V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?. - Page 4 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 02-12-2016, 11:06 PM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,877
Thanks: 90
Thanked 627 Times in 458 Posts
Rep Power: 28829
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

I like my V6 and I have had both. The V8 was great sounding and decent low end power, but it felt big and heavy. The V6 is believe it or not more fun to drive. Feels lighter and sportier. My last tank before I traded my Summit V8 in was around 15.8mpg. Very first tank in my new V6 HA was 18.4 hand calculated...first tank in the dead of winter with winter blend fuels, so once it warms up a bit I'm expecting this V6 to be about 4mpg better than the V8. I do not drive on highways, just far suburban type commutes. Some stop and go, and some open cruising. I also log every fill up using fuelly.

__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #38  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:36 AM
BlckWK2's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 789
Thanks: 141
Thanked 134 Times in 91 Posts
Rep Power: 2207
BlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlckWK2 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

I have a 2014 Altitude, V6. The power is pretty good feeling when in sport mode. My drive is about 30% city 70% highway. My mileage has been tracked using GasTracker for nearly 48K miles. I'm happy with the results.

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1455370384.096664.jpg

The V8 would be fun but I'm certain to see a mpg drop by nearly 3-4. That's 60-80 miles per tank. The numbers are great for a V8 during highway use, but I would be grumbling seeing the mpg numbers for city use.


~ Sent from my mobile device
__________________

Phil
14' Altitude
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:46 AM
not_too_shabby's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 652
Thanks: 3
Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 2165
not_too_shabby has a brilliant future
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Has anybody seen a difference in MPG with using 92 octane for the V6? I moved from a 2014 V6 Overland to a 2015 V6 HA and this new V6 seems sluggish. I can barely tell the difference when I shift it into sport mode. I'm waiting to get to 1000 miles before I really start driving it hard, but the throttle response seems much worse. MPG on my first tank was 17 hand calculated which was close to what I saw in my 2014 this time of year.
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee High Altitude 4x4 V6
Granite
Download my App - iLeaseMyCar Pro Auto Loan and Lease Calculator for iPhone or iPad
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-13-2016, 09:00 AM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,877
Thanks: 90
Thanked 627 Times in 458 Posts
Rep Power: 28829
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post
Has anybody seen a difference in MPG with using 92 octane for the V6? I moved from a 2014 V6 Overland to a 2015 V6 HA and this new V6 seems sluggish. I can barely tell the difference when I shift it into sport mode. I'm waiting to get to 1000 miles before I really start driving it hard, but the throttle response seems much worse. MPG on my first tank was 17 hand calculated which was close to what I saw in my 2014 this time of year.
Weird, it shouldn't feel sluggish whatsoever. I went from a 2014 V8 to 2015 V6 and in most situations the V6 feels every bit as quick as the V8. Lacks a little at lower to mid rpms compared to the V8, but at full throttle they are similar.
Do not try using a higher grade fuel. The V6 was designed to run on regular 87 octane. There would be no benefits to using higher grade fuel unless you were trying to diagnose knocking or detonation or something.
As far as break in, there really isn't anything you have to do except drive normally, but actually you may want to get on it a little. The manual specifically states that during the first 300 miles it's actually beneficial to do brief wide open throttle spurts. Do not hold high rpm, but quick spurts is a good thing. On my first tank every now and then I would floor it from about 30mph (not from a stop), then let off fairly quickly so it doesn't hold higher rpms for too long. I basically followed the manual to a T. So even though that isn't your problem, I would for sure run the vehicle through its paces atleast a little during the break-in period.
Just to ensure its none of the basic things, I would top off the tank with a quality top tier 87 octane fuel. I would disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while, reconnect and drive the vehicle with Eco off through that tank. Maybe since the vehicle is new the computer adjusted to a driving habit that doesn't fit your driving style.
Give that a shot, if after a few hundred more miles things still don't feel right then maybe it would be time to bring it in. It's not the most powerful vehicle, but the V6 Grand Cherokee shouldn't feel anywhere near "sluggish". Infact mine feels fairly peppy even just in standard Eco mode. Hope it gets better.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 02-13-2016, 09:32 AM
Jim_in_PA's Avatar
Super Moderator

My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SE PA (central Bucks County)
Posts: 4,761
Thanks: 876
Thanked 697 Times in 556 Posts
Rep Power: 96664
Jim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond reputeJim_in_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post
Has anybody seen a difference in MPG with using 92 octane for the V6? I moved from a 2014 V6 Overland to a 2015 V6 HA and this new V6 seems sluggish. I can barely tell the difference when I shift it into sport mode. I'm waiting to get to 1000 miles before I really start driving it hard, but the throttle response seems much worse. MPG on my first tank was 17 hand calculated which was close to what I saw in my 2014 this time of year.
Higher octane fuel doesn't provide more "power". In fact, it burns slower and that property is why it's specified for high-compression "performance" engines to avoid pre-detonation. Your engine was designed to run on "regular".

