2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread - Page 328 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #3925  
Old 01-11-2016, 09:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 599
terraformer is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Anvil and Xtreme Purple ???
I believe the question was "during the production run", to which the answer is none officially as everything remains order able (I just ordered my 23R this weekend). But they probably pumped out enough black, white, red and blue in the preceding months to not have to run those colors for a few weeks or longer.

Based on the number of colors they seem to have open at any given time, my guesstimation is they have 4 spray lines going at any given time. Obviously there are people here who know for sure how many there are, but having a smallish number of spray lines would more than explain the color stupidity that FCA engages in with the wranglers.

ETA: I don't think I added any clarity to the original question asked so let me add a little more of my thinking. Basically what I took the original question to mean is that the person was asking "what colors had to stop being run in order to make room for spraying Rhino and Sand". It's a reasonable question given the delays in implementing colors but in assembly line economics, it's not an entirely accurate question. The answer is based on costs (in lost productivity and labor) to reset a spray line from one color to another. So the longer they can run a single color, the less overall costs they incur to reset a spray line over the year. There may be a fixed maximum time for a spray line can run a particular color before it needs to be reset anyhow, but if they are running three shifts, that fixed maximum time may be days or weeks, not hours.

Again, there are people here who know for sure what they do. I am just speculating based on past experience in similar assembly line management.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3926  
Old 01-11-2016, 10:02 AM
WaltA's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,476
Thanks: 49
Thanked 336 Times in 253 Posts
Rep Power: 2549
WaltA has a reputation beyond reputeWaltA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
I believe the question was "during the production run", to which the answer is none officially as everything remains order able (I just ordered my 23R this weekend). But they probably pumped out enough black, white, red and blue in the preceding months to not have to run those colors for a few weeks or longer.
I didn't read anything even like "during the production run" in nads' question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
Based on the number of colors they seem to have open at any given time, my guesstimation is they have 4 spray lines going at any given time. Obviously there are people here who know for sure how many there are, but having a smallish number of spray lines would more than explain the color stupidity that FCA engages in with the wranglers.
I believe we already established, a long while ago, that Toledo can only have nine colors active at any one time. This is why when they want to add a new color (like Rhino), they need to retire another (like Anvil).

IMHO, that isn't all that stupid of a strategy for FCA, except for the procrastinator who waits way too long before placing their order for their must-have color.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
Reply With Quote
  #3927  
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 20
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1077
willieracinesjeep is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Sarge Green is now open for ordering
Reply With Quote
  #3928  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 277
Thanks: 87
Thanked 26 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 1126
Holly JR is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Didn't they discontinue Tank too?


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3929  
Old 01-11-2016, 11:42 AM
SeaJay's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Thanks: 89
Thanked 243 Times in 174 Posts
Rep Power: 1633
SeaJay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraformer View Post
There may be a fixed maximum time for a spray line can run a particular color before it needs to be reset anyhow, but if they are running three shifts, that fixed maximum time may be days or weeks, not hours.
Last I knew Toledo is running two 10hr shifts? Archer?.. the paint area was beefed up to three shifts as this was a bottleneck at the plant. Interesting article here, granted it's a few years old but it shows how FCA is constantly thinking about maxing out and streamlining production. It doesn't sound to me like stupidity (as you put it) is involved in the assembly lines... but as far as color selection, available options, special edition ordering windows, etc... hmmmm.
http://m.toledoblade.com/Automotive/...roduction.html
Reply With Quote
  #3930  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 36
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 599
terraformer is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Last I knew Toledo is running two 10hr shifts? Archer?.. the paint area was beefed up to three shifts as this was a bottleneck at the plant. Interesting article here, granted it's a few years old but it shows how FCA is constantly thinking about maxing out and streamlining production. It doesn't sound to me like stupidity (as you put it) is involved in the assembly lines... but as far as color selection, available options, special edition ordering windows, etc... hmmmm.
Toledo Blade
Yeah, I didn't mean the economics were stupid, just how they handle it (ie; they don't allow one to order a jeep and then have to wait, they make you wait to order...).

