Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1451
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

The kraut wagons are clearly ahead of the Jeep SRT in power, appointments, fit and finish...what else did I leave out?
Things aren't going to change guys. Chryco has already priced itself out of the serious performance SUV market with their mediocre, over priced 6.4 offering. Geez, the basic 2014 X5 5.0 is already faster touting a 4.3 0-60 and a 12.8 quarter @109 and it does this with 445 horses. No way the SRT even gets close to the newly awaited X5M or the new Cayenne TT or even an older M63 no matter if you're in the heat of Dallas or the bitter cold of North Dakota. The Jeeps are quick to about 30-40mph from the lower gearing, after that, the light pole to light pole race needs to be over because you are fixing to get walked on. I don't like it, but its all the truth. Hopefully Jeep will step up and get serious about actually competing, but its going to take a lot more than just more power to justify an astronomical price tag. The flagship of Jeep shouldn't come with crappy seats, plastic interior pieces that look to be from recycled keyboards, and a plethora of issues that are reoccurring since the launch of the '12 platform.
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:39 PM
CLStech's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 377
Thanked 159 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 1545499
CLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
The kraut wagons are clearly ahead of the Jeep SRT in power, appointments, fit and finish...what else did I leave out?
Things aren't going to change guys. The flagship of Jeep shouldn't come with crappy seats, plastic interior pieces that look to be from recycled keyboards, and a plethora of issues that are reoccurring since the launch of the '12 platform.
I disagree with your view on appointments, fit , finish, materials etc. I'm sure you are just trolling for an argument though
__________________

__________________
The Albino: 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee
Bright White - Black/Sepia - Black Chrome - Tow Package - High Performance Audio - Pano Roof
*Debadged | Black Reflective Hitch Insert | Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Billet Technology Catch Can & Accesories | Injen Intake | LED Interior Swap | LED Puddle/Entry Lighting | Lower Grill Badge | Tint | 6000K Headlights | 3000K Foglights | Eibach Lowering Springs | Headlight DRL Mod | RAX Jailbreak | Rear Fog Lights | Electronic Cutouts | BlackOps End Links*
Instagram: CLStech
Twitter: CLStech
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-12-2014, 01:52 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,380
Thanks: 31
Thanked 80 Times in 73 Posts
Rep Power: 43827
lstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond reputelstowell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
Not impressed at all with the 0-60. I know I know the hardcore racers hate internet warriors comparing 0-60, but let's face it. For the majority of us that's what matters. 0-60.That's what we're likely to use on the street. If I smoke someone at a stoplight on a side street I'm not going to run it up through the 1/4 mile. Way too dangerous, Usually I shut it down around 70. Yes 1/4 mile is very important but 0-60 still is the ultimate street benchmark for most of us.

Hellcat Jeep will be pulling it in the 3s year round.
0-30 is a better predictor of whether you'll smoke or get smoked across the intersection at a red light. Higher Hp may allow a badly beaten vehicle with to 60...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:37 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1451
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLStech View Post
I disagree with your view on appointments, fit , finish, materials etc. I'm sure you are just trolling for an argument though

Actually Im not trolling. Im just stating the facts from owning one. The interiors are passable for a normal Jeep offering, but not for the money the top of the line SRT costs. Some folks are in love with the Jeep badge, and Im smitten by it a little too as I have owned numerous Jeeps in the past 30 years. However, once the new wears off the SRT, its a glorified Grand Cherokee with a great sound system and good brakes that you paid way too much for. Its as simple as that. Many people are one and done with this last SRT platform. Most of them have figured out they are just one tier away from buying a superior German offering (even if its a year or so old) and how with that next step they gain true, leading SUV performance. The SRT is the bottom of the barrel now, unless of course you drag the little 6 cylinder BMW's and Merc's into the mix.

