Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 12-21-2014, 02:14 PM
BigHemi2's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 51
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 11071
BigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

I took my 2012 SRT to my dealer last week for the annual state inspection, and he told me that there were five module software updates for my vehicle. I mentioned that I had done all the available recalls and technical service bulletins, but he pointed out that these five updates were NOT recalls or TSB's. They are NEW computer software updates that improve upon the originally installed factory software.

The updates are for engine management, transmission, suspension, braking and one other module (I'm not sure which one). I was skeptical that these updates would produce any noticeable improvements, but I was wrong. The engine now runs smoother and quieter, and has a more aggressive power curve. The 5 speed transmission now produces silky smooth shifts, with barely noticeable shift points. The suspension is less bumpy, and the braking seems to require less pedal pressure.

The acronyms for the five updates, which your dealer will hopefully recognize, are: PLGM, ABS, TCM, ADCM and ELSD.

The number of updates available for your vehicle will depend on the VIN. Also, if you have not exceeded the basic factory warranty of 36,000 miles, these updates should be free. If you are over 36,000 miles, your dealer might charge about $20 for each update.

My beast is a very early 2012 with 40,000 miles, so it was really worth this small investment. Good luck!

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigHemi2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-21-2014, 08:29 PM
Stealthv8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1362
Stealthv8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHemi2 View Post
I took my 2012 SRT to my dealer last week for the annual state inspection, and he told me that there were five module software updates for my vehicle. I mentioned that I had done all the available recalls and technical service bulletins, but he pointed out that these five updates were NOT recalls or TSB's. They are NEW computer software updates that improve upon the originally installed factory software.

The updates are for engine management, transmission, suspension, braking and one other module (I'm not sure which one). I was skeptical that these updates would produce any noticeable improvements, but I was wrong. The engine now runs smoother and quieter, and has a more aggressive power curve. The 5 speed transmission now produces silky smooth shifts, with barely noticeable shift points. The suspension is less bumpy, and the braking seems to require less pedal pressure.

The acronyms for the five updates, which your dealer will hopefully recognize, are: PLGM, ABS, TCM, ADCM and ELSD.

The number of updates available for your vehicle will depend on the VIN. Also, if you have not exceeded the basic factory warranty of 36,000 miles, these updates should be free. If you are over 36,000 miles, your dealer might charge about $20 for each update.

My beast is a very early 2012 with 40,000 miles, so it was really worth this small investment. Good luck!

This is very interesting lol so do they have this on file like a recall or is it word of mouth. Going to call tomorrow and ask about it if this is true haha


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-21-2014, 08:32 PM
SRTBLK's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 369
Thanks: 4
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 1615
SRTBLK is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

just took mine in for inspection last month and oil change friday.....no one mentioned anything to me.....they will be getting a call at 730AM tomorrow.....
__________________
2012 WK2 SRT8 Brilliant Black|Injen CAI|Borla S powdercoated|BT Bling|Debadge-ReBadged|5% Tint| Chrome Delete|Black Reflective Hitch Insert|TLS Rear Fog|6K LED Interior/Exterior Swap|Carbon Fiber Interior Kit|Brembo Cross Drilled Sport Rotors|RM Mid Drop
2005 WK1 5.7L Limited Brilliant Black
2005 WK1 Laredo Brilliant Black
2002 WJ Laredo Sport Bright Silver Metallic
1999 WJ Laredo Graphite Gray
1998 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
1997 ZJ Laredo Green
1993 ZJ Laredo Red
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-22-2014, 10:55 AM
BigHemi2's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 51
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 11071
BigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTBLK View Post
just took mine in for inspection last month and oil change friday.....no one mentioned anything to me.....they will be getting a call at 730AM tomorrow.....
My dealer did tell me about these updates, but from now on it does seem to be word of mouth. I guess it depends on the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM
SRTBLK's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 369
Thanks: 4
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 1615
SRTBLK is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

service advisor had no idea what i was talking about, told me to bring it in and have it looked at by a technician who can run diagnostics.....
__________________
2012 WK2 SRT8 Brilliant Black|Injen CAI|Borla S powdercoated|BT Bling|Debadge-ReBadged|5% Tint| Chrome Delete|Black Reflective Hitch Insert|TLS Rear Fog|6K LED Interior/Exterior Swap|Carbon Fiber Interior Kit|Brembo Cross Drilled Sport Rotors|RM Mid Drop
2005 WK1 5.7L Limited Brilliant Black
2005 WK1 Laredo Brilliant Black
2002 WJ Laredo Sport Bright Silver Metallic
1999 WJ Laredo Graphite Gray
1998 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
1997 ZJ Laredo Green
1993 ZJ Laredo Red
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-22-2014, 09:13 PM
Stealthv8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1362
Stealthv8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTBLK View Post
service advisor had no idea what i was talking about, told me to bring it in and have it looked at by a technician who can run diagnostics.....

At least you got that far I'm still waiting on my "call back"


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-24-2014, 08:45 AM
BigHemi2's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Central PA
Posts: 195
Thanks: 51
Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Rep Power: 11071
BigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond reputeBigHemi2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTBLK View Post
service advisor had no idea what i was talking about, told me to bring it in and have it looked at by a technician who can run diagnostics.....
I could see that you guys were struggling with your dealers, so this morning I called mine to see how and where he found these five updates. He said, and I quote, "The technician went to the vehicle's computer which shows flashes and updates available for the vehicle VIN".

