Hey guys - I've been lurking around these forums for many years now since I saw an amazing black WK1 (2008?) many years ago in Nashville. Thank you all so much for your posts, details and enthusiasm.
I'm now the proud owner of my dream ride - a 2014 Granite Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
. I LOVE this vehicle. It's so much fun to drive, feels firm, handles fantastically, loaded with tech and is really comfortable.
It had 16k miles from the first owner in Florida. My wife and I broke it in with a road-trip from Raleigh to Charlotte the week I got it and it was a ton of fun. We made the wise decision on the way home to go the back roads, making use of the paddle shifters, Valentine One, open pano sunroof and just enjoying the ride. The Borla ATAK was louder than I probably would have gotten myself but that trip made me really appreciate it.
History of Speed
I drove a tweaked '87 Mustang LX 5.0 through high school and college and upgraded to a new (and my only "new" car) '98 Mustang Cobra. It was my dream car at the time and was great to have for many years - especially after some mods. Recently, for the last 10 years, I've had a great '05 Dodge Magnum RT. With some basic mods (Corsa exhaust, cold air, chip) it was functional, comfortable and a real "sport" wagon.
Driving the Jeep is like having all the race car of the '98 Cobra combined with comfort, technology and practicality. As a super aggressive driver I really am a big fan. I wish my father-in-law was still alive to give it a spin - he was a huge mopar fan with an SRT Charger and Challenger and would love the Jeep.
I had been posting and hunting for a few weeks and couldn't find the exact match. With the help of Weldon at Leith Jeep in Raleigh (leithchryslerjeep.com
) he reached out to his network. He found a perfect match on paper and checked it out in person before bringing it back. Gave me a fair price on the Jeep and trade-in for my Magnum. If you need any help with anything he's a great guy to get in touch with.
- Overall look - stout, aggressive, intimidating, modern
- 8-speed transmission - had been waiting for this
- Paddle shifting - lots of fun
- Uconnect/Tech - all nice, simple, smart, very good user experience
- Map/GPS - much better than I expected - great turn-by-turn
- Panoramic sunroom - great for trips, not as loud as I thought
- Borla ATAK exhaust - rumbles, head-turning
- Comfort - great reviews from every seat - even on 3 hour trip
- Launch - that's just insanity
- MPG - it's difficult to stay out of sport and paddle shifting. Seeing if ECO mode can get me to 15MPG
- Map/Traffic - probably won't sign up for Sirius Traffic - nothing compares to Google Maps
- Map light - can't (easily) be swapped for LED
Huge THANK YOU for all the posts, how-tos, and pics!
- Borla ATAK (previous owner)
- Valentine One hard-wire
- LED light kit from PrecisionLED
- Debadged side "Grand Cherokee"
- Magnetic phone mount for Galaxy S6
- Cold air intake
- Audio reroute and mute for Valentine One
- Front grill SRT badge
- Daytime Running Light mod
- Remove/? front license plate
If you're around Raleigh/Cary you'll find me being slightly aggressive (apologies ahead-of-time), hear the loud Borlas, see the Texas sticker on the back and see a big smile on my face. I live up around Falls of Neuse and Spring Forrest.
For years I've bookmarked pages and projects here, made dozens of notes in Evernote and looked forward to the day of joining the WK2 SRT club. I look forward to a local meetup to say "thank you" in person and discuss even more tweaks and ideas. I'm really proud to be an official
part of this motley crew.
(Note the JJ Abrams style lens flare action below! ha)