Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #97  
Old 11-26-2013, 02:18 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJG5 View Post
Setoutguy, you are correct, the Jeep is miles ahead for off-road capability. I didn't factor that into thinking. Lets be honest though, those looking at a Q5 vs. the Jeep aren't looking for off-road prowess. I was simply disputing that the Jeep blows the Q5 out of the water. Off-road, yes. Overall package/vehicle, no.

-Eric
I also liked how the GC handled since it was based on RWD platform compared to Q5, Pilot, Flex and Explorer. I guess too many years driving BMWs spoiled me. Well I was and it was second most important factor after flat floor with rear seat folded down for dog crates. I needed the off road capability since we are driving down some farm road and across fields several times a month.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 343
EJG5 is on a distinguished road
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setoutguy View Post
I also liked how the GC handled since it was based on RWD platform compared to Q5, Pilot, Flex and Explorer. I guess too many years driving BMWs spoiled me. Well I was and it was second most important factor after flat floor with rear seat folded down for dog crates. I needed the off road capability since we are driving down some farm road and across fields several times a month.
The off-roading capability was not a factor at all for me. We only travel to our camp two to three times a year, and even that its dirt roads that a car can handle. My primary concern was towing ability and I wanted something smaller for the city (was in a crew cab truck previously). Those were the two factors that made the Jeep attractive for me.

Surprised to hear you liked the way the GC handles compared to the Q5. I thought the Q5 handled like a sports car. This Jeep handles somewhat like a truck in comparison.

Again both vehicles are great in my opinion.

-Eric
__________________

__________________
My Ride: 2014 Jeep GC Overland 4x4 5.7L
Wife's Ride: 2013 GMC Acadia Denali
My Toy: 2006 Regal 1900 Bowrider
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 11-26-2013, 02:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 87
Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1220
ucla95 is on a distinguished road
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

QX60 then MDX
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJG5 View Post
The off-roading capability was not a factor at all for me. We only travel to our camp two to three times a year, and even that its dirt roads that a car can handle. My primary concern was towing ability and I wanted something smaller for the city (was in a crew cab truck previously). Those were the two factors that made the Jeep attractive for me.

Surprised to hear you liked the way the GC handles compared to the Q5. I thought the Q5 handled like a sports car. This Jeep handles somewhat like a truck in comparison.

Again both vehicles are great in my opinion.

-Eric
As I said I prefer the RWD bias of the GC for chasing apexes etc. Thought it was better balanced than the Q5 with the V6. I found the Q5 handled more like a FWD car.

I have to able to traverse a 20 acre field to set it up for events and than work the events. Also use this same field to train my dogs. Its a 60 minute drive. Never no what shape filed is going to be in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #101  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 369
HaydenHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Setoutguy,

By "traversing a 20 acre field to set up for events and work events" are you talking about setting up for waterfowl or upland bird hunting?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHunter View Post
Setoutguy,

By "traversing a 20 acre field to set up for events and work events" are you talking about setting up for waterfowl or upland bird hunting?
Actually herding trials. Need to set up panels, mark shedding ring etc. Then need to move 40 head of sheep to the pens with my dog. My 21mo doesnt have the training yet to do this off leash and dont need the sheep chased all over 20 acres before a herding competition so he is in his crate in my GC.. Dogs and I were impressed with GCs AC back in July when temps were in the low 100's and dew point above 70 and we had a break we got in my GC and cranked the air.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM
Andoskyy's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upton, MA
Posts: 572
Thanks: 13
Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
Rep Power: 10741
Andoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond reputeAndoskyy has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJG5 View Post
Zybane, I have to disagree that the Jeep blows the Q5 out of the water (can't speak for the Touareg). We leased a 2009 Q5-Quattro, and it was a wonderful SUV. The Jeep is great, no doubt, but to say it blows the Q5 out of the water is silly. The Audi MMI is better (more features) than Uconnect and all other features on the Jeep can be had on the Audi. Also the Audi's interior is better. The Jeep is larger and can tow more. Pricing was about the same, my GC Overland stickered for around $53K, while the Audi stickered for around $54K. Of course you will get a better deal on the Jeep as they are willing to negotiate. I think Audi only knocked $1,500 off of MSRP. All-in-all both are great vehicles, but the Audi is definitely more high end.