Why spend so much for almost?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
CLStech's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: RTP, NC
Posts: 1,089
Thanks: 377
Thanked 159 Times in 123 Posts
Rep Power: 1545499
CLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond reputeCLStech has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post

Actually Im not trolling. Im just stating the facts from owning one. The interiors are passable for a normal Jeep offering, but not for the money the top of the line SRT costs. Some folks are in love with the Jeep badge, and Im smitten by it a little too as I have owned numerous Jeeps in the past 30 years. However, once the new wears off the SRT, its a glorified Grand Cherokee with a great sound system and good brakes that you paid way too much for. Its as simple as that. Many people are one and done with this last SRT platform. Most of them have figured out they are just one tier away from buying a superior German offering (even if its a year or so old) and how with that next step they gain true, leading SUV performance. The SRT is the bottom of the barrel now, unless of course you drag the little 6 cylinder BMW's and Merc's into the mix.

Why spend so much for almost?
OK... Understand your view.
__________________
The Albino: 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee
Bright White - Black/Sepia - Black Chrome - Tow Package - High Performance Audio - Pano Roof
*Debadged | Black Reflective Hitch Insert | Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof | Billet Technology Catch Can & Accesories | Injen Intake | LED Interior Swap | LED Puddle/Entry Lighting | Lower Grill Badge | Tint | 6000K Headlights | 3000K Foglights | Eibach Lowering Springs | Headlight DRL Mod | RAX Jailbreak | Rear Fog Lights | Electronic Cutouts | BlackOps End Links*
Instagram: CLStech
Twitter: CLStech
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 653
Thanks: 10
Thanked 25 Times in 22 Posts
Rep Power: 37816
bmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond reputebmrisko has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
Actually Im not trolling. Im just stating the facts from owning one. The interiors are passable for a normal Jeep offering, but not for the money the top of the line SRT costs. Some folks are in love with the Jeep badge, and Im smitten by it a little too as I have owned numerous Jeeps in the past 30 years. However, once the new wears off the SRT, its a glorified Grand Cherokee with a great sound system and good brakes that you paid way too much for. Its as simple as that. Many people are one and done with this last SRT platform. Most of them have figured out they are just one tier away from buying a superior German offering (even if its a year or so old) and how with that next step they gain true, leading SUV performance. The SRT is the bottom of the barrel now, unless of course you drag the little 6 cylinder BMW's and Merc's into the mix.

Why spend so much for almost?
IMHO, the SRT beats all variants of the Cayenne and X5 in the looks department and that has got to count for something. Even pre-owned, I don't see the German cars priced anywhere close to a new or 1 year old SRT, so that may be another determining factor.
__________________
2015 WK2 SRT
Previous Jeeps - '12 WK2 Overland, '99 WJ, '96 ZJ, '93 ZJ (Caged & locked on 35s)
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:44 PM
A-kon's Avatar
Purveyor of Truth
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, Mexico
Posts: 416
Thanks: 36
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 845
A-kon is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Wow. First off I'm not sure which crackpot magazine posted a 0-60 of 4.3 in the new X5 5.0 XDrive but that's simply not reality. I've since had a run in with one and very comfortably took him to 50.

Regarding the '14 SRT vs the Cayenne TT. What I said is not speculation, it's a fact. I've run one in the winter and I beat him. Not smoked but beat and we shut it down under 100. That was in Houston winter. I will post videos of me doing it again this year.

Lastly, I don't get why some people are so down on the SRT Jeep. Especially the interior. I have friends (real friends, not internet friends), with Ford GT, Gallardos, 458, F12, 430 Scud, X5s, RRs, etc. etc. etc. My wife has a 2014 ML Mercedes. I've been in and experienced cars across the spectrum. The Jeep's interior is 100% on par with it's price point. If I had a dollar for every time a valet at a high end restaurant compliments and can't believe how "nice my Jeep is inside". Yes the fit and finish could use some work, etc. But you are using a description of a WK1 and applying it to a 2014 WK2. That's so far out of reach that a difference in opinion cannot justify it. You must have had a lot of problems with yours. That or you had a 12-13 and not a 14.

I have no buyers remorse. The newness has not worn off one bit. The guys you speak of are generally the type of people who bought the SRT not because they loved what it stood for, but because it was the best they felt comfortable purchasing at the time. I had a $100k budget when shopping with some stretch room, comfortably. Bring that up to a $150k budget. I still wouldn't buy the BMW or the Mercedes. My wife's ML was $60k and it is a turd. It has the same excitement level as a Honda Accord. I know because I've owned both. I don't want a Mercedes or BMW. I don't buy into the hype and I'm not a brand whore...now if we are talking new S class or AWD E63 then yes, I'd love one. But aside from that meh.

Regardless, $80k well equipped HellCat Jeep will embarrass the Krauts. It will do it for a fraction of the price. It will look 10X better. And it will still be a Jeep. Out of the X5M, ML63, and Cayenne TT, the only car that has an OMG interior is the Cayenne. The rest are boring and very unexciting. The Jeep interior is good enough. I'd rather them spend the additional coin on performance.
__________________
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A-kon For This Useful Post:
  #44  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:48 PM
5000XD's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 122
Thanks: 12
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 1362
5000XD is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

My 70k SRT Jeep with a 9k tricked out blower will put them all to shame. And I will be looking good while doing so.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 08-12-2014, 03:52 PM
A-kon's Avatar
Purveyor of Truth
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Houston, Mexico
Posts: 416
Thanks: 36
Thanked 45 Times in 37 Posts
Rep Power: 845
A-kon is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstowell View Post
0-30 is a better predictor of whether you'll smoke or get smoked across the intersection at a red light. Higher Hp may allow a badly beaten vehicle with to 60...
My point was that when most people I encounter stop light racing (in Mexico) all shut it down close to 60.
__________________
It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 AM
maxy9's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: QLD Australia
Posts: 711
Thanks: 66
Thanked 70 Times in 67 Posts
Rep Power: 1552
maxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond reputemaxy9 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
Wow. First off I'm not sure which crackpot magazine posted a 0-60 of 4.3 in the new X5 5.0 XDrive but that's simply not reality. I've since had a run in with one and very comfortably took him to 50.

Regarding the '14 SRT vs the Cayenne TT. What I said is not speculation, it's a fact. I've run one in the winter and I beat him. Not smoked but beat and we shut it down under 100. That was in Houston winter. I will post videos of me doing it again this year.

Lastly, I don't get why some people are so down on the SRT Jeep. Especially the interior. I have friends (real friends, not internet friends), with Ford GT, Gallardos, 458, F12, 430 Scud, X5s, RRs, etc. etc. etc. My wife has a 2014 ML Mercedes. I've been in and experienced cars across the spectrum. The Jeep's interior is 100% on par with it's price point. If I had a dollar for every time a valet at a high end restaurant compliments and can't believe how "nice my Jeep is inside". Yes the fit and finish could use some work, etc. But you are using a description of a WK1 and applying it to a 2014 WK2. That's so far out of reach that a difference in opinion cannot justify it. You must have had a lot of problems with yours. That or you had a 12-13 and not a 14.

I have no buyers remorse. The newness has not worn off one bit. The guys you speak of are generally the type of people who bought the SRT not because they loved what it stood for, but because it was the best they felt comfortable purchasing at the time. I had a $100k budget when shopping with some stretch room, comfortably. Bring that up to a $150k budget. I still wouldn't buy the BMW or the Mercedes. My wife's ML was $60k and it is a turd. It has the same excitement level as a Honda Accord. I know because I've owned both. I don't want a Mercedes or BMW. I don't buy into the hype and I'm not a brand whore...now if we are talking new S class or AWD E63 then yes, I'd love one. But aside from that meh.

Regardless, $80k well equipped HellCat Jeep will embarrass the Krauts. It will do it for a fraction of the price. It will look 10X better. And it will still be a Jeep. Out of the X5M, ML63, and Cayenne TT, the only car that has an OMG interior is the Cayenne. The rest are boring and very unexciting. The Jeep interior is good enough. I'd rather them spend the additional coin on performance.

What he said , I've owned 46 cars and I have had Mercs , Beemers , Holdens, Fords, Subaru etc etc all high end models and I love the 2014 interior it just needs a couple tweaks here and there and my friends and family always comment how nice inside the car is not to mention the tech is right up there , but buggy as hell the tech really needs more regular firmware updates or just fix it right the first time ...


iPad @ JeepGarage
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 08-15-2014, 02:29 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 369
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1451
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
Wow. First off I'm not sure which crackpot magazine posted a 0-60 of 4.3 in the new X5 5.0 XDrive but that's simply not reality. I've since had a run in with one and very comfortably took him to 50.

