Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
ajs800's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 32032
ajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
I seriously doubt that the folks here saying the V6 is okay have driven it in OVERLAND trim back-to-back with the Hemi Overland.

There's just no way anyone with any driving experience would not immediately notice the difference that all the extra HP/torque brings. It's noticeable on local roads, hills and the highway.

The V6 is UNDERPOWERED for the Overland trim level weight. The extra weight with passengers is too much for it. Yes, it can move the car, but it OBVIOUSLY strains in some situations. For ME this was not acceptable in a luxury off road SUV with an MSRP pushing 50K.

You can't change the numbers and pretend that all that extra torque doesn't make for a better driving experience. Sorry.


Robert
I had one (overland) of each for over a week before purchasing. I liked the hemi, but really wansn't blown away by it and didn't think it was necessary given my driving habits . I also disliked the tranny feel as it felt just like my '06 Hemi (same tranny). My opinion is, the V6 gets the job done nicely, and there wasn't enough of a WOW factor to push me to the Hemi this time.


The weight difference between models is not that different...Less than 200lbs. The difference between the v6 and v8 is the big difference...The hemi weighs over 300lbs more across all models. and yes the extra torque/power makes up for the added weight. I noticed the weight when slowing and taking turns-- the v6 seemed less nose heavy and more nimble, but Llke all other comments on here...just my opinion.

Base Laredo 4x4(hemi) = 5020
Loaded Overland Hemi 4x4 (hemi)= 5210

.
__________________

__________________
2011 Overland, Dk Charcoal Pearl, Black/Saddle w/Summit Wood Trim Swap, V6, QL, 20" wheels, 730N
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 10-12-2012, 09:17 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 181
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 965
z0lt3c is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Nobody is going to change CaptRB's opinion of the V6 v V8 -- save some typing.

Personally, after test driving both a V6 and a V8, I went w/ the V6. I just didn't feel the overall experience of the V8 was significantly better to justify the increase in price. I do most of my driving in city environments, so the gas mileage difference was substantial for me (about 5mpg better for the V6) in addition to the upgrade cost of the engine. I also look at the V8 as being old technology, which Jeep tried to update by retrofitting modern features. I would be much more interested in the next generation Hemi being considered for future models w/ the 8 speed transmission.

I don't agree that you need the Hemi to tow. I tow my 3000lb boat all over the place with my V6, it's never struggled with power, uphills or otherwise. It all depends on what you are looking to tow, but under 5000lbs the V6 does an admirable job. My previous vehicle was a Lexus GX470 and the V6 Laredo has substantially more power and quickness then the sluggish Toyota V8.

Finally, for those expecting the Hemi to return better resale or trade-in value, I think you will be sorely disappointed. With rising fuel costs and historic wholesale pricing of the WK1 V6 v V8, you will never recoup anywhere close to the $5K it cost to get into the engine at purchase.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22375
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs800 View Post
I had one (overland) of each for over a week before purchasing. I liked the hemi, but really wansn't blown away by it and didn't think it was necessary given my driving habits . I also disliked the tranny feel as it felt just like my '06 (same tranny).


The weight difference between models is not that different...Less than 200lbs. The difference between the v6 and v8 is the big difference...The hemi weighs over 300lbs more across all models. and yes the extra torque/power makes up for the added weight. I noticed the weight when slowing and taking turns-- the v6 seemed less nose heavy and more nimble, but Llke all other comments on here...just my opinion.

Base Laredo 4x4(hemi) = 5020
Loaded Overland Hemi 4x4 (hemi)= 5210

.



Opinions are best when based on FACTS.

V6 4x4 Laredo weight = 4660
V8 4x4 Overland Weight = 5210

If you think the V6 won't notice the extra hundreds of lbs you're wrong. There's a BIG difference in torque.

