I think that I may have found a plan B that I could be VERY happy with...
So here's the deal: I'm REALLY starting to think that not only is the 2012+ Grand Cherokee SRT8 is out of my league price wise; it's WAY out of my league price wise. When you look at competitors with similar features they're even MORE expensive. So, I needed to expand my search to include cars with some
compromises but at a much lower price. I may have found what I'm looking for... the 2013 Dodge Charger R/T Max with AWD.
I KNOW it's not an SRT8 anything, but hear me out:
- The price loaded
will still be about $20,000 less than the Jeep while still offering high end amenities like the 8.4" head unit (which the Grand Cherokees DO NOT have), heated / ventilated seats with rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, adaptive cruise control, HID headlamps, Harmon / Kardon & Beats Audio, AWD, and will probably include the 8-speed transmission with paddle shifters.
- It still has a pretty badass engine, the 370 horsepower 5.7L Hemi V8 (definitely not the rush of the 470 horsepower 6.4L Hemi, but still enough to put a smile on my face to / from work)
- It can tow with the use of the available Mopar hidden hitch. Not as great of a towing capacity as the Grand Cherokee SRT8 mind you, but enough to meet my needs.
- Although it's not an SUV, it's still a FULL SIZE sedan, so interior room is still GREAT.
- With the new likely 8-speed transmission it should get around 17 MPG city and 26 MPG highway all while running on regular gas (HUGE cost savings over the life of the car there)
- It's infinitely customizable; there are a TON of aftermarket accessories for the Dodge Charger line. For example; here's a 2011 Dodge Charger R/T with the 370 horsepower 5.7L Hemi with a new Corsa aftermarket exhaust:
The styling is still BADASS:
So what am I losing? The Charger will be VERY peppy, but won't be crazy fast like the Grand Cherokee SRT8. It has a BIG trunk, but will still have smaller cargo room than the Grand Cherokee SRT8.
Again, I KNOW IT'S NOT A GRAND CHEROKEE SRT8, but you've gotta admit, it's still VERY nice for a HECK of a lot less $$$!