14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end - Page 2 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #13  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 PM
kbench55's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: White City, SK, Canada
Posts: 516
Thanks: 97
Thanked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 3303
kbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

I use to think the same as you Bustanuddz. I had a 2012 and when the 2014 came out I did not like the grill treatment at all. I always though that the grill should be the same color as the rest of the jeep. Slowly it had grown on me and we ended up trading the 2012 on a 14. I am now at the point that I prefer the 2014 much more than the 2012.

If you look at the picture you posted of the 2012 it looks like the lights are big bug eyes and lower part of the facia looks like a wide open mouth, much like . In my eyes anyways.

To me it is also starting to look dated and looking at the 2014 it looks sleek and sinister at the same time.

You are right though, everyone sees something different when they look at things.

__________________
2014 Venom Black SRT Viper
2017 Diamond Black Grand Cherokee SRT
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #14  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:26 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanks: 9
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1438
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbench55 View Post
I use to think the same as you Bustanuddz. I had a 2012 and when the 2014 came out I did not like the grill treatment at all. I always though that the grill should be the same color as the rest of the jeep. Slowly it had grown on me and we ended up trading the 2012 on a 14. I am now at the point that I prefer the 2014 much more than the 2012.

If you look at the picture you posted of the 2012 it looks like the lights are big bug eyes and lower part of the facia looks like a wide open mouth, much like . In my eyes anyways.

To me it is also starting to look dated and looking at the 2014 it looks sleek and sinister at the same time.

You are right though, everyone sees something different when they look at things.
Okay something weird is happening as we speak. I was looking at YouTube videos of different SRT jeeps and I happened to come across a video that a dealership did of a black 2014. And something magical seems to be happening. I will still say that I am very much so dislike the 2014 front end in any other color but after watching this video I think I am on the same page as you guys now. This Jeep looks completely badass in black. The only issue that I have right now is that the Jeep that I was considering comes with those nasty Goliath wheels. Yuck! I really really do not like those wheels. I might also be the only person here that thinks that the 22 inch spider monkey wheels would look great on this beast with 305 tires. It's too bad that I called factory reproductions this morning and they said that they don't have any plans to make a 22 inch spider monkey wheel.
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 858
Thanks: 23
Thanked 97 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 3205
Snipe315 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Seeing dark colored 2014s made up my mind. They just look SO MUCH BETTER then the 2011-2013 models it isn't funny.

Love the LED Halo DRLs and at night they look even better!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #16  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:01 PM
kbench55's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: White City, SK, Canada
Posts: 516
Thanks: 97
Thanked 62 Times in 47 Posts
Rep Power: 3303
kbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond reputekbench55 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustanuddz View Post
Okay something weird is happening as we speak. I was looking at YouTube videos of different SRT jeeps and I happened to come across a video that a dealership did of a black 2014. And something magical seems to be happening. I will still say that I am very much so dislike the 2014 front end in any other color but after watching this video I think I am on the same page as you guys now. This Jeep looks completely badass in black. The only issue that I have right now is that the Jeep that I was considering comes with those nasty Goliath wheels. Yuck! I really really do not like those wheels. I might also be the only person here that thinks that the 22 inch spider monkey wheels would look great on this beast with 305 tires. It's too bad that I called factory reproductions this morning and they said that they don't have any plans to make a 22 inch spider monkey wheel.
Mine came with the Goliath wheels as wheel. I bought a set of factory black chrome spider monkeys from a member here and am now using the Goliaths as a winter wheel. Seeing you live in Chicago that might be an option for you. Also, by the sound of it you want to go with different wheels anyways, so save yourself the $900 wheel option price and get something you would like.
__________________
2014 Venom Black SRT Viper
2017 Diamond Black Grand Cherokee SRT
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanks: 9
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1438
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbench55 View Post

Mine came with the Goliath wheels as wheel. I bought a set of factory black chrome spider monkeys from a member here and am now using the Goliaths as a winter wheel. Seeing you live in Chicago that might be an option for you. Also, by the sound of it you want to go with different wheels anyways, so save yourself the $900 wheel option price and get something you would like.
I'm only looking at used s_r_t jeeps. Last vehicle that I will ever buy brand new is going to be the 1 that I will be trading in. 08 pontiac g8gt.

So I am kind of at the mercy of whatever the particular Jeep has on it already. Unfortunately the 14 that I am looking at does not have the factory tow hitch but it does have one that looks stupid mounted below the factory tow area. If I do get that one then I would immediately by the factory to hitch and have them put on and also order up some factory replicas .
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-14-2014, 05:06 PM
A-kon's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, Mexico
Posts: 718
Thanks: 157
Thanked 169 Times in 116 Posts
Rep Power: 24357
A-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond reputeA-kon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHue View Post
IMO the headlights on the 14 are much sleeker, modern, and nicer than 12/13 models.
Agreed, to sum it up and not so nice words, the 12-13 SRT looks like a $45k vehicle. The 14 looks like an $80k vehicle. A lot of non Jeep owning enthusiasts will verify this.

