2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread - Page 268 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #3205  
Old 11-11-2015, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 12
Thanks: 9
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 521
Lawmankgk is on a distinguished road
Disregard figured it out

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3206  
Old 11-12-2015, 10:00 AM
gotbru's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 22
Thanks: 6
Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 541
gotbru is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaskin View Post
My tire guy said we'd barely notice a difference between the 255 vs. 285 Duratrac, but they definitely appear wider and meatier in pics here on the forum. Ideally I'd love the better specs of the 285 Duratracs with OEM Rubi rims, but not sure how to get this look and no spacers without voiding warranty. That's what made me think the 2" Mopar lift would do the trick.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The lift only effects the height and allows you to fit a taller tire. It has nothing to do with the width of the tire. That is controlled by wheel backspacing. Since most taller tires are also wider, you also need to change the backspacing. This can be done with a wheel spacer or new wheels with the proper backspacing. Stock wheel backspacing is ~6.25". Most lifts that say they will fit a 35" (315/70/R17) tire require a minimum backspacing of ~4.5". Without the proper backspacing, wider tires can hit the control arms and/or other components. It's not so much the tires hitting the flares as it is hitting more functional parts of the Jeep. Here is another thread about spacers...

Are Hub Centric Bolt On Wheel Spacers Safe? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

The stock wheel width is also a factor. They are 7.5" wide. Pay attention to the tire width requirements. Most tire shops will not put a wider tire on a rim that is not the approved width (although it is done all the time). You would need to find a tire shop that would be willing to do so.
Reply With Quote
  #3207  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Peoria AZ
Posts: 54
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1051
Rocjeepn is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447351657.520978.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3208  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:20 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2002 2.5L KJ
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Libramont, Belgium
Posts: 26
Thanks: 7
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1007
Phcn is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

From MOPAR Magazine (facebook)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7145050&type=3
Reply With Quote
  #3209  
Old 11-12-2015, 01:39 PM
WaltA's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,403
Thanks: 38
Thanked 288 Times in 224 Posts
Rep Power: 2435
WaltA has a reputation beyond reputeWaltA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocjeepn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phcn View Post
Surprise, surprise.

Who would have guessed that Jeep was going to surprise us at next week's Los Angeles auto show, with a totally unexpected special edition called Backcountry!
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
Reply With Quote
  #3210  
Old 11-12-2015, 02:30 PM
jlaskin's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 324
Thanks: 170
Thanked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 2183
jlaskin is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbru View Post
The lift only effects the height and allows you to fit a taller tire. It has nothing to do with the width of the tire. That is controlled by wheel backspacing. Since most taller tires are also wider, you also need to change the backspacing. This can be done with a wheel spacer or new wheels with the proper backspacing. Stock wheel backspacing is ~6.25". Most lifts that say they will fit a 35" (315/70/R17) tire require a minimum backspacing of ~4.5". Without the proper backspacing, wider tires can hit the control arms and/or other components. It's not so much the tires hitting the flares as it is hitting more functional parts of the Jeep. Here is another thread about spacers...

Are Hub Centric Bolt On Wheel Spacers Safe? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

The stock wheel width is also a factor. They are 7.5" wide. Pay attention to the tire width requirements. Most tire shops will not put a wider tire on a rim that is not the approved width (although it is done all the time). You would need to find a tire shop that would be willing to do so.

Is 1.5" Spidertax spacer the right size for keeping the stock Rubi rims with 285 or 315 Duratracs? Someone wrote that 1.25" keeps the tire from sticking out from under the fenders, not sure what's most common. Thanks again for clarifying the importance of the width when fitting these tires. I've already asked one reliable local tire installer and he immediately shunned against the spacer addons. There's always the stock 255 Duratracs that are now available, but they seem fairly thin compared to what many post here in the forum. Looking for road worthy sizing without compromising the occasional trail. Is a 2 inch lift plenty for the 285's or 315's? Also debating between the 2 and 3" Mopar lift further down the line. So many options available to dress up our new Jeep!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3211  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2004 4.0L TJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Colorado
Posts: 198
Thanks: 31
Thanked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Rep Power: 1138
CO_04_RUBI is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaskin View Post
Is 1.5" Spidertax spacer the right size for keeping the stock Rubi rims with 285 or 315 Duratracs? Someone wrote that 1.25" keeps the tire from sticking out from under the fenders, not sure what's most common. Thanks again for clarifying the importance of the width when fitting these tires. I've already asked one reliable local tire installer and he immediately shunned against the spacer addons. There's always the stock 255 Duratracs that are now available, but they seem fairly thin compared to what many post here in the forum. Looking for road worthy sizing without compromising the occasional trail. Is a 2 inch lift plenty for the 285's or 315's? Also debating between the 2 and 3" Mopar lift further down the line. So many options available to dress up our new Jeep!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
I wouldn't be worried about spacer issues if you get a good quality one that won't break/fall apart on you (and keep it torqued so it can't move to enable those things). We've had 1.5" spacers on our 2004 Rubicon for years now and I have no complaints.

