Man, it's been some time coming.
Jan 5th - boom. There's a thread, don't feel like searching for it now and reliving that. But:
Lots more here
if you are curious as to the damage.
As many know, I was going to part out/throw a stock motor in and dump the SRT. Things changed and I ended up shipping her up to Livernois to rebuild. Not sure where the pics are of the transport picking it up, but what a cluster.
Since it wasn't running, their first question was if they could use a forklift to get it on. Um, no. When they showed up, they had no way to get it on the hauler. No winch. No come along. He did have a few straps and decided to drag the Jeep up by the tow hitch with a clapped out Avalanche. I got in the Jeep and proceeded to steer myself up the ramp, good times. First attempt was an attempt to get me on top. About 3' from where I needed to get the Avalanche started slippings, he slammed on the brakes and the jolt snapped the strap. Down I went with no power steering/brakes. That was NOT fun. Next attempt after speaking to his wife/girlfriend/whatever in a hushed argument he decided to put it on the bottom, with a now much shorter strap. I really wish I had someone there to video it. I was freaking out and was not in a good mood at all, but I'd probably laugh my ass off now. In any case, Livernois got it unscathed in February. In snow that it will probably never see again:
Next few months consisted of tearing it down, inspecting, getting the blower to Whipple for a rebuild, etc. Cause of failure - stuck valve. Hollow-stemmed intake valve over the doomed piston flexed and stuck, piston made nice contact - enough to sheer the pin off the cam and throw all timing out of the window. Every single intake valve made piston contact (and I believe all but 1 exhaust valve did as well).
End result was a new shortblock updated to be fully forged 392, beefy valvetrain, etc. Heads had to be reworked due to contact. Also put their rocker bar kit on:
This setup should have no issue with the blower and can put down more power if I pulley down and up the fuel. We'll see how the trans does for awhile first... But, some quick engine pron:
Look, no blown up sh!t!
Come end of July, the Jeep was back together and alive. Random things during the reassembly were a toasted battery and a toasted starter. Also learned that the 2014 oil pan is not the same as the 2012-2013 (replacement shortblock was the 2013 part number I believe).
Over the following few months Livernois started tuning. Big delay occurred in the middle when they had to replace their AWD dyno (no, not because the Jeep broke it, but that would have been something!
). We found out that the cats were thrashed once they started getting on it. They are a bit freer flowing now... Added in a Fastman throttle body around this time as well from cyanideg.
I also asked Livernois to take the Jeep to the track, drive it around, do whatever needed to be done to iron out the details. It went to 2 track days along with who knows how much time on the dyno.
Now, it was getting close. The Jeep really had been out of sight/out of mind for the most part for me. Now, it she was ready to come home. Finding an enclosed carrier took some time, but she was loaded up on Friday the 13th (oh crap...):
And that poor '65 Stingray (more on that in a minute):
November 18. She finally arrived home yesterday afternoon. Fairly uneventful since it is running with no threats of using a forklift.
Dropping the driver back at his truck, I was quickly reminded that I need to put the registration that has been on my desk since March on, but she was actually back in the driveway:
They were in a hurry to get to their next spot and there was some confusion with the payment, which leads me back to the Stingray... It must have been leaking something because there was gunk on the roof. There was also some on the windshield/hood/passenger side. I saw it, checked it, it smeared off and didn't etch the paint or anything. I should have checked more though.
Once I finished up my afternoon meetings and picked up my son I got to washing her. It wasn't very dirty as Livernois had cleaned it up prior to putting it on the transport, but it was raining when they did. Minor water spots and dust that was easy to get off. The gunk for the most part came off without any effort. I did use the clay bar on a small spot on the roof. Then I got to the hood. Once the hood was wet it was obvious that someone had tried to get the 'gunk' off with a rag. F@ck me. Once I got it cleaned up, this is what showed up:
I'm pretty pissed at myself for not catching this when I went over it. I really should have forced them to wait while I washed it (as Livernois did when it was delivered to them). The pics above show the worst, but there are scratches all over the passenger side of the hood. Whatever was used to make a lame attempt at cleaning the gunk off had to be filthy. Most will buff out, but I really doubt that the scratches near the heat extractor will. Just one more thing to deal with...
But, she's home and feels strong. I haven't had much chance to drive yet but I'll add to the thread as I have more information.
And, more decoration for the office desk: