Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Technical Discussion > Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:05 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Dbhw2 is on a distinguished road
Angry 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

I purchased my 2014 Jeep GC six months ago and was very pleased with my purchase. I purchased it for my wife to use when she had to do errands with my newborn son. Flash forward 6 months, my wife calls me and tells me that car is driving erratically and will not go in reverse. I told her to call our tow service and have it towed to the dealership. Mind you the car has less than 4,000 miles on it. I was very upset since the whole reason I purchased a new car was for peace of mind. My wife and baby had to wait 2 hours at the supermarket for her sister to pick them up and take them home.
That same day, three hours went by with no phone call informing us the Jeep had arrived at the dealership. We decided to call and found out the car was there. The service person then told us that it was late in the day, around 3pm and that the Jeep would not be looked at until the following day. We then asked about a rental car for use during the time the Jeep was in service. We were given a Chrysler 200 as a rental with a $50 deposit. The car was much smaller, but I figured it would do. He then informed us the transmission might need to be replaced. This came as surprise to me since I have never in 10+ new car purchases had a new car require a transmission replacement at less than 4,000 miles.
On the third day, there was no update call from the dealership. At 5pm on the fourth day the service person left me message saying to call him back and that he would be in until 6pm. I didn't listen to the message until 6:30 so there was no communication on the fourth day.
Come today, I got to speak to the service person at Central Florida Chrysler Dodge Jeep. He told me the Jeep definitely needed a transmission replacement since there was metal when took a look at the transmission pan, and as per Chrysler guidelines that would require a complete replacement. I then asked when the work would be completed, he said the transmission were not readily available and would be in by Friday of next week. I then asked if the would provide a rental for the duration of repair to which he replied "we only cover 5 days". I told him it was not my fault they sold me a faulty product and they didn't have parts readily available to fix it. Having a transmission replace this early on is a pretty big deal as is, but to not cover a rental on a new car purchase for a manufacturing defect, we'll that's not standing by your product and it's horrible customer service.
He proceeded to give me the corporate customer service number at my request and told me the rental extension was out of his hands. I called the number and the lady on the phone said she would do her best to get the rental extended, but would not be able to see if it is approved until Monday.
Needless to say, I am not happy with the overall ownership experience with Jeep. I wish they would have issued a recall since it is a pretty well known issue with the 6 cylinder models' 8 speed transmission. Had they issued one, my transmission might have been able to be fixed before it needed to be replaced. The service person told me they were getting 60+ transmissions from the manufacturer in order to handle all the issues in this region.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2014, 08:48 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,395
Thanks: 341
Thanked 368 Times in 319 Posts
Rep Power: 1801976
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

Good that you found a place to vent.


---
__________________

__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:11 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 40
Thanked 95 Times in 76 Posts
Rep Power: 2440
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbhw2 View Post
I purchased my 2014 Jeep GC six months ago and was very pleased with my purchase. I purchased it for my wife to use when she had to do errands with my newborn son. Flash forward 6 months, my wife calls me and tells me that car is driving erratically and will not go in reverse. I told her to call our tow service and have it towed to the dealership. Mind you the car has less than 4,000 miles on it. I was very upset since the whole reason I purchased a new car was for peace of mind. My wife and baby had to wait 2 hours at the supermarket for her sister to pick them up and take them home.
That same day, three hours went by with no phone call informing us the Jeep had arrived at the dealership. We decided to call and found out the car was there. The service person then told us that it was late in the day, around 3pm and that the Jeep would not be looked at until the following day. We then asked about a rental car for use during the time the Jeep was in service. We were given a Chrysler 200 as a rental with a $50 deposit. The car was much smaller, but I figured it would do. He then informed us the transmission might need to be replaced. This came as surprise to me since I have never in 10+ new car purchases had a new car require a transmission replacement at less than 4,000 miles.
On the third day, there was no update call from the dealership. At 5pm on the fourth day the service person left me message saying to call him back and that he would be in until 6pm. I didn't listen to the message until 6:30 so there was no communication on the fourth day.
Come today, I got to speak to the service person at Central Florida Chrysler Dodge Jeep. He told me the Jeep definitely needed a transmission replacement since there was metal when took a look at the transmission pan, and as per Chrysler guidelines that would require a complete replacement. I then asked when the work would be completed, he said the transmission were not readily available and would be in by Friday of next week. I then asked if the would provide a rental for the duration of repair to which he replied "we only cover 5 days". I told him it was not my fault they sold me a faulty product and they didn't have parts readily available to fix it. Having a transmission replace this early on is a pretty big deal as is, but to not cover a rental on a new car purchase for a manufacturing defect, we'll that's not standing by your product and it's horrible customer service.
He proceeded to give me the corporate customer service number at my request and told me the rental extension was out of his hands. I called the number and the lady on the phone said she would do her best to get the rental extended, but would not be able to see if it is approved until Monday.
Needless to say, I am not happy with the overall ownership experience with Jeep. I wish they would have issued a recall since it is a pretty well known issue with the 6 cylinder models' 8 speed transmission. Had they issued one, my transmission might have been able to be fixed before it needed to be replaced. The service person told me they were getting 60+ transmissions from the manufacturer in order to handle all the issues in this region.
I have heard about all of the software issues with the 6 cylinder 8spd but are you saying the dealer is telling you that there are rampant failures of it now requiring entire transmission replacement?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2014, 09:12 AM
sanjuro77's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 1996 4.0L ZJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 221
Thanks: 3
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 769
sanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond reputesanjuro77 has a reputation beyond repute
This is why I never ever buy brand new vehicles.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2014, 12:39 PM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 390
Thanks: 8
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 2046
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

