2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread - Page 334 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #3997  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 13
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 1022
Hadoken is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Edited - disregard, I missed a page.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #3998  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 242
Thanks: 22
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 886
weldingbob2 is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but is it possible to get Air Conditioning in a bare bones 2dr JK sport? I don't really want all of the extra stuff the Sport S comes with, but when stopped at a light I don't think I can handle no A/C...
Yes, you can build it on Jeeps website
Reply With Quote
  #3999  
Old 01-14-2016, 08:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 242
Thanks: 22
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 886
weldingbob2 is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

I have a question, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. My son is going to order a base JK in the spring when hyper green becomes available. He is going to buy some 17 inch take offs from Craigslist. How much will this affect the speedometer and is that something that can easily be adjusted?
Reply With Quote
  #4000  
Old 01-14-2016, 09:03 AM
Koch's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 268
Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1057
Koch has a reputation beyond reputeKoch has a reputation beyond reputeKoch has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingbob2 View Post
I have a question, not sure if this is the right thread but here goes. My son is going to order a base JK in the spring when hyper green becomes available. He is going to buy some 17 inch take offs from Craigslist. How much will this affect the speedometer and is that something that can easily be adjusted?
The base Sport tires are 225/75R16, which is a little over 29" in diameter.
Depending on which model your son gets his take-offs from, they range from 245/70R17 (30.5") on the new 75th Anniversary Edition to 255/75R17 (32") of the stock Sport S, Willys, or Rubicon.

Let's use 255/75R17 for comparison since they're the most available.
It's about a 3" difference between the base Sport diameter and most Wrangler take-offs. That makes for a 9.5% difference in diameter or rolling circumference. Most tire places, and advice on the Net, will suggest a diameter departure of 3% or less to avoid issues.

This is a good website for calculating the differences between tires:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The two main issues with changing tire size without recalibrating your Jeep's computer to recognize them is having a speedometer that's reading fast (or slow) and your odometer will not reflect accurate mileage.

If you don't program new tire size, it can also mess with an automatic transmission's shift points. Not a problem with a manual gearbox, but if you get an auto, and the computer doesn't know bigger tires are installed, it can cause the shifting to get wonky.

Programming a Wrangler is a simple process if you're willing to pay an extra ~$160 for an AEV Procal or Superchips FlashCal. Or, you can ask your dealer to program the new tire size. Some will agree to do it as part of the sale, or charge a fee (I've heard as low as $50, and as high as what a programmer would cost you).
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Koch For This Useful Post:
  #4001  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 242
Thanks: 22
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 886
weldingbob2 is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Thanks for the answer, just didn't know if it was mechanically or a computer program. Without giving away my age years ago when I put a lift kit in my truck I just had to change out a plastic gear where the speedometer is screwed into the transmission old school. I figured it was new school computer stuff. I'm sure my dealer will do it for us for no charge as part of the deal. Thanks again
Reply With Quote
  #4002  
Old 01-14-2016, 11:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 94
Thanks: 63
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1187
geoffmarton is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingbob2 View Post
Thanks for the answer, just didn't know if it was mechanically or a computer program. Without giving away my age years ago when I put a lift kit in my truck I just had to change out a plastic gear where the speedometer is screwed into the transmission old school. I figured it was new school computer stuff. I'm sure my dealer will do it for us for no charge as part of the deal. Thanks again

It's not that long ago for Jeep either - the TJ (97-06) was a plastic gear change for the speedo.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #4003  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 154
Thanks: 24
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 1244
Milkdudd is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldingbob2 View Post
I just had to change out a plastic gear where the speedometer is screwed into the transmission
And replacing a fuel pump under the hood with a couple of wrenches. Singing: Memories.......
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Milkdudd For This Useful Post:
  #4004  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 242
Thanks: 22
Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Rep Power: 886
weldingbob2 is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffmarton View Post
It's not that long ago for Jeep either - the TJ (97-06) was a plastic gear change for the speedo.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
It was long ago for me, 40 years. LOL
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weldingbob2 For This Useful Post:
  #4005  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:39 PM
WaltA's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,577
Thanks: 64
Thanked 388 Times in 293 Posts
Rep Power: 2725
WaltA has a reputation beyond reputeWaltA has a reputation beyond reputeWaltA has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koch View Post
The base Sport tires are 225/75R16, which is a little over 29" in diameter.
Depending on which model your son gets his take-offs from, they range from 245/70R17 (30.5") on the new 75th Anniversary Edition to 255/75R17 (32") of the stock Sport S, Willys, or Rubicon.
My one concern is that I believe the sizes you mention, are the unmounted carcass sizes, not the mounted-inflated sizes, which can be different.
__________________
Current Jeep:
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon X
Previous Jeeps:
1987 Wrangler Laredo
1999 Cherokee Limited (Up Country,Trailer Tow)
Reply With Quote
  #4006  
Old 01-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Koch's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2016 JK
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 268
Thanks: 18
Thanked 74 Times in 59 Posts
Rep Power: 1057
Koch has a reputation beyond reputeKoch has a reputation beyond reputeKoch has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltA View Post
My one concern is that I believe the sizes you mention, are the unmounted carcass sizes, not the mounted-inflated sizes, which can be different.
Certainly. Always best to measure them mounted.
Reply With Quote
  #4007  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 518
Barney3575 is on a distinguished road
re: 2016 Wrangler JK Information Thread

Hi all, first post here. I ordered a Wrangler Unlimited (Sport S) last week in Sarge Green (PGG). I got an email from the dealer today that this color is exclusive to the 75th Anniversary edition.
I'm not looking to get that version (more $ and features I don't want).

Any ideas if this color will become available to the other Wrangler Unlimited models or will it stay forever an exclusive color?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #4008  
Old 01-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 66
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 1144
c-w3 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney3575 View Post
Hi all, first post here. I ordered a Wrangler Unlimited (Sport S) last week in Sarge Green (PGG). I got an email from the dealer today that this color is exclusive to the 75th Anniversary edition.
I'm not looking to get that version (more $ and features I don't want).

Any ideas if this color will become available to the other Wrangler Unlimited models or will it stay forever an exclusive color?

Thanks in advance.
That's the million dollar question.
Sometimes they carry over to all models, sometimes not.
The 70th anniversary Bronze Star color was exclusive and was never seen on another model, in the case of the 10th anniversary Rubicon Anvil was mass produced the next model year on all models. So who knows!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
wrangler

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.