So my bud Tj, better known on Instagram as Tj.srt8, came to me for help with his SRT8. He had a few things he wanted done and I know the platform really well, so I had no problem helping him out. His Jeep is a beast done right already, but he had me install a 1.3" H&R drop, Bwoody swya bar end links, Bwoody panhard bar, Energy Suspension bump stops, and one last surprise.
I checked everything for hardware the day before and all was supplied along with two extra spouts for the serviceable parts from Bwoody. I really loved the color he chose and the paint was nicely done.
For reference, here are some before shots and you'll see his Jeep next to mine!
You can see my previous pretty nasty trans oil spill in this one...
I started off with the driver side front, I knew that was the biggest bitch. The fuse boxes and fuse box retainer are all in the way of the strut mount bolts and getting to the UCA bolts was a huge problem working on my own. I ended up using vice grips to hold the UCA bolts to act as a second pair of hands as I also did not want to lean on the Jeep's paint trying to hold the nut on one side and spin the bolt on the other. With the UCA out, sway bar disconnected, and the strut bolts disconnected, I was able to drop the LCA enough to compress and remove the OEM coil spring without removing the entire strut assembly. I was really happy with this because I didn't have to remove the clevis bolt in the LCA which is almost always seized in there. Then I just used a few layers of masking tape when compressing the new coils to protect the finish. It was smooth sailing from there!
Next was the passenger side front. With his Bwoody CAI, the UCA bolts were extremely easy to access and the only thing in the way of the strut mount bolts was the antifreeze reservoir. I probably spent half of the time on this side that I did the last.
The new springs were about the same size as expected, but had three dead coils on the top. They were painted nicely and had a really nice finish.
The new end links were almost twice as beefy as the OEM ones and make the old ones look silly.
I used Royal Purple's synthetic grease to grease all the serviceable parts.
The rear was nothing compared to the front. I just had to drop the axle, disconnect the old sway bar end links, and the old coils just popped right out. Same goes for the rear, it had four dead coils at the top.
Not much needs to be said here...
Needless to say, he needed new bump stops pretty badly. The new ones were pretty neat, they eliminated the old mounting unit that would cause the bump stop to sit about two inches down towards the axle and yet the new bump stop was about two inches longer than stock, so there is a lot more cushion.
And another comparison...
And here is everything together.
Last was the track bar which was noticeably lighter than stock.
And that was it! It took me about six hours to do it all, luckily I didn't run into any problems. The outcome is great and I have before measurements, just waiting until the springs settle for him to take the after measurements.
And one more picture next to mine!
One last thing. The day after, I was on Craigslist actually trying to see the price ranges for SRT8s and I found a deal that was too good to pass up, for a SRT8 owner...
And the deal, a Sarona carbon Fiber hood for $500. The Jeep ended up great and I'm glad Tj is happy with the way it came out.