Okay. We've been nervous about what the next generation Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 was going to cost, and our worst nightmares have been realized. I've been playing with some numbers this afternoon (being the nerd that I am), and there is SOME good news when it comes to money and the WK2 SRT8... improved MPG = SOME savings over the 1st generation SRT8s. Hear me out:
First of all, please keep in mind that all of my numbers are based on the current official government MPG rating assumptions so that we compare apples to apples; your numbers may vary based on usage / gas prices: Government assumptions include 45% highway driving, 55% city driving, 15000 annual miles, and premium gas @ $3.95 per gallon (source: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/
Keeping the above in mind, consider the following:
1. 2006-2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8:
a. 12 MPG combined rating
b. $4936 annual fuel bill
2. 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8:
a. 13 MPG combined rating
b. $4556 annual fuel bill
- $380 per year saved over 2006-2009 SRT8
3. 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with 5-speed automatic:
a. 14 MPG combined rating
b. $4230 annual fuel bill
- $326 per year savings over 2010 SRT8
- $706 per year saved over 2006-2009 SRT8
4. 2014+ Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with rumored 8-speed and estimated 15% MPG increase
a. 16 MPG combined rating
b. $3596 annual fuel bill
- $634 per year saved over 2012-2013 SRT8
- $960 per year saved over 2010 SRT8
- $1340 per year saved over 2006-2009 SRT8
So... using todays numbers for example, if you replaced your 2006-2009 SRT8 with a 2014 model with the rumored 8-speed automatic, you would save $8,040 in gas over the course of owning the car for 6 years compared with keeping your 1st generation SRT8.
Where am I going with this... I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though the price of the new model is simply outrageous, improved MPG's are at least one way that we'll be able to make up some of the over inflated price if this is a car that you simply HAVE TO have...
What does this mean for me personally? There's absolutely NO WAY I'm interested in getting one of these beasts at this price if it comes with a 5-speed.