For MPG improvement, running ethanol free gasoline if you can find it will help but it's not easy to source and may not be priced attractively.

I have actually run 87 exclusively in my Hemi for 65K miles, even though 89 was "recommended" and my fuel economy is great, considering it's a big V8. But I also have a light foot...
__________________
2012 GC Overland Summit - Winter Chill with New Saddle interior. 5.7L HEMI V8 - Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus "shoes" - LED fogs and DRLs



Day-job...Telecom Technical Sales
Avocations...Woodworking, Equestrian, Food, Photography
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 02-13-2016, 09:49 AM
JTS97Z28's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Plainfield, IL
Posts: 3,877
Thanks: 90
Thanked 627 Times in 458 Posts
Rep Power: 28829
JTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond reputeJTS97Z28 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_in_PA View Post
I have actually run 87 exclusively in my Hemi for 65K miles, even though 89 was "recommended" and my fuel economy is great, considering it's a big V8. But I also have a light foot...
I did a test when I had my 2014 V8 just for the heck of it since the engine was designed to run on either 87 or 89. I ran 89 for the first 5 tanks, then switched to 87 for 3 tanks, then back to 89. To my surprise, on the exact same commute and driving habits, my three best mpg tanks were the ones with 87. Then it went back down slightly going back to 89. The differences were fairly minimal at about 1-1.5mpg, but still measurable. I know this doesn't apply to the V6, but thought it was worth mentioning.
__________________
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, Bright White, V6, HK audio
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 02-13-2016, 10:34 AM
jgc4ever's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 4,064
Thanks: 180
Thanked 256 Times in 205 Posts
Rep Power: 1162109
jgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond reputejgc4ever has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

I have the Pentastar V6. It's plenty quick and I had the 5.7L V8 before this. I've kept track of every fill up and am getting 17.54 mpg over 3227 miles here. This is an actual calculation from miles and gallons since new; NOT from the Jeep EVIC.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 02-13-2016, 11:38 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,481
Thanks: 274
Thanked 603 Times in 469 Posts
Rep Power: 30552
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_too_shabby View Post
Has anybody seen a difference in MPG with using 92 octane for the V6? I moved from a 2014 V6 Overland to a 2015 V6 HA and this new V6 seems sluggish. I can barely tell the difference when I shift it into sport mode. I'm waiting to get to 1000 miles before I really start driving it hard, but the throttle response seems much worse. MPG on my first tank was 17 hand calculated which was close to what I saw in my 2014 this time of year.
Use of anything above 87 for your v6 engine is a total waste of money. the way oil companies parade around a higher octane number as always equating to more power is one of the biggest scams of our time. Consumers need to research for themselves but oil company advertising methods are intentionally misleading. For an engine that can make use of the higher octane yes higher octane can be better and in some situations is engine required. But the vast majority of car engines are rated for 87 and that is what you should put in it. the only thing octane does is slow down and control the explosion better preventing pre detonation in usually more performance oriented engines. Remember 87 actually has slightly more BTUs(units of heat) than premium so unless your engine calls for and needs the additional octane there is really no reason to be putting fuel in there with slightly less BTUs, think of it that way. and this is possibly part of the reason you will sometimes see people getting slightly better fuel economy on 87 octane, its not a lot but it is sometimes there depending on your specific engine. The 5.7 hemi is an engine the teeters between the need of 87 and 89 most people will do fine on 87 but its situation dependent. If you are just tooling around the suburbs or highway cruising in an average climate you will likely be fine on 87. If you are towing 7200lbs up a mountain in the desert than go with the 89. Also on an engine where the owners manual calls for premium understand the difference between the words REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED. Required means you must use premium, don't question it and just use the premium or you could potentially cause engine issues. If it says Recommended then using a lower level octane is not likely going to cause you engine issues but you may end up with less horse power. Always check the manual for the minimum octane requirement. My last car Recommended 93, however it got superior mileage on 87 but did take a little power hit on the 87 as it could benefit from the higher octane at WOT.

Bottom line don't buy into the premium octane gas pump that is blinking POWER in big neon letters if you vehicle only calls for 87, it is a total waste of money.

End of fuel rant, I just don't like to see the oil companies trying to deceive folks with their advertising methods with premium. Ill rant the same way about dealers lying to folks and telling them the manufacture maintenance schedules are not satisfactory to keep their warranty intact and they need to do what the dealer says, another widespread scam. lol stick with the 87 octane.

