Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 AM
DarkHue's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 659
DarkHue is on a distinguished road
Question Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

This may sound like a strange question but it's quite serious.

If I shifted to neutral but slipped into reverse while driving (due to transmission stick design), would I kill the transmission box ? Or is there a safety mechanism that stops the gear from going into reverse ?

I was slowing down to a stop the other day and slipped into reverse instead of neutral at around 10km/h, but the car slowed down to a full stop and reverse lights illuminated. This got me worried, what if I was travelling at 80km/h ?!! I don't want to test it (nor should anyone) but maybe an expert here already knows something about this ?
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-31-2014, 06:50 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Songwon, South Korea
Posts: 5,845
Thanks: 147
Thanked 254 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 12529
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHue View Post
This may sound like a strange question but it's quite serious.

If I shifted to neutral but slipped into reverse while driving (due to transmission stick design), would I kill the transmission box ? Or is there a safety mechanism that stops the gear from going into reverse ?

I was slowing down to a stop the other day and slipped into reverse instead of neutral at around 10km/h, but the car slowed down to a full stop and reverse lights illuminated. This got me worried, what if I was travelling at 80km/h ?!! I don't want to test it (nor should anyone) but maybe an expert here already knows something about this ?
There should be a reverse lock out to prevent this. Although in the electronically controlled transmissions today the shift modual prevents going into reverse until you stop. This would explain why the reverse light's didn't come on until then.
__________________

__________________
2008 JGC, Grey Stone Metallic SRT-6
MODS-http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/project-six-shooter-build-thread-68955.html
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-31-2014, 06:55 AM
DarkHue's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 659
DarkHue is on a distinguished road
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
There should be a reverse lock out to prevent this. Although in the electronically controlled transmissions today the shift modual prevents going into reverse until you stop. This would explain why the reverse light's didn't come on until then.
The gear stick actually tipped to the front and didn't lock, but I didn't really check if the gear changed to R before stopping. I would expect it to tip slightly to Neutral, but it went all the way to Reverse.

So If, for example, I was travelling at 80km/h and tip the gear stick forward, would it go to N then LOCK itself from tipping all the way to the front ? Or would it go forward all the way but display N as the current gear ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 AM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter
My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Songwon, South Korea
Posts: 5,845
Thanks: 147
Thanked 254 Times in 244 Posts
Rep Power: 12529
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHue View Post
The gear stick actually tipped to the front and didn't lock, but I didn't really check if the gear changed to R before stopping. I would expect it to tip slightly to Neutral, but it went all the way to Reverse.

So If, for example, I was travelling at 80km/h and tip the gear stick forward, would it go to N then LOCK itself from tipping all the way to the front ? Or would it go forward all the way but display N as the current gear ?
I would suspect that the software in the shift modual would prevent it from happening even if the stick did move. But to be honest I really couldnt answer that as I dont have the same transmission. But I do know in my 08 I have the same trans as the srt and it locks out reverse at speed. I can however go from reverse to drive while moving at a slow enough speed. It woild give a shudder but thats all it does. ( did it by accident)
__________________
2008 JGC, Grey Stone Metallic SRT-6
MODS-http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/project-six-shooter-build-thread-68955.html
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-31-2014, 07:15 AM
DarkHue's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 659
DarkHue is on a distinguished road
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongjeff View Post
I would suspect that the software in the shift modual would prevent it from happening even if the stick did move. But to be honest I really couldnt answer that as I dont have the same transmission. But I do know in my 08 I have the same trans as the srt and it locks out reverse at speed. I can however go from reverse to drive while moving at a slow enough speed. It woild give a shudder but thats all it does. ( did it by accident)
Appreciate your answer anyway
Yeah I want to avoid having any kind of shudders due to a mis-shift in the tranny !! I'm not sure how it behaves, as what happened to me was by accident as well.

Anyone with the new 8-speed transmission can shed some light on this topic ?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-31-2014, 10:23 AM
Schleprock's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2010 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: MD/DE
Posts: 953
Thanks: 19
Thanked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 2467
Schleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond reputeSchleprock has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

^^ Thinks DarkHue needs his own sticky thread to keep a rolling conversation of all his questions and worries.
__________________
RJ
2014 Redline Pearl Grand Cherokee SRT8

2014 Granite Crystal Durango R/T
2013 Grabber Blue Shelby GT500
(traded in) 2012 Mineral Gray Grand Cherokee SRT8, 2010 Bright Silver Grand Cherokee SRT8
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 PM
vvM1LESvv's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brisbane Australia
Posts: 175
Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 664
vvM1LESvv is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schleprock View Post
^^ Thinks DarkHue needs his own sticky thread to keep a rolling conversation of all his questions and worries.
DarkHues's Random Question Corner..
Tomorrow's random question, What is a motor and does my car need it too move? Or, Gas is getting expensive, is there any harm with filling my tank up with water instead, without voiding warranty of course?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-31-2014, 01:22 PM
bill_de's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,302
Thanks: 329
Thanked 358 Times in 312 Posts
Rep Power: 1801818
bill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond reputebill_de has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

According to the owners manual you can shift into reverse while stopped or going slow, as long as your foot is on the brake.

I didn't see anything about a high speed lockout.


---
__________________
If you need a shoulder to cry on ...

... pull over to the side of the road!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,378
Thanks: 875
Thanked 1,044 Times in 719 Posts
Rep Power: 7718293
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

please...if you don't have anything constructive to add...please don't add anything
__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottina06 For This Useful Post:
  #10  
Old 03-31-2014, 04:08 PM
DarkHue's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dubai
Posts: 395
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 659
DarkHue is on a distinguished road
Re: Does the gear stick stop you from going into reverse while moving ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_de View Post
According to the owners manual you can shift into reverse while stopped or going slow, as long as your foot is on the brake.

I didn't see anything about a high speed lockout.


---
Thanks for replying and providing that tip !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottina06 View Post
please...if you don't have anything constructive to add...please don't add anything
Thank you.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making dvd player play while vehicle is moving FUZZ866 Audio, Video, Navigation & Electronic Modifications 6 10-04-2012 12:50 PM
Tranny Shifts Hard Into Drive After Going In Reverse RamboTambo Grand Cherokee - WK 11 05-12-2011 03:13 PM
DVD while moving Keith Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 10 04-18-2011 11:36 AM
Noise while moving lyndelw Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service 7 11-19-2010 10:50 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community