Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Temerarius's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2009 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 735
Thanks: 73
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 1006950
Temerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 at Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Agree, a good turbo can maintain the same MAP at any altitude with a road. Feel that the only places for a supercharger are either above 10,000 feet or on a diesel.
Indeed.

At altitude, chances are that a CRD would eat a Hemi alive (probably give an SRT a run for it's money as well).
__________________

__________________

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD
Date Ordered: 08/10/2013
Date Delivered: Same day we get the floating skateboards from Back to the Future.
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
Date Ordered: 08/10/2013
Date Delivered: A fiscal quarter or three before the Jeep
Function: Senior Project Manager, Skittle Stuffer, Braggart
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 680
papote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubby360 View Post
Test drive the crd and you will instantly forget about the petrol v6 and v8
What I find interesting is the fact that most people if not everyone is forgetting about the fact that the CRD commands a hefty pricetag.

I do not doubt by any means that the CRD will eat the V6 lunch and even be superior to the Hemi once that turbo spools. However at $4,500 upcharge from the V6 and $2,800 (prices may not be accurate) or so upcharge from the Hemi I think I personally will pass.

Clubby, by how you reffered to gasoline as petrol I want to guess that you are either from Europe or Australia and if that's the case I would buy a crd over there in a heart beat considering all the alternatives. The thing is over here in the USA the price of diesel is actually higher than regular petrol in most states by about $0.30 to $0.75 cents. Adding all those things up it doesn't make financial sense to invest on a CRD unless you drive like over 20k miles a year and will keep it for well over 6-7 years. (Not trying to make this into a flame war about engine sizes or type and not backing this #s up with facts, just my personal opinion)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Temerarius's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2009 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 735
Thanks: 73
Thanked 54 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 1006950
Temerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond reputeTemerarius has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 at Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by papote View Post
Adding all those things up it doesn't make financial sense to invest on...
When was the last time you got more for your car then you bought it for?

This notion of "investing" in a car is silly.

You buy the car you like, otherwise, we'd all be driving cars we hate but that made the most fiscal sense.
__________________

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland CRD
Date Ordered: 08/10/2013
Date Delivered: Same day we get the floating skateboards from Back to the Future.
2014 Dodge Durango Citadel
Date Ordered: 08/10/2013
Date Delivered: A fiscal quarter or three before the Jeep
Function: Senior Project Manager, Skittle Stuffer, Braggart
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 600
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 381753
Aiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: V6 at Altitude

My 2012 GC Ltd V6 does very well at the altitudes. Drove it quite a bit in the mountain passes last Summer/Fall and it was fine with 4.5 people and a dog w/ luggage. IIRC, I got an average of 21 mpg for the whole trip last Fall.

Cheers,
-S
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
2002 Aprilia SL1000R
2000 Porsche Boxster (Sold)
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee SE (Sold and still missed)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Clubby360's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: australia
Posts: 60
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 831
Clubby360 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by papote View Post

What I find interesting is the fact that most people if not everyone is forgetting about the fact that the CRD commands a hefty pricetag.

I do not doubt by any means that the CRD will eat the V6 lunch and even be superior to the Hemi once that turbo spools. However at $4,500 upcharge from the V6 and $2,800 (prices may not be accurate) or so upcharge from the Hemi I think I personally will pass.

Clubby, by how you reffered to gasoline as petrol I want to guess that you are either from Europe or Australia and if that's the case I would buy a crd over there in a heart beat considering all the alternatives. The thing is over here in the USA the price of diesel is actually higher than regular petrol in most states by about $0.30 to $0.75 cents. Adding all those things up it doesn't make financial sense to invest on a CRD unless you drive like over 20k miles a year and will keep it for well over 6-7 years. (Not trying to make this into a flame war about engine sizes or type and not backing this #s up with facts, just my personal opinion)
Hi, i am from australia, everyone has their own personal reason on what type of car and which engine option they choose if there is more than one to choose from, for me after test driving all 3 engines the crd was the most enjoyable and by far felt the most lively, and being a car enthusiast instantly fell in love with it, simply felt and still do that it is worth every extra dollar they charge extra for it, it's fuel economy achieving around 1000 km's per tank is just an added bonus.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 680
papote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temerarius View Post
When was the last time you got more for your car then you bought it for?

This notion of "investing" in a car is silly.

