Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee - WK2 -

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

So, walking my dog on a Sunday afternoon when I came upon a Porsche Cayenne with a flat that was parked right next to my rig. What does a good guy do, boom, stop and help.

Let me preface this story by saying how sad it is that I have come across a lot of men as of late that have absolutely no idea how to change a tire (complacency I guess) or at the very least have a handle on basic vehicle maintenance.

So, as you may or may not know, the Cayenne comes with wheel wedges to prevent the truck from rolling when on a jack, so I thought it was odd that the vehicle owner decided to put the wheel wedges on the same wheel that he was about to change (not kidding). Completely removing any doubt that this man was about to kill himself and his wife that was standing next to him, I decided I should offer him some help. First, I put the car's parking brake on (not kidding either), then I asked him to get the jack and stuff from the back of the car and also to find me the wheel lock. Without a moments hesitation, the guy said to me, "we need to lock it before we remove it"? At this point, I almost just knocked him out and stuffed him in the trunk, just so I could change his tire for him in peace, but alas, I just kept my mouth shut and pointed to the lug that I needed it for...Then came the jack for that suv. Gotta tell you, it made me really uneasy using that thing, bc of how you engage it, so, I just broke out the wk2 one and it was as smooth as glass (still getting myself a bottle jack bc I am sure the factory jack are only meant for one use before they melt).

Anyway, after about 35 minutes or so, all was done, with the exception of putting the stuff away, but I figured the guy could at least manage that.

So, there ya have it, my afternoon in a nut shell.

Anyone else have any absurd stories like that... love to hear them.
__________________

__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:46 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NJ
Posts: 406
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 899
Evolv0 is just really nice
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

haha good job and good story man.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolv0 View Post
haha good job and good story man.
The sad part is, is that it is true. Scary stuff out there man, scary as hell.
__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 451
bkbeagle is on a distinguished road
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunderboy View Post
So, walking my dog on a Sunday afternoon when I came upon a Porsche Cayenne with a flat that was parked right next to my rig. What does a good guy do, boom, stop and help.

Let me preface this story by saying how sad it is that I have come across a lot of men as of late that have absolutely no idea how to change a tire (complacency I guess) or at the very least have a handle on basic vehicle maintenance.

So, as you may or may not know, the Cayenne comes with wheel wedges to prevent the truck from rolling when on a jack, so I thought it was odd that the vehicle owner decided to put the wheel wedges on the same wheel that he was about to change (not kidding). Completely removing any doubt that this man was about to kill himself and his wife that was standing next to him, I decided I should offer him some help. First, I put the car's parking brake on (not kidding either), then I asked him to get the jack and stuff from the back of the car and also to find me the wheel lock. Without a moments hesitation, the guy said to me, "we need to lock it before we remove it"? At this point, I almost just knocked him out and stuffed him in the trunk, just so I could change his tire for him in peace, but alas, I just kept my mouth shut and pointed to the lug that I needed it for...Then came the jack for that suv. Gotta tell you, it made me really uneasy using that thing, bc of how you engage it, so, I just broke out the wk2 one and it was as smooth as glass (still getting myself a bottle jack bc I am sure the factory jack are only meant for one use before they melt).

Anyway, after about 35 minutes or so, all was done, with the exception of putting the stuff away, but I figured the guy could at least manage that.

So, there ya have it, my afternoon in a nut shell.

Anyone else have any absurd stories like that... love to hear them.

You are a good man my friend! Most people would not even have helped and would've just gone about their business. Kudos to you also for not emasculating the poor sap in front of his wife.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:32 PM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Thanks bkbeagle! As for me, I know I have been helped in the past, so I guess it was my way of paying it forward and also, I really thought he was going to kill himself.. As for the other guy, well, the mere fact of me helping him out and schooling him on the intricacies of wheel wedges was emasculating enough, so at that point, I found it best to let sleeping dogs lie.
__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Posts: 610
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 381912
Aiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond reputeAiyer has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

LOL. Good job! +rep for being a good samaritan.

But, even tho the jack on the Cayenne looks flimsy.. they are good to use. I have used it few times on our Cayenne and it works great.

Cheers,
-A
__________________
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
2008 Porsche Cayenne S
2004 Porsche 911 Turbo Cab
2002 Aprilia SL1000R
2000 Porsche Boxster & 1998 ZJ (both sold)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiyer View Post
LOL. Good job! +rep for being a good samaritan.

But, even tho the jack on the Cayenne looks flimsy.. they are good to use. I have used it few times on our Cayenne and it works great.