Regarding the '14 SRT vs the Cayenne TT. What I said is not speculation, it's a fact. I've run one in the winter and I beat him. Not smoked but beat and we shut it down under 100. That was in Houston winter. I will post videos of me doing it again this year.

Lastly, I don't get why some people are so down on the SRT Jeep. Especially the interior. I have friends (real friends, not internet friends), with Ford GT, Gallardos, 458, F12, 430 Scud, X5s, RRs, etc. etc. etc. My wife has a 2014 ML Mercedes. I've been in and experienced cars across the spectrum. The Jeep's interior is 100% on par with it's price point. If I had a dollar for every time a valet at a high end restaurant compliments and can't believe how "nice my Jeep is inside". Yes the fit and finish could use some work, etc. But you are using a description of a WK1 and applying it to a 2014 WK2. That's so far out of reach that a difference in opinion cannot justify it. You must have had a lot of problems with yours. That or you had a 12-13 and not a 14.

I have no buyers remorse. The newness has not worn off one bit. The guys you speak of are generally the type of people who bought the SRT not because they loved what it stood for, but because it was the best they felt comfortable purchasing at the time. I had a $100k budget when shopping with some stretch room, comfortably. Bring that up to a $150k budget. I still wouldn't buy the BMW or the Mercedes. My wife's ML was $60k and it is a turd. It has the same excitement level as a Honda Accord. I know because I've owned both. I don't want a Mercedes or BMW. I don't buy into the hype and I'm not a brand whore...now if we are talking new S class or AWD E63 then yes, I'd love one. But aside from that meh.

Regardless, $80k well equipped HellCat Jeep will embarrass the Krauts. It will do it for a fraction of the price. It will look 10X better. And it will still be a Jeep. Out of the X5M, ML63, and Cayenne TT, the only car that has an OMG interior is the Cayenne. The rest are boring and very unexciting. The Jeep interior is good enough. I'd rather them spend the additional coin on performance.

So you have outun a Twin Turbo Cayenne and you just happened to come across a 2014 X5 5.0 that you also beat. You also say its impossible for the X5 5.0 to pull off a 4.3 0-60 even though they're making 460 horsepower and 490 lbs of torque? That must be some kind of "magical" WK2 you have
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Scottina06's Avatar
JeepGarage Founder
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Posts: 49,258
Thanks: 868
Thanked 981 Times in 693 Posts
Rep Power: 7717896
Scottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond reputeScottina06 has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Holy Schitt - RR SVR Ring in 8:14

My "magical" WK2 2014 has run a 3.7 0-60 and a 12.33 1/4 mile for more than 1/2 the cost. Ive owned 2 wk2's in 3 years...so if I wanted a Cayenne TT, RR sport or X5m....I could've bought one. I considered them....test drove them and still ended up with the best bang for buck super SUV on the market...with $80k to play with over the price of a Cayenne TT. The interiors are in the eye of the beholder. You may like the BMW interiors...I don't and never have. The cayenne TT was like a 80s jet fighter with literally 1000 buttons. The RR Sport was so girly, OVERDONE and douche baggy looking just like 99% of its owners. They are very nice...don't get me wrong...but I like the simplicity, yet sleak and modern SRT interior. And I don't have to worry about my little boy throwing his baseball cleats or batbag in the floor board and messing up my RR Sports douchebag interior.....which is probably wet from the leaky sunroof.
__________________

__________________
SCOTT
The HARDER you work...the LUCKIER you are!
2014 REDLINE red Jeep SRT "BLOODIED\BlackOps CFR Edition" 1 of 1
2013 JKU Wrangler 10A-stormtrooper'ed, JW Speaker and more!
Previous JEEP rides-
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-deep cherry
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo-inferno red



Twitter-The_Jeep_Guy
Instagram-thejeep_guy

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holy Crap I am so happy!!! rdalcanto Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 43 02-07-2011 12:45 AM
Holy Sticker Shock moosehead Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 11 10-08-2010 06:31 PM
Holy Hell Help: DTC Mass Codes. SoCalMoparWK Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion 20 05-24-2010 10:12 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community