Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Wrangler-YJ, TJ & JK

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Brand new < 500 miles and 1 week. Dealer said to wait until it gets worse. Use shoe polish if needed? Thinking of trying another dealer.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9muar5ktfj...84250.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/14y1e3u6ij...02410.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q11ck19er5...12025.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3cjziq0ec...93442.jpg?dl=0

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10611
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

There's nothing unusual in the ripples... that's just the character of the leather.

The peeling is not normal though. In that particular location it's as if something got dragged across the leather to make that happen. Brush it with your legs getting in and out of the vehicle?
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep







Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Problem is it is cracking right on the ripple. It started with a white dot and progessed. The last picture is from yesterday. Has gotten worse.

Just curious if I am being unrealistic expecting a dealer to correct the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:15 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,425
Thanks: 703
Thanked 982 Times in 776 Posts
Rep Power: 1805134
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Unless you are wearing a ring or rings that could cause this, I believe a new wheel is in order. Telling you to wait until it gets worse is absurd, and trying to hide the issue with shoe polish is total bs.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Unless you are wearing a ring or rings that could cause this, I believe a new wheel is in order. Telling you to wait until it gets worse is absurd, and trying to hide the issue with shoe polish is total bs.


---
Thank you. If it was caused by rings or something I was wearing I am assuming it would be on the part of the wheel I actually hold. Going tomorrow to another dealer after work to see what they say. Lucky I got a pic when it was just a few white dots.

Drive it less than 10 hours. I can understand repeated wear but this is too soon.

It is right on the ripple nowhere else.

Just curious what I tell them. Do I even mention what the other dealer said?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 AM
MDBones's Avatar
OVERLAND HIGH ALTITUDE
My Jeep: 2016 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Wisconsin's West Coast
Posts: 3,592
Thanks: 630
Thanked 613 Times in 503 Posts
Rep Power: 10611
MDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond reputeMDBones has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Unless you are wearing a ring or rings that could cause this, I believe a new wheel is in order. Telling you to wait until it gets worse is absurd, and trying to hide the issue with shoe polish is total bs.
That wear looks to be on the outside lower left quadrant of the steering wheel. If that's his normal grip area on the wheel and that was caused by ring wear I'd think the wear would be more towards the back or upper back of the wheel. If not then his wrist must be at a really uncomfortable angle.

That wear will only get worse in time and for the dealer to tell him to use shoe polish is a load of crap.
__________________
http://www.jeepgarage.org/members/54562-albums357-picture4289.png
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 AM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2017 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,425
Thanks: 703
Thanked 982 Times in 776 Posts
Rep Power: 1805134
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Tell them what you told us, without mentioning the other dealer. But, if they ask if you went somewhere else, don't deny it. The other dealer may have entered it in the computer.

If the second dealer doesn't help, get in touch with Jeep customer service. The longer it takes to get this on the record the more likely the are to claim normal wear and tear.

I had a lot of wrinkles that looked like they may eventually crack on an Acura. I took and printed pictures and brought them to the dealer. They time stamped the photos and put them in my file. The woman who helped me said that would make it possible for them to replace the seats if it became necessary, with no argument from Acura.

Of course having a dealer who is on the side of the customer helps.

Good luck!


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...
... pull over to the side of the road!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 PM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
Tell them what you told us, without mentioning the other dealer. But, if they ask if you went somewhere else, don't deny it. The other dealer may have entered it in the computer.

If the second dealer doesn't help, get in touch with Jeep customer service. The longer it takes to get this on the record the more likely the are to claim normal wear and tear.

I had a lot of wrinkles that looked like they may eventually crack on an Acura. I took and printed pictures and brought them to the dealer. They time stamped the photos and put them in my file. The woman who helped me said that would make it possible for them to replace the seats if it became necessary, with no argument from Acura.

Of course having a dealer who is on the side of the customer helps.

Good luck!


---
Thanks, think I have some evidence now that shows it was not me. THe upper part is starting to do the same and is much wider. It tapers into the skinny ripple where it is cracked. If you run your finger over that section it is like it is delaminated underneath.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150705_184852.jpg (511.0 KB, 47 views)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:59 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2013 JK
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: OKC
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1018
Lusus_Naturae is on a distinguished road
Re: Leather Steering Wheel Issue on Band New Jeep

I had the same issue, the dealer said to wait until it gets worse. I hate to say it, but it not only has gotten worse, but I started thinking and realized I really don't want the dealer touching it because that means that have to remove it and replace it - I'd probably end up with a clockspring issue or something else.

To get rid of the wrinkling you need to use a leather lotion. The wheel is covered in bonded leather, not a solid leather - bad move by Jeep to go cheap. Bonded leather is a thinner layer of leather with a preferred finish, bonded with glue to cheaper leather or product. My guess is they were aiming for a sleek, no glare wheel covering, and suede wouldn't wear well so they went with a matte finish using bonded leather. The glue used to bond the the top surface layer to the bottom is weak, leading to the wrinkling and separating.

Mine started do this on the bottom of the wheel where my legs would rub across it when I got in or out, the top wrinkled where my hands would rest the most. I work with leather sometimes so I decided to try something that works on garment leather sometimes. I used Lubridrem lotion, this one - https://www.lubriderm.com/products/i...-repair-lotion

I applied it thick on the wheel itself, and then wrapped it with rags. Letting it get warm is good for it at this stage, you can do this in the morning and it'll condition all day and be done in the evening. Unwrap it and wipe the excess off, to get the lotion out of the stitching you can take a wet toothbrush and gently work it out. I personally leave a little in there to keep dirt out of the stitches, dirt will wear on it worse.