Anyhow, those are interesting numbers and in line with what I was assuming. At 44 units output an hour, assuming double the paint lines than assembly lines (ie; 4 paint line feeding 2 assembly line), that means 6 minutes to spray one body. Assuming it takes one hour to bake and cool a body. I am assuming they don't bake them for very long and cooling is artificially sped up too. Also that 6 minutes is a long stop on the line (hence needing to go wide at paint, stagger the starts, and then shrink it back to two after paint). This allows paint to effectively be a 3 minute stop (ie; two assembly lines can be fed with 4 staggered paint lines).

It all makes sense from a cost perspective. If they have to take down a line for even 1 hour to reset it, that's 22 units lost productivity plus labor costs. My assumptions were inline with WaltA's statement of no more than 9 colors per month (which I hadn't heard before, but I am a newbie here). At 4 spray lines, that's half a month, or two weeks per color.

Anyhow, if I was to build a line for manufacturing Jeeps, that's what the logic would look like. I ran lines in a furniture factory in a former life but it's all the same.
Reply With Quote
  #3931  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 283
Thanks: 6
Thanked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Rep Power: 774
sportcoupe is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by willieracinesjeep View Post
Sarge Green is now open for ordering
Through the dealer system? How about Mojave Sand?
Reply With Quote
  #3932  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:23 PM
SeaJay's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 786
Thanks: 89
Thanked 243 Times in 174 Posts
Rep Power: 1633
SeaJay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by terraformer View Post

Yeah, I didn't mean the economics were stupid, just how they handle it (ie; they don't allow one to order a jeep and then have to wait, they make you wait to order...).
Owe you an apology Terra... yup, you were referring to the ordering process with "stupidity" not the manufacturing process. Sorry about that.
Interesting to think about when the whole paint procedure is broken down the way you just did... it might also explain why some have issues with "thin" paint in areas, unpainted spots, over spray, etc. Very interesting. Speeding up the manufacturing process is nice for the companies bottom line but unfortunately, sometimes it comes at the consumers expense.
Reply With Quote
  #3933  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:43 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 658
porters is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

So the 75th anniversary site mentions several greens, "Jungle Green, Recon Green, and Sarge Green." So what green is this? It does not seem to be Sarge Green. So is this Recon Green or Jungle Green?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarge.jpg (80.5 KB, 35 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3934  
Old 01-11-2016, 12:49 PM
WaltA's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,476
Thanks: 49
Thanked 336 Times in 253 Posts
Rep Power: 2549
WaltA has a reputation beyond reputeWaltA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by porters View Post
So the 75th anniversary site mentions several greens, "Jungle Green, Recon Green, and Sarge Green." So what green is this? It does not seem to be Sarge Green. So is this Recon Green or Jungle Green?
Its Sarge green.

Recon and Jungle are used on other Jeep model's 75th editions.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
Reply With Quote
  #3935  
Old 01-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 26
Thanks: 2
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 658
porters is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
Its Sarge green.

Recon and Jungle are used on other Jeep model's 75th editions.
OK, that helps. So is this also Sarge Green? Or is this Jungle or Recon green? It's the pic posted by Milous. I was confused as they look like different colors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sarge 2.jpg (106.6 KB, 32 views)
Reply With Quote
  #3936  
Old 01-11-2016, 01:13 PM
SilverBillet's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 2
Thanked 457 Times in 312 Posts
Rep Power: 32650
SilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond reputeSilverBillet has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by porters View Post
OK, that helps. So is this also Sarge Green? Or is this Jungle or Recon green? It's the pic posted by Milous. I was confused as they look like different colors.
Only Sarge green is available on the Wrangler.
Recon is available on Grand Cherokee.

The picture from Milous is a obviously not the true color.
Pictures and info are all over this thread.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wrangler

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.