By the way, the fifth update is for the rear lift gate module. The technician did this at his own initiative during my state inspection. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigHemi2 For This Useful Post:
  #8  
Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM
silvermax04's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3,458
Thanks: 270
Thanked 601 Times in 467 Posts
Rep Power: 30501
silvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond reputesilvermax04 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

I think getting updates like these are very dealer dependent. Some will just automatically do them when you are in and some wont do them unless you are having a problem even if you ask. My current dealer just does them my previous dealer it was a battle to get anything fixed. and that's why they are my previous dealer lol
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,069
Thanks: 74
Thanked 285 Times in 251 Posts
Rep Power: 46433
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermax04 View Post
I think getting updates like these are very dealer dependent. Some will just automatically do them when you are in and some wont do them unless you are having a problem even if you ask. My current dealer just does them my previous dealer it was a battle to get anything fixed. and that's why they are my previous dealer lol
Yeah, my seller/dealer always mentions that they have updates, and asks do I want to have them done while there, with roughly how long it would add to an express lane oil/filter change.

Unless it is bugging me even a tiny amount, my plan is to wait till the recall work is done.

"All I want for Christmas is my Recall Parts"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-24-2014, 10:12 PM
SRTBLK's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 369
Thanks: 4
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 1615
SRTBLK is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

had mine done and i have to say that there is a noticeable difference in transmission and braking, haven't noticed suspension yet but only drove it home. feels more powerful and smoother as previously posted. before the updates, 1st gear red lined at about 35mph, second gear 60mph, third gear 90 mph. now i can hit 40mph in first, 65 mph in second and 100mph in 3rd before redlining. each module was 40 dollars and worth it in my opinion. out the door for about $200. haven't had time to put in some timed runs but will report back when i do so to see if it truly is faster or not.
__________________
2012 WK2 SRT8 Brilliant Black|Injen CAI|Borla S powdercoated|BT Bling|Debadge-ReBadged|5% Tint| Chrome Delete|Black Reflective Hitch Insert|TLS Rear Fog|6K LED Interior/Exterior Swap|Carbon Fiber Interior Kit|Brembo Cross Drilled Sport Rotors|RM Mid Drop
2005 WK1 5.7L Limited Brilliant Black
2005 WK1 Laredo Brilliant Black
2002 WJ Laredo Sport Bright Silver Metallic
1999 WJ Laredo Graphite Gray
1998 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
1997 ZJ Laredo Green
1993 ZJ Laredo Red
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-25-2014, 06:50 AM
Stealthv8's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 124
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Rep Power: 1362
Stealthv8 is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTBLK View Post
had mine done and i have to say that there is a noticeable difference in transmission and braking, haven't noticed suspension yet but only drove it home. feels more powerful and smoother as previously posted. before the updates, 1st gear red lined at about 35mph, second gear 60mph, third gear 90 mph. now i can hit 40mph in first, 65 mph in second and 100mph in 3rd before redlining. each module was 40 dollars and worth it in my opinion. out the door for about $200. haven't had time to put in some timed runs but will report back when i do so to see if it truly is faster or not.

What did you say to your service advisor when you asked him about these updates. My ny dealership has no idea what I'm talking about. Gonna go there monday and see maybe if I can talk to a tech about this just don't know how to approach it



Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-25-2014, 01:22 PM
SRTBLK's Avatar
Premium Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 369
Thanks: 4
Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
Rep Power: 1615
SRTBLK is on a distinguished road
Re: Alert: Module Software Updates for 2012

Basically they said they didn't know about them and wouldn't have done anything unless I asked them to. Wish I was made aware of this before warranty ran out...five updates were power liftgate module, antilock braking system, transmission control module, active damping control module, and electronic limited slip differential....
__________________
2012 WK2 SRT8 Brilliant Black|Injen CAI|Borla S powdercoated|BT Bling|Debadge-ReBadged|5% Tint| Chrome Delete|Black Reflective Hitch Insert|TLS Rear Fog|6K LED Interior/Exterior Swap|Carbon Fiber Interior Kit|Brembo Cross Drilled Sport Rotors|RM Mid Drop
2005 WK1 5.7L Limited Brilliant Black
2005 WK1 Laredo Brilliant Black
2002 WJ Laredo Sport Bright Silver Metallic
1999 WJ Laredo Graphite Gray
1998 XJ Cherokee Sport Black
1997 ZJ Laredo Green
1993 ZJ Laredo Red
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2012, update

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Software updates, radio, trans Stevm65 Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 5 10-22-2013 11:54 AM
Software updates for suspension Yadkin Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 2 08-21-2013 03:21 PM
Just got my free 2013 Map and software updates 2.126 armoredsaint Audio/Visual/Navigation 132 06-10-2013 08:30 AM
Software Updates to the RHR ccarper Audio/Visual/Navigation 116 03-22-2013 06:29 PM
2011 WK2 "software updates" SEA_GC Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 6 01-13-2012 06:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.