Ok I have been meaning to do this write up DIY for a bit now. I just lost the images and was able to get them back. I don't recall seeing a write up on a WK2 brake job by anyone else so I figured I would do one having done front and rear brakes on my 2011 GC.
To start I ordered a full Power Stop K5952 set up that included front and back Carbon Ceramic pads. It also came with cross drilled, slotted, and vented rotors for the front and cross drilled and slotted rotors for the rear. The rear ones are not vented but your fronts do the majority of your braking anyway.
I will say the Power Stop set up is nice! Everything feels solid and the fit and finish is wonderful! If you are looking to do a brake upgrade and want some extra stopping power without breaking the bank look into them. You won't be disappointed.
I also took the time while I had the calipers off to paint them. Just basic spray on brake paint from Autozone. Did 3 coats while I was working on the rest of the install. The only special tools you will need to do the job are a 9/32 Allen bit in a ratchet, a 10.0 Allen bit in a ratchet, a 90 degree pick tool, and a large C clamp.
Pulled the front wheels first. On the back side of the caliper are the 10.0 Allen bolts that hold them on. They have rubber covers that you will need to take off then the Allen bolts are inside the cover. The Power Stop pads came with new rubbers in case yours are cracked or damaged. Mine were still good. I used a large C clamp and one of the old pads to push the caliper piston back into the caliper.
There is a mount arm that you will have to take off as well so you can get the rotor off the hub. I don't remember what size bolts they are but they are just metric bolts. I used brake cleaner spray and a scrub brush and liberally hosed down the calipers and scrubbed all of the dirt and stuff off so I could paint them.
Now in order to get the rotor off you need the pick tool. There is a rubber retainer that goes around the hub that holds the rotor in place. You can see the groove it sits in, in the previous picture. Use your pick tool and work that off. Once it is off you can pull the rotor off. I had to wrestle a bit with mine. There are a few tricks to get a seized rotor off but they are all over YouTube.
Once the old rotor is off you just slide the new rotor back on and put the rubber retainer back into place. I spun 2 lug nuts back on to hold everything in place because I was still doing a couple more coats of paint on the calipers.
Once the paint coats were dry enough I remounted the mount arm. Then I inserted the pads and lubed the guides that they slide along with the supplied lube in the Power Stop pad kit. Slide the caliper with the new pads back over the rotor and snap in the silver retainers. You can see them in the finished picture.
Rinse and repeat for the other side and the rears. The only difference front to back are the bolts that hold the caliper on for the rears are the 9/32nd Allen key. Otherwise it is exactly the same. Just remember when you are trying to remove the rear rotor don't have the emergency brake engaged! Oops! It doesn't like to come off! Take that time to inspect your emergency brake shoes and gear. Mine looked fine so I went on with my install.
There you can see the finished product with my Viper summer wheels on. Then I went and did the bed in process for the pads.
There is with my winter stock wheels on.
I will say this stopping power is awesome! You do hear a clicking noise with all the windows down that is the slots in the rotors passing the pads that gets louder when you apply the brakes. I only noticed it while I was driving along a row of garages at an apartment complex that I was at. I have also noticed that if the rotors are cold and wet you notice quite a bit of brake fade till they warm up. I rolled through an automatic car wash the other night and it was less than 40 degrees and noticed it. But it went back to normal pretty quickly. I also had my brake fluid flushed and synthetic fluid put in. The thing will stand itself on it's nose if you really get on the brakes!
I think the whole job took me like 4 hours. But it would have been an hour to two hour job if I hadn't taken the time to paint the calipers. Pretty simple. The only issues I ran into were getting the rotors off.