Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #169  
Old 10-16-2012, 06:34 PM
bigrboland's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1048
bigrboland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbie09 View Post
dude, you started the arguing, now deal.with the arguing back.


Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
Hilarious! I wasn't aware I was arguing. How old are you? Has mommy and daddy made the first payment on your Jeep yet? Do they pay the monthly bill for that phone you can't type on? Nice flaps by the way. LOL
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Smooth1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1624
Smooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrboland View Post
YOUR need was obviously the V6 for lower up front costs, maintenance costs, and/or fuel costs. That's perfectly fine. Stop beating yourself up over it. Sheesh!
I'm not beating myself up, I like the V6 because it fits my needs perfectly! It wasn't the lower upfront cost, They were about the same price. It's about being able to get in and drive it the way I want to and fro with out additional penalties. I would never be stupid enough to take a $50K V8 powered SUV into 10 mph stop and go city traffic day after day. I don't like to spend my money foolishly and try not to do foolish things.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:18 PM
bigrboland's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1048
bigrboland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1 View Post
I'm not beating myself up, I like the V6 because it fits my needs perfectly! It wasn't the lower upfront cost, They were about the same price. It's about being able to get in and drive it the way I want to and fro with out additional penalties. I would never be stupid enough to take a $50K V8 powered SUV into 10 mph stop and go city traffic day after day. I don't like to spend my money foolishly and try not to do foolish things.
So it's all about fuel cost for you. I believe that's what a few of us have been saying all along. There's nothing wrong with that. You made the choice that was right for you. However, if the Hemi got the same mpg's as the V6, you most likely would have gotten the Hemi, as long as you were ok with the added upfront cost. Does putting it that way make sense?

And FYI - I paid $33K (used, before taxes, 30K miles) for mine, and I don't drive 10mph in stop and go traffic day after day, but insulting those that do by insinuating that they're stupid isn't very nice. Can't we all just get along???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM
subbie09's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 612
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Rep Power: 3628
subbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond reputesubbie09 has a reputation beyond repute
Hey ass. FYI, I pay for my new Jeep. I also pay for my own house, my own wedding, and my own graduate degree. I am a very successful 25 year old who before this Jeep owned a.car that.ran 11s with his own money. My parents gave me no assistance for anything in my life. I did.college and.everything beyond it through my.hard work and smart investment decisions. I dont take handouts and never will. I have been places and.experienced things most people my age never will. I am a normal white collar middle class American. So before you start the personal attacks get your facts known first or it makes you appear ass like.

FYI, the flaps are the winter months where they load the roads with salt, cinder, and brine. Function is greater than form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 10-16-2012, 08:23 PM
padgett's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,570
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 80287
padgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Just a couple of data points:
Orlando>Franklin NC at 70+ full of luggage & a/c on 560 miles 23.3 mpg
8% grade at 55+ - 2800 rpm in 3rd, NP maintaining speed/never felt strained
Just checked & no misfires (ave or last) on #2 or #4. Mexican engine.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
bigrboland's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1048
bigrboland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbie09 View Post
Hey ass. FYI, I pay for my new Jeep. I also pay for my own house, my own wedding, and my own graduate degree. I am a very successful 25 year old who before this Jeep owned a.car that.ran 11s with his own money. My parents gave me no assistance for anything in my life. I did.college and.everything beyond it through my.hard work and smart investment decisions. I dont take handouts and never will. I have been places and.experienced things most people my age never will. I am a normal white collar middle class American. So before you start the personal attacks get your facts known first or it makes you appear ass like.

FYI, the flaps are the winter months where they load the roads with salt, cinder, and brine. Function is greater than form.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

No comment.

Anyone else driven both the V6 and the V8 and has something to add to this thread?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 10-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 16556
TSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond reputeTSollecito has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

I have just recently traded my 2013 V6 Limited for a 2013 Hemi Limited w/ LuxII package and really enjoy both engines. Quite simply the V6 is a great engine and I was impressed with how well it pulled such a heavy, truly off road capable SUV. I never encountered a scenario where I felt the engine to be underpowered at all. The transmission did have to downshift often but it was smooth and I had no issues. Im not sure if the 2013 models had any updates that would help with engine performance or shift points but this engine great on back roads and on the highway. Im surprised at some of the bickering between models. Both engines are great and accomplish exactly what they were designed for. We are actually lucky to have to make a choice between the two engines. Jeep gave buyers an option, and options are always good. Buyers looking for good MPG, and dont tow, may have went to another brand if the only choice was the hemi, and likewise buyers looking for more hp for towing or off roading may have went to another brand if the only choice was the V6. Just like not everyone needs tow hooks, or skid plates, navigation, or leather, choices allow his model to reach a variety of consumers. An overland with v6 is obviously levels up from a laredo with hemi, but both are great vehicles and are targeted to a certain market. I never once felt i was driving a subpar engine just to get better MPG. Cost was not an option and I chose the V6, and I was impressed. In fact the pentastar is more popular as they are tougher to find. I think the pentastar is great and Im looking forward to what v8 or turbocharged pentastars are coming in the future. I recently just aquired the 2013 with Hemi and I feel its a little more fun to drive. It sounds great and pulls harder. I like to look at aftermarket items and can see myself getting an exhaust or CAI in the future. I feel this suits me better. With that said, gas mpg is significantly less. Maybe not as bad on the highway, but city driving is def less. Im lucky enough to take the train to work, and if I had to commute every day my choice may have been much different. I would have probably kept my V6 and enjoyed it. Most of the points have been mentioned in this thread somewhere. The hemi's recommended octane is 89, the v6 87, the hemi is heavier and the v6 is more nimble, hemi maintenance costs may be a little more as well. This has all been mentioned. I dont think I have said anything that hasnt been mentioned before, but I did just have two 2013 Grand Cherokees in both engines and was impressed with both. The wk2 is one of the nicest Jeeps ever made and enjoy whichever model you have. Bring back the jeep brotherhood and lets just help each other enjoy our new toys. This forum is a great place to learn. Choices are what make this vehicle so great, and why such a wide variety of consumers can enjoy it. I recently made a choice that cost a little bit more but ultimately makes me happier. It worked for me. If I can ever help or answer a question feel free to ask any time, and Im glad to be a Jeep owner!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Smooth1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1624
Smooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by:
Member bigrboland