And earlier somebody said a lift doesn't help with wider tires, but a suspension lift does. It lifts the frame up a bit so when the tire turns it would hit a little higher on the tire (if it still hits) and give you a bit more clearance. Unfortunately, for pertinence to this specific situation, we don't plan on a lift on our 2016 for a few years to let the kids get taller first and we won't get wider tires until we wear out these, so I can't say much about wheels, backspacing, spacers, lifts, etc to help you out.
__________________
1999 K1500 Suburban
2004 TJR Wrangler - 2" OME Suspension lift, 1" body lift, Teraflex belly up, 33x12.5", Warn XD9000i winch, Bushwacker 6" flat flares, Teraflex rear lower control arms, RockHard Rear bumper/carrier, Olympic front bumper/rock rails, Wet Okole seat covers
2006 PBM M6 GTO - headers back exhaust, CAI, Koni struts, Lovells Springs
2010 Odyssey
2016 Wrangler Unlimited Hard Rock Rubicon - Warn Zeon Platinum 10-S, Mopar half doors (in addition to the factory full doors), Trek Armor Bartact seat covers /console cover
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CO_04_RUBI For This Useful Post:
  #3212  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Peoria AZ
Posts: 54
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1051
Rocjeepn is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447360397.778588.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447360413.442470.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1447360423.140448.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3213  
Old 11-12-2015, 03:48 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 277
Thanks: 87
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1085
Holly JR is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocjeepn View Post

Thanks!!

Funny how the decal is red, but the little Jeeps on the rims are white.

Still is my favorite color!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3214  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Peoria AZ
Posts: 54
Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1051
Rocjeepn is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly JR View Post
Thanks!!

Funny how the decal is red, but the little Jeeps on the rims are white.

Still is my favorite color!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

No problem. Jeeps on the wheels are actually silver though.
Reply With Quote
  #3215  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM
Pcbeachbum's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: FL Panhandle
Posts: 92
Thanks: 12
Thanked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2064
Pcbeachbum is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaskin View Post
Is 1.5" Spidertax spacer the right size for keeping the stock Rubi rims with 285 or 315 Duratracs? Someone wrote that 1.25" keeps the tire from sticking out from under the fenders, not sure what's most common. Thanks again for clarifying the importance of the width when fitting these tires. I've already asked one reliable local tire installer and he immediately shunned against the spacer addons. There's always the stock 255 Duratracs that are now available, but they seem fairly thin compared to what many post here in the forum. Looking for road worthy sizing without compromising the occasional trail. Is a 2 inch lift plenty for the 285's or 315's? Also debating between the 2 and 3" Mopar lift further down the line. So many options available to dress up our new Jeep!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

Keep it quick and lean as possible before we get told to take it to another thread.

Is a properly backspaced wheel preferred over spacers, yes. However people have been running quality spacers for a long time with no issue. Just do your research and you'll find the brands that everyone recommends.

Tire sizes
285's(33s) can be run on a stock suspension, might get some rub, less on a Rubi more on a sport(all about the springs).

315's(35's) most will tell you 2.5in minimum, I even think the Mopar 2in says it will fit up to 34's in the literature but then they went and put 35's on the Red Rock concept with the 2in Mopar lift so it would likely be fine.

With 315's you also get in to possibly needing to trim air dam, pinch seams, and rock rails.

Also this is all based on stock fenders, go flat fenders and quite a bit of that changes.

Waste an evening on the internet looking at pics and reading feedback from other owners and the in the end throw all that out and just go with your gut.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pcbeachbum For This Useful Post:
  #3216  
Old 11-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 277
Thanks: 87
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1085
Holly JR is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocjeepn View Post
No problem. Jeeps on the wheels are actually silver though.

Silver is even better! Thanks again for the pics/info!


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wrangler

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.