Enough is enough - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 01-05-2017, 12:11 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
murpowa is on a distinguished road
Enough is enough

Simply need to vent.

Once proud owner of a 2012 WK2 SRT8. Purchased certified used with 5900 miles in early 2013. Fast forward 4 years, 45k miles and I am flat out disgusted with the QC of these rigs. Honestly, things in my opinion that simply should not happen on newer, 'premium' vehicles.

I've had the infamous carbon fiber interior pieces pull from the dash - repaired myself with epoxy when FCA dealerships played the finger pointing game

I've had the flaking OEM wheels - bought factory reproductions when repair on the factory wheels would have been $$$$

Corrosion on the front of hood - still there

More blindspot monitoring sensors go bad then I can remember

The list goes on. Recently, the rig started to develop a rough idle and eventually threw P0306. Went through a long list of test and checks but unfortunately I got the pleasure and experience of dealing with the piss-poor MDS lifter design failures first hand.

In all my years of car ownership, I've never had such a lack of confidence in the reliability of a vehicle as i do now. I once toyed with the idea of buying a trackhawk if/when it was released, however, at this point, I could not IMAGINE shelling out that kind of cash for a Jeep product. Frankly, my experiences have turned me off from FCA all together.

I know I am not alone with these matters and I don't need to reiterate how dealerships treat any of their customers let alone SRT owners, but enough is enough.

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to murpowa For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 01-05-2017, 12:57 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 68 Times in 43 Posts
Rep Power: 2974
mangoe has a reputation beyond reputemangoe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Enough is enough

The question is? if you had payed an extra $40 to $50k for a BMW X5M,X6M or MB GLE AMG Suv would everything you mention here on your 2012 WK2 SRT8 cost you an extra 40k or 50k,almost everything you mention here is under warranty and all these high performance SUV vehicles{including the imports} are evolving getting more refined and better 2017 SRT is more refined and better than 2012 SRT8, I understand it can be an irritant to have such minor hiccups with an expensive High performance Suv.
__________________
The HARDER you work.....the more the GIRLS will love you!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:14 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
murpowa is on a distinguished road
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoe View Post
The question is? if you had payed an extra $40 to $50k for a BMW X5M,X6M or MB GLE AMG Suv would everything you mention here on your 2012 WK2 SRT8 cost you an extra 40k or 50k,almost everything you mention here is under warranty and all these high performance SUV vehicles{including the imports} are evolving getting more refined and better 2017 SRT is more refined and better than 2012 SRT8, I understand it can be an irritant to have such minor hiccups with an expensive High performance Suv.
Mangoe, while I've had SOME luck with warranty work on things I've listed above, who in their right mind wants their 60-70k+ dollar car living at a shop? BMW, MB, Audi have their own issues, but seem to have their sh*t together a bit more than FCA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2014
EricWK is on a distinguished road
I just came from an 2007 Audi RS4 to my 2015 SRT. I bought the Audi 2 years ago. It had 60k miles and now has about 100k. Those cars cost around 85k new if fully optioned. In my 2 years of ownership, I was averaging 2k a month in maintenance. 20k in 2 years. Never again.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2017, 01:33 PM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
murpowa is on a distinguished road
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWK View Post
I just came from an 2007 Audi RS4 to my 2015 SRT. I bought the Audi 2 years ago. It had 60k miles and now has about 100k. Those cars cost around 85k new if fully optioned. In my 2 years of ownership, I was averaging 2k a month in maintenance. 20k in 2 years. Never again.
Maintenance or mandatory repairs? If maintenance, I call complete BS. Wife owns a 2014 S4 and it has been flawless.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Rep Power: 2014
EricWK is on a distinguished road
Re: Enough is enough

Maintenance.

The car never actually broke down on me a single time.

You're wife's car is too new to need much maintenance yet. Just wait...

The RS4 has the exact same size Brembo brakes as our SRT's. You want to know what it costs to do brakes on an RS4? $3,000 in parts alone. Rotors and pads.

The clutch was another $2000 in parts. Labor close to doubled that total cost.

Carbon cleans every 10k - 20k miles depending on how bad you want to let it get. $1,000 or 10 hours or so of your own time to perform. Look it up and see how bad it gets.

