Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Modifications & Enhancements > Detailing

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 10-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Red PeeKay's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Anywhere where work ain't
Posts: 394
Thanks: 5
Thanked 66 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 1758
Red PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond repute
Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Okay, well and truly confused. Have a new WK14 GC in white. Have been told to apply a paint sealant then wax. However before I do so I should clay the car as it already has contaminants on it. Trick I was told is to get a plastic sandwich bag, put my hand in it and run it over the surface of the car. If it feels smooth, then paint job is pretty clean. If however it feels gritty, then need to clay it. Of course if feels gritty!

So, my local detailer reckons claybars are so 90's and I should use a clay pad or cloth. Have looked at the nanoskin range (they offer coarse to fine grade cloths) and seem to get great reviews. However tough to get down here in Oz without shipping from OS at cost. Can get a fine grade cloth here for around $40. Have been told to really break the cloth in, do the windows of the car, then the windows of my other car and then the house! Then soak it in hot water to soften the surface. Apply heaps of lubricant and no downward pressure on the car. Essentially give it a light wipe.

I don't have a polishing machine and am not that serious. Would like to get the grit off, then seal and wax. Will the cloth be the better option given it's reusable and faster. Don't want to mar or scratch the car. Or is claybarring still the way to go. The local cloth I'm looking at is: CarPro Polyshave Decon / Prep Towel

Thanks for your help.

__________________
"My life is so much better,
than your best vacation"

2014 White Laredo CRD
ECB Bullbar
Full Underbody Armour (inc. Chief Bash Plate)
Towing kit
Tinting
BFG All Terrain T/A's
Precision LED's
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,001
Thanks: 73
Thanked 277 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 46298
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red PeeKay View Post
Okay, well and truly confused. Have a new WK14 GC in white. Have been told to apply a paint sealant then wax. However before I do so I should clay the car as it already has contaminants on it. Trick I was told is to get a plastic sandwich bag, put my hand in it and run it over the surface of the car. If it feels smooth, then paint job is pretty clean. If however it feels gritty, then need to clay it. Of course if feels gritty!

So, my local detailer reckons claybars are so 90's and I should use a clay pad or cloth. Have looked at the nanoskin range (they offer coarse to fine grade cloths) and seem to get great reviews. However tough to get down here in Oz without shipping from OS at cost. Can get a fine grade cloth here for around $40. Have been told to really break the cloth in, do the windows of the car, then the windows of my other car and then the house! Then soak it in hot water to soften the surface. Apply heaps of lubricant and no downward pressure on the car. Essentially give it a light wipe.

I don't have a polishing machine and am not that serious. Would like to get the grit off, then seal and wax. Will the cloth be the better option given it's reusable and faster. Don't want to mar or scratch the car. Or is claybarring still the way to go. The local cloth I'm looking at is: CarPro Polyshave Decon / Prep Towel

Thanks for your help.
Clay bars may be so 90's, but they still work and tend to be cheaper than the alternatives.

Buy two, in case you drop one.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2014, 10:05 AM
BuckeyeSRT's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Home of the Buckeyes
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 37
Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 103702
BuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

