Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 07-01-2013, 12:59 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NSW Australia
Posts: 832
Thanks: 52
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Rep Power: 1403
SJandL has a reputation beyond reputeSJandL has a reputation beyond reputeSJandL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
I find US drivers seriously rude, not moving over when you need to merge, speeding up when you are passing them, and my biggest pet peeve, going slow or at the same speed in the passing lane and never getting out of it.
From an Aussie/Kiwi point of view - have only ever experienced this once Yadkin and that was on our last trip and on the freeway from LA to San Diego. Just a couple of drivers who refused to allow a lane change from us and both sped up or slowed down to ensure that wouldn't happen.

But you know, it happens here in Aust as well. Crappy drivers exist on all Continents. As it turned out, my husband treated that driver in exactly the same way he would treat it here if he was driving on say the M5 in Sydney and said '#@$% you, I'm going' and he did... and of course the lane change was made. Got flipped the bird of course from the young female driver but whatever. It's the same in all countries, it's not unique to the US at all.

I do however have an issue with the noise of the freeways in the US. They are so noisy compared to downunder - both Australia and NZ (I'm a Kiwi so of course I always include NZ in everything).

I think it is because they make them of concrete and groove them whilst down here, we do the bitumen/asphalt thing generally. I think that concrete lasts longer though (?) but it is very noisy.

Just an observation.
__________________

__________________
'07 WK Limited 5.7 Hemi
'14 WK2 Overland CRD ORAII

Ordered: MY14 KL Limited Cherokee. True Blue/Moroccan Black. 2.0L CRD with Tech group, Electronics group and Pano. Delivery - ??
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-01-2013, 07:55 AM
Krisw123's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 588
Krisw123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

Interesting. I have the exact opposite opinion of driving on US rural highways vs those in Ireland. I find US drivers seriously rude, not moving over when you need to merge, speeding up when you are passing them, and my biggest pet peeve, going slow or at the same speed in the passing lane and never getting out of it. In Ireland they generally drive the posted speed in the travel lane, get in the passing lane and accelerate past a slower driver, then switch back to the travel lane back to their set speed.

Are UK drivers not like that?
I'm not sure about Ireland. But in England it is a major issue that some drivers "hog" the middle or even outside lane resulting in undertaking and lane changing which is not allowed. The "hoggers" then close right up to car in front to stop others cutting back in.

It is potentially very dangerous and causes lots of shunts and considerable road rage.
New legislation is just about to be introduced into UK to allow police to fine and put points on the licences of drivers who do this.

I have had a couple of instances where drivers have tried to stop me lane changing in CO but definitely the exception.

As I say I find it much less stressful driving in CO. I am recently retired so perhaps because I am not really in a hurry to get anywhere it is a bit different! :-)
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-01-2013, 08:05 AM
Krisw123's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 588
Krisw123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJandL View Post
From an Aussie/Kiwi point of view - have only ever experienced this once Yadkin and that was on our last trip and on the freeway from LA to San Diego. Just a couple of drivers who refused to allow a lane change from us and both sped up or slowed down to ensure that wouldn't happen.

But you know, it happens here in Aust as well. Crappy drivers exist on all Continents. As it turned out, my husband treated that driver in exactly the same way he would treat it here if he was driving on say the M5 in Sydney and said '#@$% you, I'm going' and he did... and of course the lane change was made. Got flipped the bird of course from the young female driver but whatever. It's the same in all countries, it's not unique to the US at all.

I do however have an issue with the noise of the freeways in the US. They are so noisy compared to downunder - both Australia and NZ (I'm a Kiwi so of course I always include NZ in everything).

I think it is because they make them of concrete and groove them whilst down here, we do the bitumen/asphalt thing generally. I think that concrete lasts longer though (?) but it is very noisy.

Just an observation.
Yes there are quite a lot of concrete carriageways in the US and yes they are noisy. As a retired highway engineer from UK i know it has always been a contentious issue.

They need to be grooved for skid resistance and jointed to allow expansion because they are not flexible like Tarmac. This is what causes most of the noise.

