Shifter - Page 3 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #25  
Old 03-01-2016, 10:53 AM
Illegal Machine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks: 20
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 793
Illegal Machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

I love at the SRT Track Experience when several of the old 5 Speed SRT guys get out of the Jeeps and complain about it.

Last one I went to the instructor basically told the guy in front of me, "We know the shifter is terrible. We've relayed all of the complaints to the engineers.".

__________________
Instagram: @illegal_machine
2003 Neon SRT-4: SOLD; 2005 Crossfire SRT-6: SOLD; 2006 300 SRT-8: SOLD; 2012 300 SRT-8: SOLD; 2010 C63 AMG: SOLD
Current: 2014 JGC SRT-8
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Illegal Machine For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #26  
Old 03-01-2016, 01:10 PM
antsjeep's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 WK2
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,133
Thanks: 184
Thanked 203 Times in 175 Posts
Rep Power: 18185
antsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond reputeantsjeep has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debauch View Post
Another example of "it doesn't work for me so it can't possibly work for anyone else".
I never said that... read what i was responding to below in bold.

"I can't say I have ever landed in the wrong gear with my 2015"

I already admitted to getting into an accident because of the shifter functionality. I just find it odd that so many of us have issues (just on the forum alone) and how some people cant just say its a shitty design. On that note, there most definitely are people on here that have had no problems with it at all and I 100% respect their opinions. I was more or less just making a general statement after reading his post. Never should have used his exact quote to begin with, that was my bad.
__________________
2015 Altitude - Billet Silver
SRT Springs, Taillight Bezels, Red Start Button, Pedals & Grille Mesh, Black Lugs,
Mopar 4" Chrome exhaust tips, 1.25" Bora Wheel Spacers,
Sylvania Ultra H11's,
LED Taillight Bulbs, 15% Tint, Polk DB Center Channel, Mopar All Weather Mats

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Debauch's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 212
Thanks: 30
Thanked 53 Times in 31 Posts
Rep Power: 573264
Debauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond reputeDebauch has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
I never said that... read what i was responding to below in bold.

"I can't say I have ever landed in the wrong gear with my 2015"

I already admitted to getting into an accident because of the shifter functionality. I just find it odd that so many of us have issues (just on the forum alone) and how some people cant just say its a shitty design. On that note, there most definitely are people on here that have had no problems with it at all and I 100% respect their opinions. I was more or less just making a general statement after reading his post. Never should have used his exact quote to begin with, that was my bad.
Ok you're right. I take back my comment

I don't think it's a shitty design ... I admit that you do have to pay attention more than you would with a typical shifter but the issue seems blown out of proportion. Mileage will vary, I get that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:39 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 64
Thanks: 17
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 407
phinor is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by antsjeep View Post
Just another example of someone not being able to admit to EVER having a single mishap with this shifter.

Wish i were perfect.
Yawn, people like you bore me, a reason I stopped using forums as your more interested in whinging about something AFTER you purchased it.

There is nothing wrong with the shifter in these vehicles, maybe the problem is the driver.
__________________

2015 SRT GC
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phinor For This Useful Post:
  #29  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Illegal Machine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks: 20
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 793
Illegal Machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debauch View Post
Ok you're right. I take back my comment

I don't think it's a shitty design ... I admit that you do have to pay attention more than you would with a typical shifter but the issue seems blown out of proportion. Mileage will vary, I get that.
Yeah. Bolded means it's a shitty design.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-01-2016, 05:58 PM
Illegal Machine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks: 20
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 793
Illegal Machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinor View Post
Yawn, people like you bore me, a reason I stopped using forums as your more interested in whinging about something AFTER you purchased it.

There is nothing wrong with the shifter in these vehicles, maybe the problem is the driver.
I'd agree if the NTHSA wasn't investigating and FCA didn't discontinue the shifter after 2 model years.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Perth, WA
Posts: 64
Thanks: 17
Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 407
phinor is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illegal Machine View Post
I'd agree if the NTHSA wasn't investigating and FCA didn't discontinue the shifter after 2 model years.
What anoyed me more about this is me saying I don't have a problem with it, and then the person that does having a dig like this. I didn't have a personal poke at anyone, just giving my opinion.

""Just another example of someone not being able to admit to EVER having a single mishap with this shifter.

Wish i were perfect.""
__________________

2015 SRT GC
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to phinor For This Useful Post:
  #32  
Old 03-01-2016, 08:28 PM
Member
My Jeep: 2015 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CT
Posts: 62
Thanks: 10
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 462
Mrr04004 is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

So I really don't understand the big deal with this shifter. Yes I hated it when I first tried it when my lease was coming up on my 2012 but after a second test drive I didn't find any big issue with it. I have had my 2025 for 6 months and still no real issues. Yes I have gone to turn off the Jeep and haven't been in park and yes this has happen before in my 2012 Jeep and other cars I have driven. It's not a common occurrence but it does happen.