At least you're wife's car is newer. And at least the RS4 had better built chain guides. But the 4.2 on the B6 and B7 S4's had notoriously weak timing chain components. You were lucky if you made it 100,000 miles without a failure or impending failure. Cost to fix? $8,000 to $10,000 for the engine out service.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-06-2017, 06:07 AM
tyresmoker's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 314
Thanks: 4
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 30699
tyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpowa View Post
Simply need to vent.

Once proud owner of a 2012 WK2 SRT8. Purchased certified used with 5900 miles in early 2013. Fast forward 4 years, 45k miles and I am flat out disgusted with the QC of these rigs. Honestly, things in my opinion that simply should not happen on newer, 'premium' vehicles.

I've had the infamous carbon fiber interior pieces pull from the dash - repaired myself with epoxy when FCA dealerships played the finger pointing game

I've had the flaking OEM wheels - bought factory reproductions when repair on the factory wheels would have been $$$$

Corrosion on the front of hood - still there

More blindspot monitoring sensors go bad then I can remember

The list goes on. Recently, the rig started to develop a rough idle and eventually threw P0306. Went through a long list of test and checks but unfortunately I got the pleasure and experience of dealing with the piss-poor MDS lifter design failures first hand.

In all my years of car ownership, I've never had such a lack of confidence in the reliability of a vehicle as i do now. I once toyed with the idea of buying a trackhawk if/when it was released, however, at this point, I could not IMAGINE shelling out that kind of cash for a Jeep product. Frankly, my experiences have turned me off from FCA all together.

I know I am not alone with these matters and I don't need to reiterate how dealerships treat any of their customers let alone SRT owners, but enough is enough.
For starters, and I don't mean to start a s#it show here... You bought a used vehicle to begin with. Every, I mean every manufacturer makes mistakes. Case in point: I had two Escalades..a '15 and a '16. Due to serious quality issues, the '15 was bought back by Cadillac and marked accordingly. the '16, very early on, proved to be worse. the dealer did me a favor and bought it back. They then put it on their showroom floor as a 3000 mile CPO Escalade. I think it lasted a week. Buyer beware.
My '11 Hemi Summit never saw the shop. 70k miles in three years. It is what single-handedly brought me back to Jeep...(the shifter redesign sealed the deal)..
Over the years, I have owned just about every "perceived" high-line brand and have had issues with all of them. We are currently dealing with the absolute disgusting residual of my wifes BMW etc, etc...
End of the day, if you want zero issues, reasonable resale and pure boredom...go get yourself a Camry or Accord.
__________________
'17 SRT Billet Silver/Black Laguna/Roof/Radio/Hitch/Carbon black wheels/X-Force cat back pipes

2011 MG Summit 5.7 (Sold in '15)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 AM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,689
Thanks: 1,012
Thanked 306 Times in 257 Posts
Rep Power: 8875
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by murpowa View Post
Honestly, things in my opinion that simply should not happen on newer, 'premium' vehicles.
And that's your problem. Yours isn't newer. And a Jeep isn't a premium vehicle. It's a rental car Laredo with a bigger motor and some flashier finishing. The 2011s and 2012s were also known to be extremely questionable when it's comes to quality and reliability.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:47 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.0L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kerrville, TX
Posts: 700
Thanks: 94
Thanked 111 Times in 87 Posts
Rep Power: 2534
philbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond reputephilbytx has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Enough is enough

We had an Audi A4...AKA the car we hated to love!
Looked great, rode and handled great, comfortable interior. BUT.....
Sunroof failed (warranty, 2 attempts to fix), front suspension bushings failed (3 months out of warranty but a recall - Audi paid for parts, we paid over $800 labor!), both interior plastic C panel trims "exploded" (really, you wouldn't believe it and, of course, just out of warranty, we ended up paying and Audi couldn't understand why!), main info screen kept blanking out (this out of warranty and EXPENSIVE, so we decided to trade it in!) plus terrible gas mileage with the V6 motor (14mpg!) and they could never figure out why on that as well!