You buy the car you like, otherwise, we'd all be driving cars we hate but that made the most fiscal sense.
You sir are correct in that no-one can or should even put investing and car in the same sentence since a vehicle is a diminishing/devaluating asset if we can even call it that. I guess what I meant to say is that spending the extra money for the crd is something that shouldnt be justify based on mpg. Is all I'm saying. I drive some F250 diesel trucks in my line of work from time to time and trust me once that turbo spins it is a rocket. I love it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 680
papote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clubby360 View Post
Hi, i am from australia, everyone has their own personal reason on what type of car and which engine option they choose if there is more than one to choose from, for me after test driving all 3 engines the crd was the most enjoyable and by far felt the most lively, and being a car enthusiast instantly fell in love with it, simply felt and still do that it is worth every extra dollar they charge extra for it, it's fuel economy achieving around 1000 km's per tank is just an added bonus.
You sir hit the nail in the head and dented it. Some people drive Prius cause they want to see the little green leaves in the dash, some drive big H1 Hummers and I see them both at Starbucks trying to be all uppity up. So to each its own. As long as the one paying the car note every month is happy is all that matter.

Dang it everyone. Now I may have to wait to test drive a darn crd. Okay. Let's stop talking about it. Hehehe

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2013, 01:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 680
papote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyer View Post
My 2012 GC Ltd V6 does very well at the altitudes. Drove it quite a bit in the mountain passes last Summer/Fall and it was fine with 4.5 people and a dog w/ luggage. IIRC, I got an average of 21 mpg for the whole trip last Fall.

Cheers,
-S
Very nice to hear. I may just buy a V6 overland and wait till redesign 2017 to get me a crd. By then they should be all smooth as butter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 405
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 73423
Mashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 at Altitude

some great advice and information in this thread! Thanks everyone. I will definitely have to give the CRD a look at but in all honesty and for what I am trying to do (convince my wife that upgrading from a '11 to '14 is a good thing and wont cost much might be hard to do with the additional cost of the CRD).

I am going out this weekend to drive that the local dealers have and maybe even take the V6 up to the mountains for a nice long test drive .
__________________
2014 JCG Summit 4x4 Black
Tech Package, Dual-Pane Sunroof
Hemi V8, Purchased 11/15/2013
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-20-2013, 01:06 AM
moosehead's Avatar
Horseshoe for the Donkeys

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CO Rockies
Posts: 3,163
Thanks: 214
Thanked 94 Times in 82 Posts
Rep Power: 1620643
moosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond reputemoosehead has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 at Altitude

Wassup Mash? While there are plenty of WK2 with V6 up here, you would have to pry the Hemi outta my cold dead hands.



__________________
2011 JGC Oland Hemi / Borla Catback Proto / Hemifever Tune on DS Trinity / Flyin Ryan PTB / Volant CAI / Bwoody Sway Links / BT Catch Can & Underhood Kit / Jon's Tinted Tails / SRT8 Hood, Steering Wheel, Shiftknob, Pedals / Firestone Dest AT's & Winter 18's / Focal 165 Component Fronts, Alpine PDX 5 Amp, Rockford Fosgate P3 10" Sub & Fiberglass Enclosure / PS2 Grill, Mirrors & Liftgate Strip / Tow Hooks & Skids / JW Speaker LED Foglights / Debadged, Tint, Clear Bra / Sharkfin / Vled & Putco LED's / JRoll Uber-Tech Cabin Filter / RA & Yak Roof Rack / Lit Sills, Slush & Cargo Mats
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-20-2013, 02:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 177
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 680
papote is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Wassup Mash? While there are plenty of WK2 with V6 up here, you would have to pry the Hemi outta my cold dead hands.



Very nice pictures. Let's see some more. What year is your hemi and what mpg are you observing? Percentage of city vs highway? Traditional calculation or car computer results. Thanks in Advance.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 405
Thanks: 1
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 73423
Mashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond reputeMashie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 at Altitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
Wassup Mash? While there are plenty of WK2 with V6 up here, you would have to pry the Hemi outta my cold dead hands.
Moose!!! How have you been man!! See you have hit the crux of my dilemma. My brain and wife is telling me to get the V6 and my heart wants the Hemi. Despite the mileage, I love the Hemi, the power and the way it sounds .

Are you looking at doing any upgrades from your '11 to the '14? When are you coming down to the city so we can get a beer?
__________________

__________________
2014 JCG Summit 4x4 Black
Tech Package, Dual-Pane Sunroof
Hemi V8, Purchased 11/15/2013
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude :: 2012 Jeep Altitude 2012-JGC.Altitude Member Garage Discussions 0 01-13-2013 09:36 PM
My New Altitude GHT87 Members Rides-Showoff 8 11-15-2012 09:40 PM
Altitude or Limited? J2K66 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 20 09-05-2012 02:43 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community