For ppl saying you really need to pay attention, well yes you do. You have a heavy piece of equipment you are response for that can seriously injury or even kill someone.

I am in the auto insurance industry and do you know how many time ppl have told me "the other person was speeding!" And then I ask did you see at all before and they say "no not at all they came out of no where" Or "I slammed on the brakes and the car just took off on its own. I'm calling the dealership to see if there is a recall" Alight dbag well your at fault because you weren't pay attention you never looked to see if a car was there or you just hit the gas instead of the brake.

I'm sick and tired of ppl not taking responsibility. Yes I maybe a little bitter but that's what happens when you deal with morons all day.

If this shifter issue had something to do with the Jeep shifting on its own or some other electrical issue that's one thing.

I'm not do not know all the details of this investigation but seems like it's just human error.

Rant over.




Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
2015 Grand Cherokee Altitude
Billet Silver
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Illegal Machine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 116
Thanks: 20
Thanked 31 Times in 23 Posts
Rep Power: 793
Illegal Machine is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrr04004 View Post
So I really don't understand the big deal with this shifter. Yes I hated it when I first tried it when my lease was coming up on my 2012 but after a second test drive I didn't find any big issue with it. I have had my 2025 for 6 months and still no real issues. Yes I have gone to turn off the Jeep and haven't been in park and yes this has happen before in my 2012 Jeep and other cars I have driven. It's not a common occurrence but it does happen.

For ppl saying you really need to pay attention, well yes you do. You have a heavy piece of equipment you are response for that can seriously injury or even kill someone.

I am in the auto insurance industry and do you know how many time ppl have told me "the other person was speeding!" And then I ask did you see at all before and they say "no not at all they came out of no where" Or "I slammed on the brakes and the car just took off on its own. I'm calling the dealership to see if there is a recall" Alight dbag well your at fault because you weren't pay attention you never looked to see if a car was there or you just hit the gas instead of the brake.

I'm sick and tired of ppl not taking responsibility. Yes I maybe a little bitter but that's what happens when you deal with morons all day.

If this shifter issue had something to do with the Jeep shifting on its own or some other electrical issue that's one thing.

I'm not do not know all the details of this investigation but seems like it's just human error.

Rant over.




Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
The details of the investigation are exactly what you did. Got out of their Jeep when it wasn't in park. Then we've got jeeps rolling all over the place.

BMW got popped for the exact same thing in the mid '00's if I remember correctly.

All you REALLY need to know, is that FCA got so many complaints that they completely redesigned the shifter after two model years.

Two.

I don't know if I've ever seen that.

Which means they had probably scrapped the shifter just as the 2015's were just starting production.

I'm not trying to petition for a replacement, or sue FCA. But when I read "nope. nothing wrong with the shifter. must be the user" I roll my eyes. The manufacturer completely scrapped it in 2 years. Period. The design is flawed and the company that created it agrees.
__________________
Instagram: @illegal_machine
2003 Neon SRT-4: SOLD; 2005 Crossfire SRT-6: SOLD; 2006 300 SRT-8: SOLD; 2012 300 SRT-8: SOLD; 2010 C63 AMG: SOLD
Current: 2014 JGC SRT-8
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 AM
Milous's Avatar
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Nottsure, Wair
Posts: 8,165
Thanks: 52
Thanked 4,816 Times in 1,745 Posts
Rep Power: 2466904
Milous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond reputeMilous has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinor View Post
There is nothing wrong with the shifter in these vehicles, maybe the problem is the driver.
No, the problem is that it's a shitty design. It's the "Edsel" of shifters. Otherwise, FCA would not have spent $$millions$$ to fix a design that should have never made it into production.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milous For This Useful Post:
  #35  
Old 03-02-2016, 09:33 AM
Doc V.'s Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The Ultimate Limit of Traction
Posts: 22
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 465
Doc V. is on a distinguished road
Re: Shifter

NHTSA: People Can't Figure Out How to Shift Fiat Chryslers Into Park

Cars | Gearshift Systems - ZF Friedrichshafen AG
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-02-2016, 11:28 AM
overlanding's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,476
Thanks: 807
Thanked 225 Times in 197 Posts
Rep Power: 8460
overlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond reputeoverlanding has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Shifter


Foot on the brake, press the button on the shifter, push shifter forward 2 clicks. Done. Idiots.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to overlanding For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shifter cover for the 8-speed "T" shifter Rule62 Interior/Exterior/Visual 4 12-03-2014 12:18 AM
Paddle Shifter Mod JETLIFE Visual Modifications 89 03-24-2013 12:32 PM
How to remove my shifter knob hydro899 Visual Modifications 9 08-28-2010 12:10 AM
T-Handle Challenger Shifter On Jeep BillsHoe Visual Modifications 20 06-15-2009 01:46 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.