Has anyone put a rack on an '11 Cherokee using Yakima Q-Towers? On all my past SUV I have been able to use Yakima towers that grip the factory parallel rails. On the Cherokee it doesn't work. Thule makes some but they don't allow the installation of my Thule Evolution box far enough forward to clear the hatch.
Yakima says the Q-towers will work for me but I am worried about them scratching up my paint. Plus 125lbs max load including the weight of the box is not a huge amount. Below is the info from Yakima:
Here are the fit notes and measurements for your 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with Q-towers over your factory rack:
Vehicle: JEEP Grand Cherokee
Year Range: 2011-2011
Fit Type: Top
Factory Rack: Fits Over Factory Racks
Weight Limit: 125
Tower/Attachment: Q Towers
Crossbar Length: 58" CrossBars
Recommended Fairing: 50" Fairing
Front Clips/Landing Pads: Q10-A
Rear Clips/Landing Pads: Q5-A
M1: 47 1/8
M3: 46 Ό
82. Any load extending beyond the length of the roof (except luggage boxes) must be secured to both the front and rear of the vehicle, in addition to the rack.
114. Check clips after installing. Grab each clip and try to pull them hard away from your vehicle, twice. If the clip moves after the second pull, tighten the adjustment post. If the clip still moves after the second pull, recheck your measurements between the towers and adjust if necessary. Check clip again.
132. Any load/mount extending beyond the rear hatch seam may cause interference.
161. Maximum allowable weight load is 125 lbs.
180. This fit requires the use of current generation Q-Tower (4 Pack PN 8000124 or 2 Pack PN 8000135). Contact your local dealer if you have questions or call Consumer Service at 888-925-4621, Option 2, from 7am-5pm Pacific Time M-F.
197. Foam blocks limit capacity to one boat per vehicle.