My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2

No. I would never be stupid enough to take a $60k vehicle off road or on snow and ice covered roads. Sounds like you may be. My logic is just fine. Good day sir! I said, good day!]
Quote:
Originally Posted by:
Member bigrboland
I should clarify that I wouldn't take a $60k + vehicle NOT MEANT for those conditions, into those conditions. I don't spend foolishly and try not to do foolish things.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrboland:
YOUR need was obviously the V6 for lower up front costs, maintenance costs, and/or fuel costs. That's perfectly fine. Stop beating yourself up over it. Sheesh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth1
I'm not beating myself up, I like the V6 because it fits my needs perfectly! It wasn't the lower upfront cost, They were about the same price. It's about being able to get in and drive it the way I want to and fro with out additional penalties. I would never be stupid enough to take a $50K V8 powered SUV into 10 mph stop and go city traffic day after day. I don't like to spend my money foolishly and try not to do foolish things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrboland View Post
So it's all about fuel cost for you. I believe that's what a few of us have been saying all along. There's nothing wrong with that. You made the choice that was right for you. However, if the Hemi got the same mpg's as the V6, you most likely would have gotten the Hemi, as long as you were ok with the added upfront cost. Does putting it that way make sense?

And FYI - I paid $33K (used, before taxes, 30K miles) for mine, and I don't drive 10mph in stop and go traffic day after day, but insulting those that do by insinuating that they're stupid isn't very nice. Can't we all just get along???
How is using exactly what you said insulting you?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
bigrboland's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1048
bigrboland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

You didn't insult me. You insulted those that may "take a $50K V8 powered SUV into 10 mph stop and go city traffic day after day", by insinuating that they're stupid. Give it up already. You may not spend foolishly, and u say you try not to do foolish things, but your not trying hard enough.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 803
OakvilleOverland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

My wife and I just bought a late 12 Overland V6 for her, and in doing so test drove a V8 Overland, a V8 Alititude, in addition to a few V6's, and we settled on the V6. Speed is not everything, and unless I have a 25 foot boat, I can't see the need for the added cost of the V8 powerplant.

I drive a 2010 Subaru Impreza STi, which more than covers off the desire for fast fun. I think we are spoiled by expecting so much because the GC Overland offers almost everything you could ask for, yet if we consider why we love this vehicle, redlight racing likely would be last on the list. It does everything we need more than well, and is one of the best and most capable Luxury/SUV options in the world. I am more than content losing 0.8 seconds in 0-60 drag time, and 3-4 feet in boatsize from a towing capability standpoint, in exchange for the upside and benefits of the V6.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old 10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Smooth1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1624
Smooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakvilleOverland View Post
My wife and I just bought a late 12 Overland V6 for her, and in doing so test drove a V8 Overland, a V8 Alititude, in addition to a few V6's, and we settled on the V6. Speed is not everything, and unless I have a 25 foot boat, I can't see the need for the added cost of the V8 powerplant.

I drive a 2010 Subaru Impreza STi, which more than covers off the desire for fast fun. I think we are spoiled by expecting so much because the GC Overland offers almost everything you could ask for, yet if we consider why we love this vehicle, redlight racing likely would be last on the list. It does everything we need more than well, and is one of the best and most capable Luxury/SUV options in the world. I am more than content losing 0.8 seconds in 0-60 drag time, and 3-4 feet in boatsize from a towing capability standpoint, in exchange for the upside and benefits of the V6.
Good post! a collection of shared sentiments by many.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old 10-24-2012, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 104
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1392
Doc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond reputeDoc_d has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

I did a trip to the U.P. of Michigan last week. 1,400 miles of highway, back country and a lot of slow and rough logging roads. I averaged 21.4 MPG in my Laredo X hemi. Besides the smooth power with gobs of torque the best part was not having to wait for 4 weeks to get my heads replaced
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belt driven OBA 4.7 WJ? bigwestjp Off Road Modifications 1 07-23-2012 08:28 PM
Post your honest comment here...ONLY if you've driven the 2012 WK2 Jeep SRT8! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 18 09-08-2011 01:32 PM
V6 or Hemi??? Anybody driven both??? grif82 Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 57 02-17-2011 12:42 PM
Not A SRT8 WK2 But A WK2 Speed Demon Review! NYCSRTATE Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 17 12-04-2010 12:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.