I have only used clay bar so no experience with the pad but, what I have read is that they tend to leave very minor scratches. That is usually not a concern for many detailers because the next step would be correction and that would remove the scratches left by the pad.
That has been enough for me to not try them and stick with the clay bar and great lube.
__________________
2012 BB Overland Summit
Like my company on Facebook ...please
https://www.facebook.com/TheSimmondsGroup
Twitter @simmondsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Northland's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 589
Thanks: 20
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Rep Power: 2546
Northland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond reputeNorthland has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Agree with above that clay bar is all you need. I use Zaino clay bars; they're the best I've found - but any high-quality clay produced for auto detailing will be fine as well (e.g.; Mother's). The key is lubricating the surface - in a pint spray bottle full of water I'll add less than a capful of Zaino car wash & mix it up. Then I spray this on about a 2' x 2' section of the painted car surface to the point the mixture is running a little in all directions before using the clay bar. (Wash the car first before claying it.) Apply gentle pressure on the clay bar; you'll quickly figure out how much is enough. You'll feel it picking up contaminants out of the paint, and if you lubricate and go over the same section again you'll feel the difference. Be sure to continually massage the clay bar to always present a new surface of clay to the car. This method has worked great for me. I also second the suggestion to throw away the clay if you should drop it on the ground - it will definitely pick up contaminants which will then scratch the finish if you use it afterwards. After claying, wash the car again with plain water, dry it, then apply polish, wax, or sealant of your choice.
__________________
Current owner of a 2016 Ram 1500 Laramie; former owner of a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Lifetime member of Jeep Garage!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-18-2014, 12:45 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
mtsl500 is on a distinguished road
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
Clay bars may be so 90's, but they still work and tend to be cheaper than the alternatives.

Buy two, in case you drop one.
they do just work and tend to be more pliable for the hard to reach spots if you're OCD about getting every nook and cranny

also whether you can afford two or not, I always have followed the recommendation of cutting the bar up into quarters and using a quarter at a time flattened out. Makes that eventual drop a lot less painful ... plus you just accelerated your "acquisition" of clay for the windshields and wheels
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 PM
tomk's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Amherst, MA
Posts: 751
Thanks: 15
Thanked 88 Times in 74 Posts
Rep Power: 1566031
tomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond reputetomk has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Almost all professional detailers are not focused on getting the optimum finish on your vehicle.

They are focused on doing a job that most customers will be delighted with, while controlling labor, material, and callback costs.


So, what "professional detailers" recommend is not necessarily what the shadetree detailer would want to use.

Just MHO.

...tom
__________________
2007 WK Limited 5.7L
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
And a few past Durangos
de W1PF
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-26-2014, 02:41 PM
Sherif's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: United Arab Emirates
Posts: 193
Thanks: 13
Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 1391
Sherif is on a distinguished road
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Mitt (fine grade) 2 days ago and I'm really impressed, IMO it's worth the price..
It's easy to use and you can hear and feel it removing contaminates effectively and fast, its relatively big size helps doing the job faster but it's flexible enough to work in small areas. No marring on my granite crystal color.
I'm not a pro and I've never used clay bars, I tried Optimum Eraser once and didn't like it..

Go ahead and properly clean it first (2 bucket wash, iron-x, clay, pre-wax cleaner polish) then put a durable sealant or even a coating for maximum protection and easy cleaning..
I don't have a polisher and I do everything by hand, of course it takes more time and effort so I'm always looking for products that help saving some time and effort just like the Nanoskin Mitt, coatings, spray sealant/waxes..

Here's my JGC (it's DD non-garaged 24/7) just detailed 2 days ago:
- 2b wash.
- Nanoskin mitt.
- 2 coats Blackfire crystal seal on paint and wheels (coated with Opti-Coat 2.0 7 months ago).
- Opti-Glass clean and protect glass cleaner on all glass (coated with Opti-Glass Coating 8 months ago).
- Zaino Z-16 tire gel on tires (coated with Tuff Shine Tire Coating 7 months ago).
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1414348777.197453.jpg
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1414348807.028372.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2014 JGC Overland V8 / Mopar Running Boards / Mopar 18" Off-road Wheels / JL Stealthbox / Hybrid Audio Speakers / Husky Weatherbeater Liners / Mopar Cargo Tray
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: I-O-W-A
Posts: 108
Thanks: 20
Thanked 34 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 1701
GRIM_REAPER_76IA is on a distinguished road
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherif View Post
I used the Nanoskin Autoscrub Mitt (fine grade) 2 days ago and I'm really impressed, IMO it's worth the price..
It's easy to use and you can hear and feel it removing contaminates effectively and fast, its relatively big size helps doing the job faster but it's flexible enough to work in small areas. No marring on my granite crystal color.
I'm not a pro and I've never used clay bars, I tried Optimum Eraser once and didn't like it..

