Don't discuss the trade in price until after you've agreed on the price of the WK2.
i.e., make it two separate transactions: 1) buying a new vehicle from them; 2) selling a used vehicle to them. Avoid making it all one transaction where they shift the price of either the new or old vehicle to make the other vehicle's price look better.
If you don't think you'll be agreeing to buy that very day and are just trying to get a quote as a 'shopper', then just say something like, "I haven't decided if I'm trading yet; I'm still thinking about selling.". Then if you later decide you liked that guys WK2 price, go back to him and say "I decided I liked that price, but lets talk about me trading in, now.
Otherwise, just be blunt and say, "Whether I trade or not depends on the price I get for the WK2". I remember using a line like that when I traded in for my KJ when they asked if I'd be trading in or not. After I got the KJ price I was happy with, I then said something like, "So let's discuss my old vehicle." Transaction two started.
Originally Posted by Jim Hef
Go to kbb.com and run your vehicle for 'trade-in value'. .... The KBB price will give you what you should get for the trade, and this will eliminate the "over allowance" crap that skews what you are actually paying for your new Jeep.
Around here, dealers don't seem use kbb; they all use NADA (nada.com). One dealer pulled his little yellow & blue NADA guide book out in front of me when I went to trade in an Explorer; the price was significantly lower than what kbb and edmunds suggested
. The price I had in mind based on the research I had done on kbb and edmunds was not going to happen as he was concerned. I also vaguely remember another dealer specifically told me they used NADA.