Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #37  
Old 06-18-2012, 11:57 PM
EviL's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UAE
Posts: 329
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Rep Power: 439485
EviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond reputeEviL has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
The SRT hitch cover and the stock one is only held on with two spring loaded tabs. Try taking yours off and you will get a better feel of what is back there and what is needed.

But really all you need is 1. The Hitch 2. The SRT hitch cover 3. The Wiring box that snaps in the hitch itself.


honestly i dont think ill be hauling anything with my srt soon

so i wanted it as a styling effect.

i called my friend in the agency and he said that the srt hitch reciever part number is not available in the system even for ordering !!!
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-19-2012, 01:07 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 368
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1418
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

I am looking at a 2012 WK part schematic in PDF form. I would post it if it was a JPEG. Anyway, tell your buddy he needs to call someone that has a current catalog.

This is the number and I can order them all day long here in the U.S. He should be able to as well.

P.N. 68157472AA
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1047
elp_jc is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
But really all you need is: 1. The Hitch 2. The SRT hitch cover 3. The Wiring box that snaps in the hitch itself.
Hey man, would you mind listing the part numbers of all those 3 parts? It's confusing after so many changes. You posted these on a previous post:

Receiver 82212180AB $241
Wire harness 82212196AB $103
Small bezel (SRT Receiver cover) 68157472AA $167

My understanding is we don't need the wire harness, but we do need the plug that is needed to connect the trailer connector, right? If so, what's the part number of that plug? And how about the part number for the rivet tool and rivets from NAPA? That'd help A LOT, to avoid guessing and possibly making a mistake. One post with all the final information would be awesome .

Finally, the hitch package contains the hitch, bezel, spare tire kit, but DELETES THE TOW HOOK. What's the deal with that? Is it part of the reinforcement removed, or do we have to remove it separately? And no, the hitch package does not include any extra cooling or anything extra, which is great news.

EDIT: Forgot about the spare tire kit. Any info on part numbers and cost? Thx. Tempted to remove it from the Overland, but wouldn't be right . By the way, is the cavity just empty on the SRT???
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:50 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 368
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1418
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey man, would you mind listing the part numbers of all those 3 parts? It's confusing after so many changes. You posted these on a previous post:

Receiver 82212180AB $241
Wire harness 82212196AB $103
Small bezel (SRT Receiver cover) 68157472AA $167

My understanding is we don't need the wire harness, but we do need the plug that is needed to connect the trailer connector, right? If so, what's the part number of that plug? And how about the part number for the rivet tool and rivets from NAPA? That'd help A LOT, to avoid guessing and possibly making a mistake. One post with all the final information would be awesome .

Finally, the hitch package contains the hitch, bezel, spare tire kit, but DELETES THE TOW HOOK. What's the deal with that? Is it part of the reinforcement removed, or do we have to remove it separately? And no, the hitch package does not include any extra cooling or anything extra, which is great news.

EDIT: Forgot about the spare tire kit. Any info on part numbers and cost? Thx. Tempted to remove it from the Overland, but wouldn't be right . By the way, is the cavity just empty on the SRT???


I have yet to see two different spare tires in the WK2 SRT8 whether you have the hitch or not. No one has really set that straight that I know of. You dont have to buy the wiring kit, but you must obtain the 4/7 plug that snaps in the receiver itself or you can leave the hole unfilled and spend 30 bucks on an adapter that plugs into your factory pigtail.

You will have to buy the bezel as well.

IMO, buy all three parts and call it good. This will make it the same as the factory installation. Im all about saving some money, but I would get the factory plug that snaps in the receiver. If you dont, there will be a big visible hole there when towing.


Receiver 82212180AB $241
Wire harness 82212196AB $103
Small bezel (SRT Receiver cover) 68157472AA $167
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1047
elp_jc is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
IMO, buy all three parts and call it good. Receiver 82212180AB $241
Wire harness 82212196AB $103
Small bezel (SRT Receiver cover) 68157472AA $167
Damn, why the hell somebody said it wasn't needed? Geez. Thanks man. SRT is in the garage, and I negotiated dealer bought the other 2 parts and I'll install them myself. Oh well. Will have to buy the harness myself. Can I install that later, or is it necessary to route it properly to have the other parts off? Where is the connector that it connects to? Don't remember reading about that.

And truck came with the same spare and jack kit/styrofoam deal as the Overland, so great news. And already removed the hood's 'Jeep' letters, the side "Grand Cherokee' letters, and the rear 'SRT8' badge. Looks MUCH better. Everybody knows it's a freaking Jeep, and whoever doesn't know it's an SRT, they wouldn't know what an SRT is anyway . Plus the hitch bezel says it, just in case. Plus the wheels. Plus the seats. That's enough .
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:19 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 368
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1418
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Damn, why the hell somebody said it wasn't needed? Geez. Thanks man. SRT is in the garage, and I negotiated dealer bought the other 2 parts and I'll install them myself. Oh well. Will have to buy the harness myself. Can I install that later, or is it necessary to route it properly to have the other parts off? Where is the connector that it connects to? Don't remember reading about that.