-Eric
You can't even stream bluetooth audio in a 2013 Audi.

Can you name something the MMI can do that Uconnect can't? The only thing I can think of is emailing directions to your vehicle...can MMI do that? I wish Uconnect could!

A coworker of mine has a Q5. Everyone so far who gets into my 14 Overland says the interior is nicer than the Q5. Not sure a blanket statement like that is justified. Even at the Overland level, nappa leather everywhere...not sure what's better about the Audi.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 369
HaydenHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Setoutguy View Post
Actually herding trials. Need to set up panels, mark shedding ring etc. Then need to move 40 head of sheep to the pens with my dog. My 21mo doesnt have the training yet to do this off leash and dont need the sheep chased all over 20 acres before a herding competition so he is in his crate in my GC.. Dogs and I were impressed with GCs AC back in July when temps were in the low 100's and dew point above 70 and we had a break we got in my GC and cranked the air.
A herding dog trial would be fun to see. I enjoy seeing a well-trained working dog...in my case, usually someone's bird dog. I like the way a well bred working dog has some of the software installed at birth. It just takes the flip of a switch, followed by some refinement (training) and voila!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 11-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 963
overlanding is on a distinguished road
All thought I don't have my Jeep yet I do have a deposit on it...

My second choice was a Lexus RX350 F Sport.

They are both relatively similar except the Lexus is far more reliable and the the dealer is 3 1/2 hours away from me. The Overland's features won me over. The Lexus only has Blind Spot vs the GC with adaptive cruise and fcw. They are about the same exact price but the discount on the Jeep is a couple grand more and that was a plus as well. And it would be more convenient to tow, lexus can't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 369
HaydenHunter is on a distinguished road
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
All thought I don't have my Jeep yet I do have a deposit on it...

My second choice was a Lexus RX350 F Sport.

They are both relatively similar except the Lexus is far more reliable and the the dealer is 3 1/2 hours away from me. The Overland's features won me over. The Lexus only has Blind Spot vs the GC with adaptive cruise and fcw. They are about the same exact price but the discount on the Jeep is a couple grand more and that was a plus as well. And it would be more convenient to tow, lexus can't.
My brother and other folks I know drive Lexus RX vehicles. They are nice. I like the styling and the leather interior is the finest, softest material of anything we drove. But the driving experience is muted, i.e., so placid as to be not much fun. I hear that the FSport models address this. No doubt, the Japanese vehicles have the very best reliability out there. One reason why it came down to the wire between Jeep and Acura for us.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Hitchhiking
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 433
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Setoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond reputeSetoutguy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What was your 2nd choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHunter View Post
A herding dog trial would be fun to see. I enjoy seeing a well-trained working dog...in my case, usually someone's bird dog. I like the way a well bred working dog has some of the software installed at birth. It just takes the flip of a switch, followed by some refinement (training) and voila!

A good herding dog is like a Jeep. Always ready and willing to go out and get the job done. Nothing cooler than to watch a herding pup when it sees sheep for the first time and watching that switch flip on. Its the refinement that is challenging especially in herding where you want a hard headed dog with lots of prey drive.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 97
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 963
overlanding is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenHunter View Post
My brother and other folks I know drive Lexus RX vehicles. They are nice. I like the styling and the leather interior is the finest, softest material of anything we drove. But the driving experience is muted, i.e., so placid as to be not much fun. I hear that the FSport models address this. No doubt, the Japanese vehicles have the very best reliability out there. One reason why it came down to the wire between Jeep and Acura for us.
I hear ya. I'm not a fan of the newly redesigned MDX, although it's stellar aside from its exterior IMO, but I loved the previous Advance and my wife did not. So that one was easy for us. I had a thing for the Q7 S-Line Prestige but the interior felt so dated I could not see spending 68k.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WK2 Tyre choice fwdjeep Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 1 07-05-2013 06:44 AM
v8 or v6? Which is a better choice overall? imhoffg Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust 56 04-23-2013 04:17 PM
Good shock choice for WJ? nrlewellen47 Suspension Modifications 27 05-28-2012 01:24 PM
Best Choice For High-Beam? Amelie Interior/Exterior/Visual 14 01-23-2012 12:33 AM
exhaust choice Geoff Grand Cherokee - WK 0 01-26-2011 02:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community