Go ahead and properly clean it first (2 bucket wash, iron-x, clay, pre-wax cleaner polish) then put a durable sealant or even a coating for maximum protection and easy cleaning..
I don't have a polisher and I do everything by hand, of course it takes more time and effort so I'm always looking for products that help saving some time and effort just like the Nanoskin Mitt, coatings, spray sealant/waxes..

Here's my JGC (it's DD non-garaged 24/7) just detailed 2 days ago:
- 2b wash.
- Nanoskin mitt.
- 2 coats Blackfire crystal seal on paint and wheels (coated with Opti-Coat 2.0 7 months ago).
- Opti-Glass clean and protect glass cleaner on all glass (coated with Opti-Glass Coating 8 months ago).
- Zaino Z-16 tire gel on tires (coated with Tuff Shine Tire Coating 7 months ago).
Attachment 47997
Attachment 47998


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Thanks for the information about the autoscrub mitt I was going to order some of their products to try but I really wanted to hear about someones real world use. I will be placing an order now!! Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2014, 01:34 AM
Red PeeKay's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Anywhere where work ain't
Posts: 394
Thanks: 5
Thanked 66 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 1758
Red PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Thanks Sherif. Will order a mitt when I'm stateside in Dec, the postage to Oz is a killer. Can get it sent to an address in Washington State and will pick up. So will clay bar the car in the mean time.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
"My life is so much better,
than your best vacation"

2014 White Laredo CRD
ECB Bullbar
Full Underbody Armour (inc. Chief Bash Plate)
Towing kit
Tinting
BFG All Terrain T/A's
Precision LED's
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM
BuckeyeSRT's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Home of the Buckeyes
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 37
Thanked 47 Times in 35 Posts
Rep Power: 103702
BuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond reputeBuckeyeSRT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red PeeKay View Post
Thanks Sherif. Will order a mitt when I'm stateside in Dec, the postage to Oz is a killer. Can get it sent to an address in Washington State and will pick up. So will clay bar the car in the mean time.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Lots and lots of lube
__________________
2012 BB Overland Summit
Like my company on Facebook ...please
https://www.facebook.com/TheSimmondsGroup
Twitter @simmondsgroup
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-27-2014, 07:34 AM
Red PeeKay's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Anywhere where work ain't
Posts: 394
Thanks: 5
Thanked 66 Times in 58 Posts
Rep Power: 1758
Red PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond reputeRed PeeKay has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeSRT View Post
Lots and lots of lube

Have a gallon of the stuff. Will wait until I get the car back from the panel beaters to give it a once over.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
"My life is so much better,
than your best vacation"

2014 White Laredo CRD
ECB Bullbar
Full Underbody Armour (inc. Chief Bash Plate)
Towing kit
Tinting
BFG All Terrain T/A's
Precision LED's
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
kansas51's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Kansas
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 809
kansas51 is on a distinguished road
Re: Clay bar vs Clay cloth vs Clay pad

Wash car with dawn soap to get all the wax off car. Get Meguiars clay kit from wally world (it has two clay bars, plenty of quick detailer spray) and follow steps on clay bar box. I then wash my car again, dry it and then wax. Takes me about a full day to do it right, but it is worth it to get all the junk out of the clear coat. An easier way to do it is to have your kid do it for 50 or so bucks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fresh wash, clay bar, detail and debadged StatensDevilDog53 Members Rides 9 11-08-2011 12:46 PM
Clay bar and wax - (Pix) Sammzway Members Rides-Showoff 24 06-02-2011 01:33 PM
Is POLISHING after using a clay bar necessary? JDubya Detailing 20 04-19-2010 10:29 AM
Would clay bar solve this issue? mjl2610 Detailing 24 03-18-2010 12:48 PM
October Specials DI Clay Bar and Foamaster II Foam Gun PLUS Menzerna Give Away DetailedImage.com Detailed Image 17 10-30-2009 04:22 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.