Originally Posted by tnadanzig
I am not sure what can be done to keep it from downshifting except setting up a custom dyno tune to allow it to stay in fourth gear. Manually selecting the gear only works so well.
Not a lot out there, but I am working on more stuff. Once my son starts sleeping better at night, I should be able to get back out in the shop and finish up some more projects. Put a good tune with dpf delete, intercooler upgrade, turbo resonator delete will get you in the low 14s in the quarter mile. Put the turbo diesel2fast4u has put on with the mods mentioned earlier and you should be able to get into high 13s with proper fueling. After that its much more work, dual fuelers, bigger turbo, or compound setup. No one even makes head studs for this engine, so until I get time to get some H11 studs made you really can't put to much boost into this engine without lifting the heads.
Well, things I have found out about our Gearbox :
1. since it's mercedes, there are AMG parts available so it can be build to handle 1000 NM, the finns with their diesel wagon benz driftcar also use the gearbox
2. I bought a stand alone controller for the gearbox but I didn't have the time to plug out the connector to check if the engine even would run and I have no idea how many warnings will come up at the dash
With this controller you can drive full manual mode.
3. Do a search for AMG speedshift, this is a torque converter with full lockup from gear 2, it uses friction plates and is used for example in the SLR and other AMG cars
4. It must be possible to tune the transmissions ECU but I don't even now where it's located
5. There are some other solenoids (blue color from SLR) that raise the tranny line pressure
Things I found out about the engine :
1. The intake manifold is very bad, to go into higher numbers then I have, this has to be looked into (also swirl etc has to go)
2. The fuel pump would have to be upgraded if you want to go over 330HP, to for example a CP3 from a 400CDI but that is not plug & play, but its big enough for 450HP
3. The injectors, being bosch piŽzo can handle easy 85+ HP per cilinder, they are very big, but they don't like the higher rail pressure (I had one failure)
4. To get over 300 HP we need a different rail pressure sender (limited at 1600 bar would love to find a plug & play 2000 bar)
5. We need a 4 bar map sensor, we have 3 bar. I can only make 1.8 bar of boost because of this if we go any higher on standard Map sensor we get cutouts because of peek boost sometimes. You can put whatever turbo you want, mine is ok for 350HP but as you cannot exceed the map values the ECU cut's out fuel. I would leave the 2260 and compound it with a HX40 or something (there is room enough)
6. I have been punishing mine now for 70.000 km, this means hauling my raceboat several times on trips for more than 2000 km @ 120km/h + on cruise control, sometimes pulling more then 3500kg, driving it for longtime at 200km/h on cruise control and doing alot of full throttle red lights starts and I didn't have one failure (exept for a leaking injector)
So I think that the engine could be a 400HP dialy driver.
7. You need DPF & cat & EGR delete, It took me a long time but I found al the maps in the EDC16
Things I found out about the car.
1.The brakes are shit, you need brembo srt8 upgrade if you want to drive it hard.
2. Same thing for the stock suspension, I did full SRT8 swap
3. at 200km/h you already have 4000 rpm, I got 220 out of mine, I would love some longer gears
4. it's build to last, I have 225.000 km on mine and it feels like 50.000
5. now this is gona upset people
As long if you don't messure air intake temp before and after the intercooler, why do an upgrade to a bigger cooler? up untill now the standard cooler works just fine for me, same goes for the intake, the stock system flows enough air untill now.