bet Ford will dump the Aluminum body soon? It's not selling, period. Ford will not tolerate sagging sales for long. Especially when it's a direct result of something they thought would revolutionize the industry on their best selling vehicle. Instead it's turned into a dog with fleas for them. They allowed themselves to become a Guinea Pig for something that didn't gain the acceptance they thought, or hoped it would. This will be no different. The greatest idea in the world will fail if no one wants it.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-31-2016, 12:40 PM
jeep12joe's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 89
Thanks: 24
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 324
jeep12joe is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
What do you want to bet Ford will dump the Aluminum body soon? It's not selling, period. Ford will not tolerate sagging sales for long. Especially when it's a direct result of something they thought would revolutionize the industry on their best selling vehicle. Instead it's turned into a dog with fleas for them. They allowed themselves to become a Guinea Pig for something that didn't gain the acceptance they thought, or hoped it would. This will be no different. The greatest idea in the world will fail if no one wants it.
The difference here is that Jeep is not trying to revolutionize the industry. In all reality they are late to the party when it comes to this particular engine tech. There have been cars selling with this technology for many years, and it isn't going away until we are all driving around in hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
__________________
2012 Overland Summit, Rugged Brown.

Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:04 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1927
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep12joe View Post
..........it isn't going away until we are all driving around in hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.
Something else that is never going to come to pass.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-31-2016, 03:59 PM
Shockwave's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 200
Thanks: 1
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 718
Shockwave will become famous soon enough
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

I went to a tradeshow in NO a couple weeks ago and had to rent a car. They gave me a Malibu that has SS in it. At first it was kind of odd for the first 5 or so times it shut off, after that it wasn't really that noticeable. I don't think it is going to be something that bothers me when i get the 2017.

The one thing i foresee though is this. You know as you drive your car longer your starter get louder and slightly slower. After 2-3 years with SS it may get annoying due to these factors as it will become much more noticeable.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:01 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 293
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2398
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

I have driven many vehicles with auto engine off crap and none of them are smooth or unnoticeable. It is the most annoying feature and dangerous feature made to this day. For example, my daily drive consist of a lot well timed red lights and one left turn, having the engine shut off at a intersection and trying to sneak in with opposite 3 lane traffic with the engine off is not so fun, God forbid the engine misfired or it didn't give me enough power to make the turn, I could also wait 45 seconds for the green arrow but hey this is NYC where time is money.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rszwestko For This Useful Post:
  #44  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 307
Estallido is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC75thLimited View Post
First ever post to the garage! We have 2k mikes on '16 JGC 75th Limited (1st Jeep and love it)

However the ESS is sometimes a pain in rear. My wife often turns it off when she remembers. I turn it into a bit of a "game". If you feather the brake it often will not shut off engine especially if you let rig 'creep' forward a bit.

Most of the time when coming to a light I know will be short, I pop gear into neutral, come to full stop (engine stays on) and then drop back into drive (engine stays on). Then drive away. My other car is a stick so it comes naturally to me to pop in and out of neutral and keeps me more engaged.

It is so silly to pull into the garage....come to a stop.....engines turns OFF....then move gear selector into park....engine turns back ON....then turn off white button....Argh!! So silly! So much for trying to not make a lot of noise pulling into garage late at night.

All that said, I'd love to be able to adjust the 'timeout' duration to say up to 10 seconds. I think I'd set mine to 5-7 seconds.


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage

Wouldn't it be easier to just turn it off? I've gotten into the habit of hitting the push start button and the the auto shut down at every start now. It's one button push, I'm not sure why there is all the butthurt over it in this thread
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-31-2016, 09:43 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,295
Thanks: 305
Thanked 221 Times in 164 Posts
Rep Power: 1927
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rszwestko View Post
I have driven many vehicles with auto engine off crap and none of them are smooth or unnoticeable. It is the most annoying feature and dangerous feature made to this day. For example, my daily drive consist of a lot well timed red lights and one left turn, having the engine shut off at a intersection and trying to sneak in with opposite 3 lane traffic with the engine off is not so fun, God forbid the engine misfired or it didn't give me enough power to make the turn, I could also wait 45 seconds for the green arrow but hey this is NYC where time is money.
Wait until injury accidents start to happen because of this silly nonsense. Then let the lawsuits begin. No one is going to tell me having a starter engage 50 to 100 times on a daily round trip commute in traffic, is not asking for failure at an inopportune moment. Or as you said, an engine misfire or cough, or else a dead battery, and someone gets rear ended or t-boned as a direct result.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-31-2016, 11:37 PM
BlckWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 775
Thanks: 134
Thanked 131 Times in 88 Posts
Rep Power: 2049
BlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Guess we'll have to just buy Electric..... 😎


~ Sent from my mobile device
__________________

Phil
14' Altitude
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-01-2016, 07:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 293
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2398
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Wait until injury accidents start to happen because of this silly nonsense. Then let the lawsuits begin. No one is going to tell me having a starter engage 50 to 100 times on a daily round trip commute in traffic, is not asking for failure at an inopportune moment. Or as you said, an engine misfire or cough, or else a dead battery, and someone gets rear ended or t-boned as a direct result.

Luckily I have it permanently OFF in my car but some others keep defaulting to ON when you restart like WK2. Companies like Mazda are able to offer engines without the feature and somehow they are meeting the emission standards so it is possible.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rszwestko For This Useful Post:
  #48  
Old 06-01-2016, 07:03 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 293
Thanks: 11
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2398
rszwestko is on a distinguished road
Re: turning off auto shut down on 2016 wk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlckWK2 View Post
Guess we'll have to just buy Electric..... 😎


~ Sent from my mobile device

Sure, if it's under $40K and has a range of 400 miles on one "tank" I'll consider it.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ENGINE shut off while off roading AFSSgt 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel 3.0 13 05-23-2014 02:21 PM
JGC 2013 auto headlights shut off randomly while i'm driving wvmonica Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 0 12-04-2013 04:46 AM
Power stays on after shut down kujata Troubleshooting/Problems 3 01-25-2013 03:49 PM
Vehicle shut down at 110km/h, any one else have similar experience? Gribbs Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 23 07-27-2012 04:10 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.