On my wheel the wrinkling went away after this for about 4-5 months. It won't last forever though, and there's only so much you can do with bonded leather.

Honestly, try the lotion, at least it will help for a little bit, but plan on getting a steering wheel cover in the long term. I hate to say it, but my TJ had a better quality leather steering wheel than this new JKU. Of course, it was shiny in the sun, and hot to the touch at times, but it only got better with age because it was real leather. If you want a recommendation for a good cover, this one is worth investing in for the long term - Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB 72, 10A springs, Bushwacker flatties
Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-2015, 06:32 AM
SeaJay's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 745
Thanks: 89
Thanked 196 Times in 147 Posts
Rep Power: 1550
SeaJay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae View Post
I had the same issue, the dealer said to wait until it gets worse. I hate to say it, but it not only has gotten worse, but I started thinking and realized I really don't want the dealer touching it because that means that have to remove it and replace it - I'd probably end up with a clockspring issue or something else.

To get rid of the wrinkling you need to use a leather lotion. The wheel is covered in bonded leather, not a solid leather - bad move by Jeep to go cheap. Bonded leather is a thinner layer of leather with a preferred finish, bonded with glue to cheaper leather or product. My guess is they were aiming for a sleek, no glare wheel covering, and suede wouldn't wear well so they went with a matte finish using bonded leather. The glue used to bond the the top surface layer to the bottom is weak, leading to the wrinkling and separating.

Mine started do this on the bottom of the wheel where my legs would rub across it when I got in or out, the top wrinkled where my hands would rest the most. I work with leather sometimes so I decided to try something that works on garment leather sometimes. I used Lubridrem lotion, this one - https://www.lubriderm.com/products/i...-repair-lotion

I applied it thick on the wheel itself, and then wrapped it with rags. Letting it get warm is good for it at this stage, you can do this in the morning and it'll condition all day and be done in the evening. Unwrap it and wipe the excess off, to get the lotion out of the stitching you can take a wet toothbrush and gently work it out. I personally leave a little in there to keep dirt out of the stitches, dirt will wear on it worse.

On my wheel the wrinkling went away after this for about 4-5 months. It won't last forever though, and there's only so much you can do with bonded leather.

Honestly, try the lotion, at least it will help for a little bit, but plan on getting a steering wheel cover in the long term. I hate to say it, but my TJ had a better quality leather steering wheel than this new JKU. Of course, it was shiny in the sun, and hot to the touch at times, but it only got better with age because it was real leather. If you want a recommendation for a good cover, this one is worth investing in for the long term - Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor
Excellent post...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-17-2015, 07:33 AM
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 648
hydronaut is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae View Post
I had the same issue, the dealer said to wait until it gets worse. I hate to say it, but it not only has gotten worse, but I started thinking and realized I really don't want the dealer touching it because that means that have to remove it and replace it - I'd probably end up with a clockspring issue or something else.

To get rid of the wrinkling you need to use a leather lotion. The wheel is covered in bonded leather, not a solid leather - bad move by Jeep to go cheap. Bonded leather is a thinner layer of leather with a preferred finish, bonded with glue to cheaper leather or product. My guess is they were aiming for a sleek, no glare wheel covering, and suede wouldn't wear well so they went with a matte finish using bonded leather. The glue used to bond the the top surface layer to the bottom is weak, leading to the wrinkling and separating.

Mine started do this on the bottom of the wheel where my legs would rub across it when I got in or out, the top wrinkled where my hands would rest the most. I work with leather sometimes so I decided to try something that works on garment leather sometimes. I used Lubridrem lotion, this one - https://www.lubriderm.com/products/i...-repair-lotion

I applied it thick on the wheel itself, and then wrapped it with rags. Letting it get warm is good for it at this stage, you can do this in the morning and it'll condition all day and be done in the evening. Unwrap it and wipe the excess off, to get the lotion out of the stitching you can take a wet toothbrush and gently work it out. I personally leave a little in there to keep dirt out of the stitches, dirt will wear on it worse.

On my wheel the wrinkling went away after this for about 4-5 months. It won't last forever though, and there's only so much you can do with bonded leather.

Honestly, try the lotion, at least it will help for a little bit, but plan on getting a steering wheel cover in the long term. I hate to say it, but my TJ had a better quality leather steering wheel than this new JKU. Of course, it was shiny in the sun, and hot to the touch at times, but it only got better with age because it was real leather. If you want a recommendation for a good cover, this one is worth investing in for the long term - Leather Steering Wheel Covers Manufacturer and Distributor
Found another dealer who submitted the claim and had me a wheel on within 2 days. They will now be getting by business. Even followed up with a phone call to make sure I was happy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jeep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trams Band Adjustment Issue jrwpmw Troubleshooting/Problems 37 03-30-2015 04:53 PM
NEW black & blue leather w/blue stitching Grant steering wheel is ON! Scottina06 2011+ Dodge Durango-WD 7 05-16-2012 12:16 AM
Leather Steering wheel wear NHWK05 Detailing 22 06-21-2009 08:25 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.