Not that gas prices are even worth a thought any more though lol. paid $1.36 at shell used grocery store points and took it to $0.76 a gallon. sams club had their gas at $1.29. projections are for it to stay low for the near term coming years, seems pretty low though guess we will have to wait and see, some analysts are saying oil could hit $20 a barrel unbelievable.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to silvermax04 For This Useful Post:
  #45  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:10 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 143
Thanks: 22
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1990
Celestinemusic is on a distinguished road
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

100% correct about not using more octane than required. I have the V6 and initially thought to give it better fuel and used 89 mid grade. It ran fine but the comment above about more btu's in 87 is correct. You will get slightly but noticeably better mileage with 87 as compared to 89 or higher with the V6. It doesn't ping on the 87. So agree with the previous post.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 02-13-2016, 02:30 PM
SaintGermain's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nothingville
Posts: 141
Thanks: 3
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 2515
SaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond reputeSaintGermain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
Use of anything above 87 for your v6 engine is a total waste of money. the way oil companies parade around a higher octane number as always equating to more power is one of the biggest scams of our time. Consumers need to research for themselves but oil company advertising methods are intentionally misleading. For an engine that can make use of the higher octane yes higher octane can be better and in some situations is engine required. But the vast majority of car engines are rated for 87 and that is what you should put in it. the only thing octane does is slow down and control the explosion better preventing pre detonation in usually more performance oriented engines. Remember 87 actually has slightly more BTUs(units of heat) than premium so unless your engine calls for and needs the additional octane there is really no reason to be putting fuel in there with slightly less BTUs, think of it that way. and this is possibly part of the reason you will sometimes see people getting slightly better fuel economy on 87 octane, its not a lot but it is sometimes there depending on your specific engine. The 5.7 hemi is an engine the teeters between the need of 87 and 89 most people will do fine on 87 but its situation dependent. If you are just tooling around the suburbs or highway cruising in an average climate you will likely be fine on 87. If you are towing 7200lbs up a mountain in the desert than go with the 89. Also on an engine where the owners manual calls for premium understand the difference between the words REQUIRED AND RECOMMENDED. Required means you must use premium, don't question it and just use the premium or you could potentially cause engine issues. If it says Recommended then using a lower level octane is not likely going to cause you engine issues but you may end up with less horse power. Always check the manual for the minimum octane requirement. My last car Recommended 93, however it got superior mileage on 87 but did take a little power hit on the 87 as it could benefit from the higher octane at WOT.

Bottom line don't buy into the premium octane gas pump that is blinking POWER in big neon letters if you vehicle only calls for 87, it is a total waste of money.

End of fuel rant, I just don't like to see the oil companies trying to deceive folks with their advertising methods with premium. Ill rant the same way about dealers lying to folks and telling them the manufacture maintenance schedules are not satisfactory to keep their warranty intact and they need to do what the dealer says, another widespread scam. lol stick with the 87 octane.

Not that gas prices are even worth a thought any more though lol. paid $1.36 at shell used grocery store points and took it to $0.76 a gallon. sams club had their gas at $1.29. projections are for it to stay low for the near term coming years, seems pretty low though guess we will have to wait and see, some analysts are saying oil could hit $20 a barrel unbelievable.
Well stated. This reminds me to use 87 on the next fuel up instead of 89. Honestly in this type of climate it will run fine especially if its top tier.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2016, 05:25 PM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,739
Thanks: 1,050
Thanked 324 Times in 271 Posts
Rep Power: 8954
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

I've read someone else say that the owners manual states not to use 91 or higher in the Pentastar. I don't know if that's a fact or not, I don't know where it can be found in the owners manual. I've never even looked at the manual before lol but if someone could chime in that might have it memorized that'd be great.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-13-2016, 05:43 PM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,836
Thanks: 718
Thanked 675 Times in 556 Posts
Rep Power: 10953
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: V6 Grand Cherokee...The good and the bad?.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
I've read someone else say that the owners manual states not to use 91 or higher in the Pentastar. I don't know if that's a fact or not, I don't know where it can be found in the owners manual. I've never even looked at the manual before lol but if someone could chime in that might have it memorized that'd be great.

It's not that you can't use 91 or higher, it's that it's not recommended.

From the 2014 owner's manual (2016 manual says basically the same)...

3.6L engine - if equipped

This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide excellent fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.

5.7L Engine - if equipped

This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high-quality unleaded gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89. The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance. The use of premium gasoline is not recommended, as it will not provide any benefit over regular gasoline in these engines.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4858.png
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
grand cherokee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good News and Bad News.... Jaster386 Grand Cherokee - WJ 5 05-31-2015 06:45 AM
My new Summit - 3 weeks and 2500 km later - The good and the not so good. dazpad Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ 24 02-23-2014 11:08 PM
The First 300 Miles with my 2014 SRT GC: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly Jbd2016 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 18 04-10-2013 01:37 PM
Good and bad service departments hammer1234 Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 0 05-12-2011 11:51 AM
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly... Mlebout Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 10 04-27-2011 04:12 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.