Need help with Front Rotor size - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Technical Discussion > Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 442
dcaicedo91 is on a distinguished road
Need help with Front Rotor size

Hey everyone,

I need help finding the correct front rotor size for my 11" grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I first got the part numbers from centric and ended up buying 350mm vented front rotors. Today when I went to the shop they told me the front rotors were too big and that I need the 330mm front rotors. Problem is that centric doesn't sell vented 330mm front rotors, just solid 330mm. I was told that the OEM front rotors are vented and rear are solid. The rear rotors I got were installed just fine. Can someone please clear up if the solid 330 front rotors will work or will I need them to be vented? Thanks.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Keysplayr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 796
Keysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

I think they need to be vented. Fronts get much hotter than the rears and vents help keep em cooler. My 15 Laredo has vented front and solid rear. Call the dealer for the correct part number for your year and model.
__________________
-Anthony
'15 Laredo Custom
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2015, 06:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 442
dcaicedo91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysplayr View Post
I think they need to be vented. Fronts get much hotter than the rears and vents help keep em cooler. My 15 Laredo has vented front and solid rear. Call the dealer for the correct part number for your year and model.

Thank you, that's what I figured. I will have to return them then. Do you by any chance know what size your front rotors are?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2015, 07:35 PM
xJoshxx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington,KY
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 122
Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 74073
xJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaicedo91 View Post
Hey everyone,

I need help finding the correct front rotor size for my 11" grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. I first got the part numbers from centric and ended up buying 350mm vented front rotors. Today when I went to the shop they told me the front rotors were too big and that I need the 330mm front rotors. Problem is that centric doesn't sell vented 330mm front rotors, just solid 330mm. I was told that the OEM front rotors are vented and rear are solid. The rear rotors I got were installed just fine. Can someone please clear up if the solid 330 front rotors will work or will I need them to be vented? Thanks.
first do you have the 5.7 or the 3.6?

all the 2011's to present have same brakes.

Jeep's come with 3 sizes 330's 350's 380's<--SRT only

So. 3.6 normally comes with 330mm rotors all over.

5.7's get 350's all round

and srt's get 380 front's 6 piston calipers and 350 rears with 4 piston calipers.

there are companies that make front vented.

Power Stop 1-Click Brake Kits | Power Stop

these are like $180 for two rotors and set of pads High performance rotors and pads.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 442
dcaicedo91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
first do you have the 5.7 or the 3.6?

all the 2011's to present have same brakes.

Jeep's come with 3 sizes 330's 350's 380's<--SRT only

So. 3.6 normally comes with 330mm rotors all over.

5.7's get 350's all round

and srt's get 380 front's 6 piston calipers and 350 rears with 4 piston calipers.

there are companies that make front vented.

Power Stop 1-Click Brake Kits | Power Stop

these are like $180 for two rotors and set of pads High performance rotors and pads.

It's the 3.6. Thanks for all the info. Do you know if I have to get vented 330s or will solid 330s work in the front? The reason I ask is because I ordered all centric parts on Amazon. Centric doesn't have a vented 330 front rotor, just solid. The auto shop were able to install the rear centric rotors and brake pads. If possible I would like for everything to be the same brand but if not I'm ok with using a different brand if the front rotors have to be vented, or should be vented.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2015, 07:57 PM
xJoshxx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington,KY
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 122
Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 74073
xJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaicedo91 View Post
It's the 3.6. Thanks for all the info. Do you know if I have to get vented 330s or will solid 330s work in the front? The reason I ask is because I ordered all centric parts on Amazon. Centric doesn't have a vented 330 front rotor, just solid. The auto shop were able to install the rear centric rotors and brake pads. If possible I would like for everything to be the same brand but if not I'm ok with using a different brand if the front rotors have to be vented, or should be vented.
do you tow or heavy on the brakes?

Centric is basic brakes but they make alot of other companies brakes

I don't think i've ever seen non vented. fronts.

do you have pics of them?
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2015, 08:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 442
dcaicedo91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
do you tow or heavy on the brakes?



Centric is basic brakes but they make alot of other companies brakes



I don't think i've ever seen non vented. fronts.



do you have pics of them?