To the OP, funny about the black ones. I thought the complete opposite, it's the only color where I have trouble telling it's an SRT from far away, front or back.
__________________
Certified Elitist.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A-kon For This Useful Post:
  #19  
Old 05-15-2014, 01:46 AM
DarkHue's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 528
Thanks: 19
Thanked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Rep Power: 2303
DarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond reputeDarkHue has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
To the OP, funny about the black ones. I thought the complete opposite, it's the only color where I have trouble telling it's an SRT from far away, front or back.

Haha I agree with that too. I like the black trims and admire the color contrast available with other colors, it just emphasizes on the details imo.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Niva's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 62
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 1452
Niva is on a distinguished road
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Beware of being able to install a "factory" tow package. I'm not sure it's as simple as removing whatever the previous owner has done and putting in a new one. There are other discussions on this forum somewhere that hinted it's a bigger deal than that. My advice is to strongly consider waiting for one that has the package you need already installed.

Best of luck!

I like all SRT colors but I fell in love with the white and have never regretted it. The only other color I'd consider is the silver, but that's just my taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I def like the 14s better with their lights.
__________________
=========================================
White 2014 JEEP SRT Grand Cherokee - Moby Dik Junior
http://www.eternalseven.com/
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM
5.7summit's Avatar
Premium Member

My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Keller, Tx
Posts: 285
Thanks: 43
Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2221
5.7summit has a reputation beyond repute5.7summit has a reputation beyond repute5.7summit has a reputation beyond repute5.7summit has a reputation beyond repute5.7summit has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via AIM to 5.7summit Send a message via Yahoo to 5.7summit
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niva View Post
I like all SRT colors but I fell in love with the white and have never regretted it. The only other color I'd consider is the silver, but that's just my taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I def like the 14s better with their lights.
I traded up from a 2012 to a 2014 as well and never looked back. I have said this before but I'll say it again: the 8 speed transmission is worth anything and everything it costs -- one should do whatever is necessary to get into an 8 speed truck. Simply the best automatic transmission I have ever driven (and its 10x better with the newest TSB applied). It is so much better than the old 5 speed that if the body style was the same and the interior was the same I still would have traded up just for the transmission. I love that thing!!
__________________
2014 Grand Cherokee SRT 6.4 HEMI - Redline Pearl, Black Chrome Spiders, HK Audio (fun vehicle)
2006 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 5.7 HEMI - Dark Khaki Pearl, QDII with front & rear electronic locking differentials (DD & off roader)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanks: 9
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1438
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.7summit View Post
I traded up from a 2012 to a 2014 as well and never looked back. I have said this before but I'll say it again: the 8 speed transmission is worth anything and everything it costs -- one should do whatever is necessary to get into an 8 speed truck. Simply the best automatic transmission I have ever driven (and its 10x better with the newest TSB applied). It is so much better than the old 5 speed that if the body style was the same and the interior was the same I still would have traded up just for the transmission. I love that thing!!
Yeah, I have decided that the 8 speed is worth it. I really would love to be able to tow my RV and the Lights could be overlooked. So we are trading my G8GT in for my wife to get a new impala LTZ and I will be looking for a good deal on a used 14 with the tow package. I really dont care about the big radio at all. I Prefer to have a radio that can be removed and replaced with aftermarket stuff. Factory radios are no match IMO for the versatility of being able to swap for whatever you want.
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 229
Thanks: 9
Thanked 42 Times in 32 Posts
Rep Power: 1438
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Re: 14 vs 12/13 headlights/ front end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niva View Post
Beware of being able to install a "factory" tow package. I'm not sure it's as simple as removing whatever the previous owner has done and putting in a new one. There are other discussions on this forum somewhere that hinted it's a bigger deal than that. My advice is to strongly consider waiting for one that has the package you need already installed.

Best of luck!

I like all SRT colors but I fell in love with the white and have never regretted it. The only other color I'd consider is the silver, but that's just my taste. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I def like the 14s better with their lights.
I have heard about the PITA it is to add a hitch. Ill be looking for one with the hitch.
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
headlight

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can i use my factory grill if im swaping my front for the srt8 front end? davo787 New Members - Welcome! 0 01-17-2014 03:34 PM
Always Deal at the End of the Month and Better at the End of the Quarter! ColoradoJeep Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 05-02-2012 05:49 AM
Swap 05 GC Headlights for newest GC Headlights w/ Halo Projectors david.kwasnecha Grand Cherokee - WK 2 04-05-2010 02:28 PM
Are the aftermarket headlights quality headlights? jeepdizzle Grand Cherokee - WK 24 01-13-2010 04:54 PM

» Premium Vendor Showcase
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.