Now, so far as the handling of both: Virtually NO DIFFERENCE and highly dependent on tires. Weight distribution is just 1% apart between V6 and V8. All things being equal the V8 Overland is the better SUV in the snow, rain and so on. The V6 is a step down in the Overland trim. As I said, once my friend drove my Hemi he fell out of love with the V6 and is trading up.

Robert
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM
ajs800's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 32032
ajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
Opinions are best when based on FACTS.

V6 4x4 Laredo weight = 4660
V8 4x4 Overland Weight = 5210

If you think the V6 won't notice the extra hundreds of lbs you're wrong. There's a BIG difference in torque.

Now, so far as the handling of both: Virtually NO DIFFERENCE and highly dependent on tires. Weight distribution is just 1% apart between V6 and V8. All things being equal the V8 Overland is the better SUV in the snow, rain and so on. The V6 is a step down in the Overland trim. As I said, once my friend drove my Hemi he fell out of love with the V6 and is trading up.

Robert
laughable...read again, sir. I stated weight for Laredo (v8) vs. Overland (v8). Please let me know what's not factual about those figures?

My whole point is the weight difference is not that drastic between a loaded Overland and base laredo as you might think, unless you think 190lbs is a substantial amount. The big difference in weights is going to 4x2 or the v6. If you think the 190lbs makes that much of a difference, what about the 310lbs between the v6 and v8 when it comes to overall handling?

.
__________________
2011 Overland, Dk Charcoal Pearl, Black/Saddle w/Summit Wood Trim Swap, V6, QL, 20" wheels, 730N
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Smooth1's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1526
Smooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond reputeSmooth1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0lt3c View Post
Nobody is going to change CaptRB's opinion of the V6 v V8 -- save some typing.

Personally, after test driving both a V6 and a V8, I went w/ the V6. I just didn't feel the overall experience of the V8 was significantly better to justify the increase in price. I do most of my driving in city environments, so the gas mileage difference was substantial for me (about 5mpg better for the V6) in addition to the upgrade cost of the engine. I also look at the V8 as being old technology, which Jeep tried to update by retrofitting modern features. I would be much more interested in the next generation Hemi being considered for future models w/ the 8 speed transmission.

I don't agree that you need the Hemi to tow. I tow my 3000lb boat all over the place with my V6, it's never struggled with power, uphills or otherwise. It all depends on what you are looking to tow, but under 5000lbs the V6 does an admirable job. My previous vehicle was a Lexus GX470 and the V6 Laredo has substantially more power and quickness then the sluggish Toyota V8.

Finally, for those expecting the Hemi to return better resale or trade-in value, I think you will be sorely disappointed. With rising fuel costs and historic wholesale pricing of the WK1 V6 v V8, you will never recoup anywhere close to the $5K it cost to get into the engine at purchase.
Quote:
Personally, after test driving both a V6 and a V8, I went w/ the V6. I just didn't feel the overall experience of the V8 was significantly better to justify the increase in price. I do most of my driving in city environments, so the gas mileage difference was substantial for me (about 5mpg better for the V6) in addition to the upgrade cost of the engine. I also look at the V8 as being old technology, which Jeep tried to update by retrofitting modern features. I would be much more interested in the next generation Hemi being considered for future models w/ the 8 speed transmission.
YES!!! This is what I'm saying! I think CaptRB still bought the wrong WK2....should have gotten the SRT8 version.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 10-12-2012, 11:52 AM
SixZeroFour's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 542
Thanks: 11
Thanked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Rep Power: 54358
SixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond reputeSixZeroFour has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

I owned a Laredo X V6 for 6 months and then traded up to a V8 Overland so I have had lots of time behind the wheel with both engines. As a few enlightened members have stated, it all comes down to what works best for you. Thats the whole point of offering multiple engine options.

The V6 is a good little powerplant and is a great choice for those looking to squeeze out max fuel economy. If your not worried about mpg, need to tow large loads, or enjoy spirited driving then the V8 is the better choice.