I bought vented 350s for the front and the mechanic told me they didn't fit. So I'm planning on returning them. I don't tow but I'm heavy on the brakes so I guess vented 330s will have to do then. Only problem is that centric doesn't sell vented 330s so I'll check out the ones on the link you gave me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2015, 08:05 PM
xJoshxx's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Burlington,KY
Posts: 1,425
Thanks: 122
Thanked 149 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 74073
xJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond reputexJoshxx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaicedo91 View Post
I bought vented 350s for the front and the mechanic told me they didn't fit. So I'm planning on returning them. I don't tow but I'm heavy on the brakes so I guess vented 330s will have to do then. Only problem is that centric doesn't sell vented 330s so I'll check out the ones on the link you gave me.
yeah unless you want to upgrade your front calipers to use the 350's.

Power stop makes some good brakes imho.
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Keysplayr's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 115
Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 796
Keysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond reputeKeysplayr has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcaicedo91 View Post
Thank you, that's what I figured. I will have to return them then. Do you by any chance know what size your front rotors are?
Autozone lists front rotors for my 15 laredo as 330mm. It says 350 will not fit my vehicle.
I think this is because the Laredo's come with 17" wheels as standard and won't fit 350mm with the caliper to fit.
I have since put on 18" mopar rugged wheels so I wonder if I could actually fit the 350mm with calipers now.
__________________
-Anthony
'15 Laredo Custom
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2015, 10:32 PM
champagneinhand's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Upstate Western NY State
Posts: 233
Thanks: 29
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1337
champagneinhand is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by xJoshxx View Post
first do you have the 5.7 or the 3.6?

all the 2011's to present have same brakes.

Jeep's come with 3 sizes 330's 350's 380's<--SRT only

So. 3.6 normally comes with 330mm rotors all over.

5.7's get 350's all round

and srt's get 380 front's 6 piston calipers and 350 rears with 4 piston calipers.

there are companies that make front vented.

Power Stop 1-Click Brake Kits | Power Stop

these are like $180 for two rotors and set of pads High performance rotors and pads.

I bought these for the front but the originals were almost as beefy vented rotors. The power stop are drilled and slotted as well as being vented. The ceramic, carbon fiber pads work great as long as you break them in properly. I have the V6 limited with no extra towing package.

Don't buy the power stop rea rotors and pads as the rear calipers are too small to get over the width issue. However you can still use the ceramic pads of the vented Chrysler rotors. The pads were barely used at 50K miles. I think they only engage to keep you stabilized and in emergency ABS situations. 90+% of all stopping power is in your front brakes. I think it's a good investment in slotted and drilled front vented rotors. In motorcycles they have been a savior too many times.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 442
dcaicedo91 is on a distinguished road
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Quote:
Originally Posted by champagneinhand View Post
I bought these for the front but the originals were almost as beefy vented rotors. The power stop are drilled and slotted as well as being vented. The ceramic, carbon fiber pads work great as long as you break them in properly. I have the V6 limited with no extra towing package.

Don't buy the power stop rea rotors and pads as the rear calipers are too small to get over the width issue. However you can still use the ceramic pads of the vented Chrysler rotors. The pads were barely used at 50K miles. I think they only engage to keep you stabilized and in emergency ABS situations. 90+% of all stopping power is in your front brakes. I think it's a good investment in slotted and drilled front vented rotors. In motorcycles they have been a savior too many times.

I'm planning on buying the front power stop rotors but already have the centric ceramic posi-quiet brake pads. Would this combination work?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-04-2015, 02:38 PM
champagneinhand's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 3.2L KL
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Upstate Western NY State
Posts: 233
Thanks: 29
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 1337
champagneinhand is on a distinguished road
Garage
Re: Need help with Front Rotor size

Yes the ceramic pads should do just fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Me Find The Best Rotor/Pad Combo For The $ lll2for3lll Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 3 12-02-2012 09:12 PM
Front brake rotor size enzo808 Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 2 09-30-2012 06:12 AM
Help Please: Rear Rotor Won't Budge Ypahihi Troubleshooting/Problems 9 02-28-2012 08:09 PM
my front brake rotor removal technique, in vid attilahooper Grand Cherokee - WK 6 10-22-2010 01:35 PM
D/S rotor sound? Relwarc Performance Modifications 11 04-09-2010 11:24 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.