They are hard wearing needing little maintenance. They are also expensive to replace although this is happening in a lot of places in UK for environmental reasons because the noise not only affects those driving on them but residents in the vicinity. The A27 in southern England between Havant and Chichester is a prime example.

A form of porous Tarmac is now being extensively used. It is very smooth and quiet but not so hard wearing. It seems to be being used a lot in parts of Europe.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-01-2013, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 249
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1067
crabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond reputecrabman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
I had a few seconds of spare time to use Google, and I have to comment on this. I just couldn't let this much ignorance go unchallenged.

In 2010 there were 11,422 gun homicides in the U.S. On average there are approximately 55 people killed by lightning a year. (Huffington Post and USA Today, respectively.)

Facts are wonderful, aren't they? I could check some of the other causes of death you listed if you'd like.

And for the record I am not anti-gun. Just pro-education.

Tony
I'm glad I wandered back by. Pro Education? Start by learning to read. The poster wanted to know what his chances are of dying at the hands of an armed citizen as the result of a traffic altercation but you choose to select total homicide deaths as having relevance? And then say you are not anti-gun? lol Try using your amazing skills to find the total number of foreign tourists who die as a result of an altercation in traffic at the hands of an armed citizen and see if that number bears any resemblance to total homicide deaths. Thank you for the education, I've learned to put you on ignore. That life is way to short to waste time with condescending people pushing an agenda I already knew.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Tony407's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 928
Tony407 has a reputation beyond reputeTony407 has a reputation beyond reputeTony407 has a reputation beyond reputeTony407 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
I'm glad I wandered back by. Pro Education? Start by learning to read. The poster wanted to know what his chances are of dying at the hands of an armed citizen as the result of a traffic altercation but you choose to select total homicide deaths as having relevance? And then say you are not anti-gun? lol Try using your amazing skills to find the total number of foreign tourists who die as a result of an altercation in traffic at the hands of an armed citizen and see if that number bears any resemblance to total homicide deaths. Thank you for the education, I've learned to put you on ignore. That life is way to short to waste time with condescending people pushing an agenda I already knew.
Below is your original post in its entirety. Nowhere does it say anything about traffic altercations or foreign tourists. I wasn't pushing an agenda in any way whatsoever.

Tony

"If you wanna know when its going to hurt that would be when you go to the beach and see some of us lazy Americans in our bathing attire. O.O lol ok Seriously, among many other things in America you are statistically more likely to die by a fatal lightning strike, falling, being hit by a car, drowning, riding a bicycle, plane crash, electrocution, exposure to heat, stung by bees, wasps, and hornets, earthquake, fireworks discharge, bitten by dog, medical malpractice.

Yes, those things are all more likely to kill you than receiving a fatal gunshot. There are many more but these help highlight the real risk in a way that makes us understand that it would be irrational to fear meeting your end at the hands of an armed citizen."
__________________
2014 4x4 V6 Summit
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
amc2002's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2002 4.0L TJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 519
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 236933
amc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond reputeamc2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

I think the real issue here is being lost -- we're still looked at as a bunch of cowboys running around with guns. That might not matter to some of you of course, but I think it reflects badly upon us as a society. A friend of mine had a bad experience when he traveled to NH. I was shocked. I grew up there. He looks middle-eastern and I guess he ran into some ignorant hicks who gave him a hard time when he got lost. Ugh. We still have a long way to go.

To sort of answer the question, here are some tips:

1) I think most of the things that piss off drivers here are the same things that piss them off everywhere. Things like not paying attention, not signaling, sitting in the fast lane if you're not passing someone, not being PREDICTABLE in your movements on the road...

2) If you need to get your bearings or set your GPS, pull FAR over on the road or better yet, in a parking lot, figure out what you need to do, then rejoin traffic. Don't try to drive and do something else at the same time.

3) If you do something stupid (like we all do), like cutting someone off or something, do everything you can to let the person continue with as little inconvenience as possible -- if that means switching lanes back and looking sheepish and mouthing "I'm sorry," do it. Don't be a pushover, but don't compound the stupidity.