I don't think I've seen anything that says internal failures of the 6-cyl 8-speed transmission are "a pretty well known issue".. where did this info come from?
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L !!
And a few past Durangos
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 40
Thanked 95 Times in 76 Posts
Rep Power: 2440
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomk View Post
I don't think I've seen anything that says internal failures of the 6-cyl 8-speed transmission are "a pretty well known issue".. where did this info come from?
End of the first post up there. First I heard of replacements also
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2014, 01:41 PM
1st jeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 332
Thanks: 52
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 885
1st jeep is on a distinguished road
Nope. I had issues also. Dealer and Chrysler are well aware of the non software related Transmission issues. Had to even wait for parts. Truck was down for 8 days.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2014, 01:53 PM
silvermax04's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,264
Thanks: 40
Thanked 95 Times in 76 Posts
Rep Power: 2440
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st jeep View Post
Nope. I had issues also. Dealer and Chrysler are well aware of the non software related Transmission issues. Had to even wait for parts. Truck was down for 8 days.
just curious do you know what the failure point is? gears, solenoids, seals ? just wondered?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:37 PM
1st jeep's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 332
Thanks: 52
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 885
1st jeep is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post

just curious do you know what the failure point is? gears, solenoids, seals ? just wondered?
No, i really don't. Sorry.
I had a bunch of CEL codes and dealer didnt really know what to do. It was Chrysler who stepped in to help and provide guidance. My symptoms were the exact same as above but also included slamming into 1-2 and 2-1. Other than that it perfect.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:41 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,395
Thanks: 341
Thanked 368 Times in 319 Posts
Rep Power: 1801976
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

There were a couple of posts where a couple of parts weren't mating properly causing a leak. Although it looked like a replacement part would fix it, Chrysler wanted the old transmissions back.

This is a good thing as the only way to nip something in the bud is for the engineers to take a real close look. I'm going to guess that not every part in the transmission come from the same company, or even the same country ... hopefully the same planet. They need to know where the problem is originating, and it is best not to get the information from multiple dealers around the country.

I'd say this is at least the right step in the 'quality control' direction folks are clamoring for.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:00 PM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 390
Thanks: 8
Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 2046
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

Huh. My dealer has sold close to a hundred 2014 V6 GCs, and hasn't yet done a single transmission replacement... lots of shift-quality reflashes, but none have grenaded.. wonder if there is some common thread in the ones that have apparently failed that for some reason these vehicles don't sahre..
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L !!
And a few past Durangos
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2014, 05:47 PM
JeepGCOverland's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 1,010
Thanks: 170
Thanked 61 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 2001
JeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond reputeJeepGCOverland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Faulty Transmission

My engine was replaced and I got a rental (a 2014 JGC Limited) that was completely covered by Chrysler over the two week period my Jeep was in the shop. It sounds like you are just dealing with bad people.
__________________

__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland- Granite/Beige, 5.7L HEMI V8, Quadra-Drive II, Advanced Technology Group

Pictures- http://www.jeepgarage.org/f110/2014-...ite-61813.html
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2014, grand cherokee, jeep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 jeep grand cherokee transmission talexanderson Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 10 12-31-2013 02:21 PM
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland Transmission problems Eagleone Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 14 10-08-2013 05:44 PM
TRANSMISSION OVER TEMP Jeep Grand Cherokee SJeep Troubleshooting/Problems 12 06-23-2013 09:13 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by Chrysler Group LLC.