The Audi was SWMBO's 40th birthday present and the car she always wanted, we ordered it special for her. She was really gutted with the bad experiences we had with it (I was more pissed off about it!). We ended up trading it in for a Subie Forester LL Bean......which she ended up REALLY liking and is one of the most dependable cars we ever owned.
__________________
Phil C.
2014 GC Overland 4x4, 3.0CRD, ATG, ORAII ("Smiffy")
2015 Lance 1685 Travel Trailer "#4"
2011 Kia Optima EX-L ("MC"
2003 BMW R1150RT "Darth"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 98
Thanks: 10
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 1627
JEEP_JUNKIE is on a distinguished road
Re: Enough is enough

This is not a one off story from any brand. I work with high rollers that drive top end Benz, Bimmer and Volvo vehicles..... every single one has had similar problems. The only vehicles that seem to be right day one and stay that way for a full 200k miles are toyota's and Lexus.
__________________
2011 JGCO HEMI - 82000 miles as of 12/26/16

I love it but its not without problems: 2nd set of rear shocks, second water pump, heated seats issues, clicking noise when cold, QL issue, rim corrosion, broken power window
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:08 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 0
murpowa is on a distinguished road
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWK View Post
Maintenance.

The car never actually broke down on me a single time.

You're wife's car is too new to need much maintenance yet. Just wait...

The RS4 has the exact same size Brembo brakes as our SRT's. You want to know what it costs to do brakes on an RS4? $3,000 in parts alone. Rotors and pads.

The clutch was another $2000 in parts. Labor close to doubled that total cost.

Carbon cleans every 10k - 20k miles depending on how bad you want to let it get. $1,000 or 10 hours or so of your own time to perform. Look it up and see how bad it gets.

At least you're wife's car is newer. And at least the RS4 had better built chain guides. But the 4.2 on the B6 and B7 S4's had notoriously weak timing chain components. You were lucky if you made it 100,000 miles without a failure or impending failure. Cost to fix? $8,000 to $10,000 for the engine out service.
Sorry Eric, but we just aren't seeing eye to eye. 3k for brake parts? You can find two piece rotors from places like ESC for all four corners for 1100 bucks. Another 300 for pads. My brake change on the SRT (rotors and pads) cost me about a grand. 2,000 for a clutch? You can buy a full kit for 500-600 dollars.

In any case, I digress

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
And that's your problem. Yours isn't newer. And a Jeep isn't a premium vehicle. It's a rental car Laredo with a bigger motor and some flashier finishing. The 2011s and 2012s were also known to be extremely questionable when it's comes to quality and reliability.
I've read numerous post of this forum of other members that would disagree with you. Shame on me for thinking the SRT line was one of FCA's premium offering

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyresmoker View Post
For starters, and I don't mean to start a s#it show here... You bought a used vehicle to begin with. Every, I mean every manufacturer makes mistakes. Case in point: I had two Escalades..a '15 and a '16. Due to serious quality issues, the '15 was bought back by Cadillac and marked accordingly. the '16, very early on, proved to be worse. the dealer did me a favor and bought it back. They then put it on their showroom floor as a 3000 mile CPO Escalade. I think it lasted a week. Buyer beware.
My '11 Hemi Summit never saw the shop. 70k miles in three years. It is what single-handedly brought me back to Jeep...(the shifter redesign sealed the deal)..
Over the years, I have owned just about every "perceived" high-line brand and have had issues with all of them. We are currently dealing with the absolute disgusting residual of my wifes BMW etc, etc...
End of the day, if you want zero issues, reasonable resale and pure boredom...go get yourself a Camry or Accord.
Can't disagree with you Tyre, I did in fact buy a used vehicle and I agree, every manufacturer has its issues. The examples I provided in my original post have occurred to numerous individuals here, regardless of new/used. Why is the finish on the wheels complete sh*t? Why couldn't FCA spend an extra couple of cents to use a half way decent epoxy for the interior pieces? etc. We'll never know.

Again, just needed to vent my displeasure.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-06-2017, 08:32 AM
tyresmoker's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2017 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 314
Thanks: 4
Thanked 50 Times in 30 Posts
Rep Power: 30699
tyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond reputetyresmoker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Enough is enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlanding View Post
And that's your problem. Yours isn't newer. And a Jeep isn't a premium vehicle. It's a rental car Laredo with a bigger motor and some flashier finishing. The 2011s and 2012s were also known to be extremely questionable when it's comes to quality and reliability.
Really?
Ever own a "premium" vehicle?
I have...more than I can count..
Ever own an 11 or 12 GC? Again, I did. Never saw the shop.
Ever own an SRT? ...Once again, I do, you don't.
From your experience, can you tell me what is missing from my '17 GC SRT that a premium brand would deliver, because I am at a loss...
__________________
'17 SRT Billet Silver/Black Laguna/Roof/Radio/Hitch/Carbon black wheels/X-Force cat back pipes

2011 MG Summit 5.7 (Sold in '15)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.