One thing I do have to call BS on is some of the average mpg numbers that have been posted. With consistant driving not worrying about mpg but also not driving like an idiot I would average about 17.5 MPG in mixed hwy/city with the V6 - That has since dropped to about 14 ish' MPG with the 5.7L. Yes, you can get up about 20+mpg with the V8 on a flat highway with cruise control and MDS on but thats not a very good representation of everyday driving for most people. I think Jeep has advertised fairly accurate numbers for both:

V6 (4x4): 16 city / 23 hwy
V8 (4x4): 13 city / 20 hwy

The other thing I find somewhat amusing is the people who say they test drove both back to back and didnt notice much difference... I think you might have left the e-brake on in the V8 because there is a clear cut performance difference between the two. On slight and moderate hills where the V6 needs to downshift at least 1 gear, sometimes 2, the V8 just powers on through smooth as silk. Also torque off the line is clearly superior with the V8. The only other difference I noticed between the two is that the 5.7L equipped Jeep feels a bit more like a truck while the v6 had more of a crossover type feel to it since it is a little lighter on its feet.

Bottom Line: MPG is the only logical reason to choose the v6 over the v8 in my opinion.
__________________
:: Blackberry Pearl Overland HEMI :: [265/65/18] Silent Armours :: CF Wrapped Interior Trim :: SRT Steering Wheel :: SRT Shift Knob :: Mopar Pedals/E-brake :: Weathertech Digital Fit Liners :: Mopar Cargo Mat :: Skid Plates :: Tow Package :: Ejector Seat ::
Reply With Quote
  #91  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:05 PM
bigrboland's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 171
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 949
bigrboland is on a distinguished road
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixZeroFour View Post
I owned a Laredo X V6 for 6 months and then traded up to a V8 Overland so I have had lots of time behind the wheel with both engines. As a few enlightened members have stated, it all comes down to what works best for you. Thats the whole point of offering multiple engine options.

The V6 is a good little powerplant and is a great choice for those looking to squeeze out max fuel economy. If your not worried about mpg, need to tow large loads, or enjoy spirited driving then the V8 is the better choice.

One thing I do have to call BS on is some of the average mpg numbers that have been posted. With consistant driving not worrying about mpg but also not driving like an idiot I would average about 17.5 MPG in mixed hwy/city with the V6 - That has since dropped to about 14 ish' MPG with the 5.7L. Yes, you can get up about 20+mpg with the V8 on a flat highway with cruise control and MDS on but thats not a very good representation of everyday driving for most people. I think Jeep has advertised fairly accurate numbers for both:

V6 (4x4): 16 city / 23 hwy
V8 (4x4): 13 city / 20 hwy

The other thing I find somewhat amusing is the people who say they test drove both back to back and didnt notice much difference... I think you might have left the e-brake on in the V8 because there is a clear cut performance difference between the two. On slight and moderate hills where the V6 needs to downshift at least 1 gear, sometimes 2, the V8 just powers on through smooth as silk. Also torque off the line is clearly superior with the V8. The only other difference I noticed between the two is that the 5.7L equipped Jeep feels a bit more like a truck while the v6 had more of a crossover type feel to it since it is a little lighter on its feet.

Bottom Line: MPG is the only logical reason to choose the v6 over the v8 in my opinion.

Very good post!

By now, the OP should have all the details he needs to purchase what is right for him.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 10-12-2012, 12:21 PM
ajs800's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2011 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 736
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 32032
ajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond reputeajs800 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

^Ditto. I feel sorry for the wk2 shopper undecided between the two looking to this forum for an answer.


.
__________________
2011 Overland, Dk Charcoal Pearl, Black/Saddle w/Summit Wood Trim Swap, V6, QL, 20" wheels, 730N
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22375
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

It's true....no one will change my mind. Drove both enough to know the hemi is better. Not just "different." That's what the V6 owners want to push, like bad politics. The V6 has just one advantage over the V8 and that's MPG by 2-3 MPG.