4) If someone decides they're going to mess with you (this is not likely to happen out of the blue, nor is it probably LIKELY to happen at ALL), don't engage them. Let them go. Chances are, unless they have nothing else to do that day, they will go on to whatever appointment they're late for.

5) Be aware of your surroundings.

This might all be obvious, and forgive me if it is, but you're very likely to meet great people, have some great conversations, enjoy some great scenery, and have a pleasant and uneventful (as far as drama goes) trip. Relax, and HAVE FUN! I've driven just about everywhere and the last time I saw a gun in a car was when my uncle used to have shotguns on the gun rack in the back of his pickup truck in the 1970's.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 161
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 878
tony4311 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

I would be shocked if you even saw a gun or ran into anybody talking about them let alone a road rage instance. That would be like me asking you how many kangaroos I can expect to see as I drive through your city. I mean those and koalas are every where you look right?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-01-2013, 08:44 PM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 202244
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisw123 View Post
I'm not sure about Ireland. But in England it is a major issue that some drivers "hog" the middle or even outside lane resulting in undertaking and lane changing which is not allowed. The "hoggers" then close right up to car in front to stop others cutting back in.

It is potentially very dangerous and causes lots of shunts and considerable road rage.
New legislation is just about to be introduced into UK to allow police to fine and put points on the licences of drivers who do this.

I have had a couple of instances where drivers have tried to stop me lane changing in CO but definitely the exception.

As I say I find it much less stressful driving in CO. I am recently retired so perhaps because I am not really in a hurry to get anywhere it is a bit different! :-)
I'm sure a lot of it depends on traffic. The more congestion, the more peeps get frustrated with each other. But here it seems to happen when there's little traffic. A big 6 lane road, and they drive three across...

But I was very impressed with the Irish roads and how folks drove on them. Not once was there an issue, and I did a lot of driving in 9 days. Got a speed camera ticket in the mail a few weeks later though...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:18 AM
Shutterbug57's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 816
Shutterbug57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I find US drivers seriously rude, not moving over when you need to merge,
You might want to look up the legal requirements of the various parties in a merge. Not sure about NC law, but in OH & KY, it is the responsibility of the continuing party to maintain lane and speed and the requirement of the party entering the highway to fit in.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Yadkin's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Yadkin Valley, NC
Posts: 1,245
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 202244
Yadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond reputeYadkin has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterbug57 View Post
You might want to look up the legal requirements of the various parties in a merge. Not sure about NC law, but in OH & KY, it is the responsibility of the continuing party to maintain lane and speed and the requirement of the party entering the highway to fit in.
I'm talking about drivers who speed up to block you from merging and "close the hole" behind the vehicle in front of them.
__________________
Owner of Loud Pedal Performance in Mocksville, NC
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM
Shutterbug57's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 85
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 816
Shutterbug57 is on a distinguished road
Re: Who "carries" in their Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I'm talking about drivers who speed up to block you from merging and "close the hole" behind the vehicle in front of them.
OK, that is different than not moving over.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-02-2013, 06:47 PM
Krisw123's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 588
Krisw123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post

I'm sure a lot of it depends on traffic. The more congestion, the more peeps get frustrated with each other. But here it seems to happen when there's little traffic. A big 6 lane road, and they drive three across...

But I was very impressed with the Irish roads and how folks drove on them. Not once was there an issue, and I did a lot of driving in 9 days. Got a speed camera ticket in the mail a few weeks later though...
That is Southern Ireland you are talking about I guess? Have you driven in England or mainland Europe?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The "OFFICIAL" JeepGarage.Org 2012-15 WK2 Jeep SRT "Ordered" thread Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 141 07-15-2014 07:56 PM
Has anyone had problems after dealer "activated" or "initialized" new equipment?? kodiak1120 Audio/Visual/Navigation 0 12-31-2012 12:45 PM
Opinions needed " GRAND CHEROKEE " on the front instead of " JEEP " ten64 Interior/Exterior/Visual 30 02-10-2012 05:11 PM
Difference Between "Production" & "Premium" Floor Mats coy886 Grand Cherokee - WK 3 09-08-2011 10:32 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community