And truck came with the same spare and jack kit/styrofoam deal as the Overland, so great news. And already removed the hood's 'Jeep' letters, the side "Grand Cherokee' letters, and the rear 'SRT8' badge. Looks MUCH better. Everybody knows it's a freaking Jeep, and whoever doesn't know it's an SRT, they wouldn't know what an SRT is anyway . Plus the hitch bezel says it, just in case. Plus the wheels. Plus the seats. That's enough .
Check out this hitch. Its the OEM version. See the large hole? that is where the 4/7 plug snaps into place and fills it. If that hole doesnt bother you, you can pick up a jumper that will plug into the factory female outlet....or "pig tail" from Reese for $30

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320886696701



BTW, you can add the plug at any point after the hitch has been installed. Prob a 10 minute job
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2012 6.4L SRT8
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ormond Beach FL
Posts: 1,544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2914
mjw930 has a reputation beyond reputemjw930 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

I guess the thing in question is whether the only part of the wiring harness you actually need to use is the 4/7 wire plug on the upper right?



I have never looked under an SRT without the hitch but I thought someone mentioned the wiring harness was already there, it was only the end plug you needed. Is it because the plug isn't sold separately that you need to buy the entire kit?

BTW, the receiver is upside down in the picture
__________________
2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 Black/Black
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-10-2012, 03:07 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 368
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1418
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw930 View Post
I guess the thing in question is whether the only part of the wiring harness you actually need to use is the 4/7 wire plug on the upper right?



I have never looked under an SRT without the hitch but I thought someone mentioned the wiring harness was already there, it was only the end plug you needed. Is it because the plug isn't sold separately that you need to buy the entire kit?

BTW, the receiver is upside down in the picture
You are exactly right Mjw. However, I dont know if the plug can be purchased separately. You might be able to score one on Ebay. I have the complete wiring harness minus the plug box now... Dont know what the heck I will do with the harness by itself.....
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 101
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 1047
elp_jc is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
If that hole doesnt bother you
It does . Ordered the damn harness. So there's no need for ANY of the harness except that plug? Geez. I'm really surprised that plug is not available separately. I bet it is. Hopefully somebody can find it, so more of us don't have to throw $100 away for a $10 part. If I don't need the harness, will just throw it away.

Hey gang, a request for those who will do this soon, since the previous installers didn't bother to take pictures . Here are what I consider the most important questions for the project:

1. Pictures of the bumper clips once bumper is removed, so we know what we're dealing with. And how to unclip it without breaking any clips.
2. Picture of the hard to remove clips on the rear part of the rear inner fender. And how to remove them.
3. Where is the harness connector? Is it already at the rear of the car, or spiraled up (like the picture above) somewhere else?

A proper DIY would be a lot nicer, but I think the above 3 questions should be enough for those of us mechanically inclined. Thanks gang.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 368
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Rep Power: 1418
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
It does . Ordered the damn harness. So there's no need for ANY of the harness except that plug? Geez. I'm really surprised that plug is not available separately. I bet it is. Hopefully somebody can find it, so more of us don't have to throw $100 away for a $10 part. If I don't need the harness, will just throw it away.

Hey gang, a request for those who will do this soon, since the previous installers didn't bother to take pictures . Here are what I consider the most important questions for the project:

1. Pictures of the bumper clips once bumper is removed, so we know what we're dealing with. And how to unclip it without breaking any clips.
2. Picture of the hard to remove clips on the rear part of the rear inner fender. And how to remove them.
3. Where is the harness connector? Is it already at the rear of the car, or spiraled up (like the picture above) somewhere else?

A proper DIY would be a lot nicer, but I think the above 3 questions should be enough for those of us mechanically inclined. Thanks gang.

1. The main side fascia clip will take some negotiating. I got my thumb behind the long support where the clip is and flexed it away from the female end. One side turned loose pretty easy, the second side didnt. This is how I discovered both sides arent needed to be unbuttoned and this keeps you from having to unplug the backup sensors. The plastic rivets are strong little suckers. They can be drilled out or popped out with an old school door panel tool or a plastic plug puller. (Like a screwdriver with a big V on the end) You will need new plastic rivets when going back together. Once popped they are ruined.

2. Leaving this one to you I would love to see one again

3. The pigtail is fastened right where it needs to be for plugging into to the 4/7 plug once its installed in the hitch. You will immediately see it when you remove the air difuser that connects from the bottom of the Fascia and stretches to the rear diff.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-01-2013, 11:11 AM
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ylfotevoli is on a distinguished road
Re: Trailer hitch option. Anyone added it?

I'm getting ready to do this as well, so thanks for the info!

Real quick, did the hitch receiver come with all the hardware required?

Also, here's the part number for the 4/7 plug: 56055632AC

Jake
__________________

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
jeep SRT towing, jeep tow kit, SRT, srt8 towing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailer hitch Metz1374 Interior/Exterior/Visual 12 04-15-2012 08:10 AM
Trailer hitch wingman1800 Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 4 12-20-2011 12:21 PM
trailer hitch help !! MattyDipps Interior/Exterior/Visual 8 10-07-2011 06:54 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community