If that's your MAIN consideration, but the V6. But don't make silly claims about it against a much more powerful engine and faster vehicle.

On another note: There is NO major handling difference between the QL equipped V6 and V8. They are very close. One person might find the V8 a bit heavier but I find the v6 lacks proper power coming out of corners or dealing with even moderate grades and that's a bigger issue.

As for the SRT...I might have bought it, but I wanted the off-road capability of the Overland!





Robert
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 752
Thanks: 2
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1231668
2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute2012 Summit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRB View Post
It's true....no one will change my mind. Drove both enough to know the hemi is better. Not just "different." That's what the V6 owners want to push, like bad politics. The V6 has just one advantage over the V8 and that's MPG by 2-3 MPG.

If that's your MAIN consideration, but the V6. But don't make silly claims about it against a much more powerful engine and faster vehicle.

On another note: There is NO major handling difference between the QL equipped V6 and V8. They are very close. One person might find the V8 a bit heavier but I find the v6 lacks proper power coming out of corners or dealing with even moderate grades and that's a bigger issue.

As for the SRT...I might have bought it, but I wanted the off-road capability of the Overland!





Robert
I, for one, have no intentions of changing your mind. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Like I said earlier, there is no definitive answer as to what engine is the better choice. It's simply a personal preference.

What gets me the most is when people think only their opinion is correct and ALL others should think the same as they do. This narrow minded way of thinking is childish at best.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 211
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 22375
CaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond reputeCaptRB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 Summit View Post
I, for one, have no intentions of changing your mind. We are all entitled to our own opinion.

Like I said earlier, there is no definitive answer as to what engine is the better choice. It's simply a personal preference.

What gets me the most is when people think only their opinion is correct and ALL others should think the same as they do. This narrow minded way of thinking is childish at best.




I'm sorry, but that's the kind of PC statement that just isn't true.

The TRUTH is that the V8 is the BETTER engine. So let me define BETTER as it applies to an SUV.

1) It's able to get the car moving at speed more quickly.
2) It's able to handle hills and speed changes with less shifting.
3) It's able to handle heavy loads and towing better.
4) It's quieter under load and does not work as hard.
5) Once at speed it's quicker to accelerate in an emergency maneuver.

That's what I'd expect of a BETTER engine. And that's what the V8 hemi accomplishes compared to the V6, which has ONE advantage: Better MPG. If you're willing to trade 1 through 5 for the V6 economy, fine.

But the Hemi is still superior in every way in respect to performance, driving enjoyment, safety, flexibility and comfort.

NOTHING above is anything less than factual, supported by hard data. It's not an opinion. So when someone asks which engine BEST for highway & off-road I say the HEMI without hesitation. If they ask me which engine is BEST for highway only I say the SRT version without hesitation. Those are the two best performing engines in relation to DRIVING. If you have MPG as a priority that overrides 1 through 5 you still bought the weakest engine of the three.

FACTS, not opinions. Why can't people just be honest and up-front? The V6 works, but the V8 works better. Maybe the 8 speed will narrow the gap. I'm sure it will help.


Robert
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
padgett's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 80156
padgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond reputepadgett has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Who has driven both V6 & V8 WK2's

At least four of the five would be even better with the diesel. I just happen to like dohc 4 valve sixes. To each thier own. Notary sojac.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belt driven OBA 4.7 WJ? bigwestjp Off Road Modifications 1 07-23-2012 08:28 PM
Post your honest comment here...ONLY if you've driven the 2012 WK2 Jeep SRT8! Scottina06 Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 18 09-08-2011 01:32 PM
V6 or Hemi??? Anybody driven both??? grif82 Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts 57 02-17-2011 12:42 PM
Not A SRT8 WK2 But A WK2 Speed Demon Review! NYCSRTATE Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 17 12-04-2010 12:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community