Cheers,
-A
LOL, thanks man. I gotta tell you, I never saw a jack that operated like that but, if its made by Porsche (or Porsche approved), how bad could it be?
__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Jeep_addicted's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Thomas US. Virgin islands
Posts: 1,128
Thanks: 16
Thanked 57 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 1332172
Jeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond reputeJeep_addicted has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Chunderboy the Cayenne/Touareg jack is a really good jack.

You have the find the rubber pad on the rocker panel after that you crank that sucker a few times and it is in the air.

That is the one thing I wish the Grand cherokee had was the jack from the touareg. The jack that comes with the grand cherokee forces you to drag your knuckle on the ground I just keep hoping I never have to use it in a hurry because it takes to damn long to get the wheel off the ground.

Now if the want to talk about a jack that is really scary to use check out a BMW jack. if you can find one that still comes with a jack since they had almost began to put "run flats" on the whole line up of models.
__________________
  • '12 Laredo X V6 Deep Cherry Dark/Mid Greystone, QT1
  • Outside: colormatched Altitude Grille, S Limited rear valance, Euro frt. bumper moulding, Rear chrome trim. Sharkfin, 20% tint, RFUK (built my own)
  • Inside: Alcantara steering wheel/shift knob,SRT dash trim, illuminated front scuff plates, stainless rear scuff plates, bright pedals, F/R footwell lights
  • Performance: OEM dual exhaust conversion, HD brakes, E-code projectors, JW Speaker fogs
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep_addicted View Post
Chunderboy the Cayenne/Touareg jack is a really good jack.

You have the find the rubber pad on the rocker panel after that you crank that sucker a few times and it is in the air.

That is the one thing I wish the Grand cherokee had was the jack from the touareg. The jack that comes with the grand cherokee forces you to drag your knuckle on the ground I just keep hoping I never have to use it in a hurry because it takes to damn long to get the wheel off the ground.

Now if the want to talk about a jack that is really scary to use check out a BMW jack. if you can find one that still comes with a jack since they had almost began to put "run flats" on the whole line up of models.
I have no doubt they are good or at least as trustworthy as the one from our rig, but since I have never engaged, nor even seen one before, I just figured I would go with what I knew... As for our jacks, yea, totally a knuckle dragger, that's why I am getting a bottle jack for those "oh isht" moments.

As for the rubber pad, I did see that as well, but damn, still made me nervous.....
__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
f1anatic's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Illinoize
Posts: 1,049
Thanks: 18
Thanked 72 Times in 54 Posts
Rep Power: 158375
f1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond reputef1anatic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

how much did you charge?
can you rotate my tires using only the hand crank jack? Since you don't seem to mind the sweat...

was the wife hot?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2013, 02:38 PM
Chunderboy's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 3
Thanked 43 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 92966
Chunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond reputeChunderboy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1anatic View Post
how much did you charge?
can you rotate my tires using only the hand crank jack? Since you don't seem to mind the sweat...

was the wife hot?
LOL, a mere cup of coffee and a date with his wife! Actually she was : pretty soft (aka chunky), short ginger with small hands. Basically, everything I look for in someone that I never want to wake up next too.

He was a good guy who offered to buy me a beer, so if I seem him again, I will remind him he offered to buy me a steak dinner.

As for getting my hands dirty, man, always looking for an excuse..... within reason
__________________
2013 E-Group 4x4 in True Blue
Front and rear Blackhorse bumper guards
2013 Sahara Unlimited Anniversary wheels wrapped in 255/70R18 Bridgestone Dueler
Updated to 430N RHB Radio w/NAV
Crazy with the Plasti-dip
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM
jbjones85's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Raleigh/Durham NC
Posts: 1,096
Thanks: 72
Thanked 115 Times in 101 Posts
Rep Power: 2638
jbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond reputejbjones85 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: WK2 jack actually helped someone out (thankfully not me)

Good story and props for helping, as mentioned most people would just go on their way.

I have had a few good internal laughs on the questions I am asked since most people that know me know I do all of my own wrenching (within reason) and come to me with their issues.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wk2

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jack? NikonKiem Off Road Modifications 3 09-18-2013 04:46 AM
Jack question Biggie65792000 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 12-09-2012 10:28 PM
Lifting WK2 with Floor jack BobsWK2 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 2 12-08-2011 07:15 PM
tire jack jimprayn Troubleshooting/Problems 2 08-06-2010 07:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.