well she's on air. - Page 8 - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #85  
Old 01-13-2015, 06:34 PM
ssgunner's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 950
Thanks: 19
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Rep Power: 1937
ssgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond reputessgunner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: well she's on air.

Freaking Sexy!!!

__________________
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 5.7 HEMI MAX Steel>Build Date:Oct/13-Mods: Billet CC Blue, Searching for best exhaust option...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #86  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:04 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 165
Thanks: 7
Thanked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Rep Power: 0
ROAD WARRIOR is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

Well thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:55 PM
ENFORCER's Avatar
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L WK2
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,184
Thanks: 29
Thanked 139 Times in 112 Posts
Rep Power: 322994
ENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond reputeENFORCER has a reputation beyond repute
Re: well she's on air.

I think the mod suits the car and gives more flexibility to adjust to many conditions.
The argument as to why raceteams do not run this is simple.
The weight being a main factor and the other one is that the track conditions are a known factor, so they would not need to adjust the ride height, spring rates or shock settings on the go. They would set it for the conditions and be done with it.

I do not know why people have to get to a personal attack level over one persons mods. To me it is a fairly cheap mod that costs what an new exhaust costs, but offers more functionality. While I doubt I would do it to my ride, I think it should be applauded that someone did a mod outside the normal and we can all appreciate that.
__________________
Previous Ride = 2011 JGC CRD Overland
Current Ride = 2014 Silver JGC SRT with Pano, HK and Spider monkeys.
Mods = CLSTech Ribbon Mod

Best 1/4 13.4@102Mph
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:31 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 222
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1228
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
Well well well...just when things were getting a little stale. I generally believe in the biblical reference of not throwing pearls before swine...but today, today my friend. I'm your Huckleberry

To the overall "argument" here I say this: Don't piss on me and tell me it's rain. The bottom line, a lot of people here like ghetto stuff. That's a fact. The issue arises is people want to have their cake and eat it too. Sorry, but no dice. If you like ghetto stuff, own up to it. Don't try to convince people it's not ghetto by understating the real reason you did it. Before the race baiters go insane, the term ghetto, while often applying to ethnic minorities, is not limited to any race. It's simply a term that applies to styles and things that originated with hood rat people. Slamming cars on airbags starting in the hood.

I can't think of one OEM airbag setup that slams all the way to the ground and drags the bumper. Not one. Doing that is completely pointless and is 100% a look that people who like ghetto stuff like. Nothing wrong with that, I just like to point out that it's ghetto. If airbags were that effective (and reliable) of performance accessories race teams would surely find a way to make the benefits outweigh the costs. But no reason beating a dead horse...

Now on to the real gem. Being friends with me. You're absolutely correct, well except the part about it not being fun. I travel the world, I drink good liquor, smoke good cigars, shoot bad ass guns, and generally don't give a shit (outside of work of course). I've never been a joiner and I do not yearn for the approval of my peers like the masses do. I've always been an outlier and always will be. Fortunately there are people on this forum and others who are sharp enough to see through the persona. Quite a few people I've talked shit to on forums only to hit it off at the track. It's only the peanut brained simpletons who actually get upset by what I write and think "man **** that guy". Let's call it a system of weeding out the sub 130-140 IQ people...aka those people I don't wish to be friends with. I don't get along with peasants, so if you don't like me... well you get the gist...Now there's always a chance you are not a simpleton, and are in fact trolling the troll. In that case I say "touche", and "carry on!".

Now if you want to talk shit to me, please come shit in one of my threads. I've already shit in this poor guy's thread once, now it's twice. I really don't want to shit it up anymore.
The more you write...The more you definitely bring question to whether your IQ is even close to the range that you say is on par with the folks that you hang around. Just saying.

First off I take no offense to most things that people like you write on the internet. You might want to research the history of the air ride suspension before you make any more comments. That way you will have the facts to base your highly opinionated judgments on.

You have obviously never had any experience with any air ride systems. Yes, you have already proven that. If you took the time to figure out where the air ride system came from and also where it got popular then you would know that it did not get its influences from the hood. It actually was a response to guys that build hot rods and also guys that were building mini trucks and their attempts to have a lowered stance and also have the ability to raise the vehicle when they needed to. As a matter of fact if you took your airride equipped vehicle to the "hood" and began to operate the system, most if not all of the "hoodrats" would say that it was hydraulics. Actually almost every person that I encountered that was uninformed actually referred to it as hydraulics. Air ride as a custom trend began in the suburbs of America in the hot rod and mini trucking communities. There are lower cost systems out there that perform like crap just as there are very sophisticated systems out there that rival traditional coil sprung systems. Coil spring systems cost much less than air sprung systems and air sprung systems actually require a good amount of engineering to do properly. Most well performing systems involve mechanics, geometry, electronics, pneumatics, planning and good execution. I would say that it involves far more sophistication to pull off an airsprung system than to simply swap some coil springs.

Again, I will call attention to the fact that air springs are everywhere around you on our nations roadways. They probably carried your expensive yet defective wheels to your door. They are highly reliable and pretty darned simple to actually make them work correctly.

So once again you are uninformed about the actual origin or even the origin of the lower class utilization of the systems.


next up,

Airride systems have been around for a very long time. As a matter of fact here is a very easily located description of the history of the air spring from the very beginning. I am sure that this next bit of reading will not as you smart guys say "shit up" this thread. It is actually good reading for those that would like to enlighten themselves about the origin of this type of system. You may want to read it but I am sure it is certainly beneath you to even entertain the idea of enlightenment about the very subject that you have staked a claim of expertise in.




History[edit]
In 1901 an American, William W. Humphreys, patented an idea - a 'Pneumatic Spring for Vehicles'.[1] The design consisted of a left and right air spring longitudinally channeled nearly the length of the vehicle. The channels were con-caved to receive two long pneumatic cushions. Each one was closed at one end and provided with an air-valve at the other end.[2]

From 1920, Frenchman George Messier provided aftermarket pneumatic suspension systems.[3] His own 1922-1930 Messier automobiles featured a suspension "to hold the car aloft on four gas bubbles."[4]

During the Second World War, the US developed the air suspension for heavy aircraft in order to save weight with compact construction. The reason air suspension was used in heavy trucks and aircraft was mainly to attain Self-levelling suspension. With adjustable air pressure, the axle height was independent of vehicle load.[5]

In 1946, American William Bushnell Stout built a non-production prototype Stout Scarab that featured numerous innovations, including a four-wheel independent air suspension system.[6]

In 1954, Frenchman Paul Mages completed over a decade of experiments into developing a functioning air/oil Hydropneumatic suspension, that encompassed all the advantages of the earlier air suspension concepts.[7] His employer, CitroŽn installed this suspension on the rear axle of their top-of-range model, the CitroŽn Traction Avant 15 Six Cylinder Hydraulique[8] - providing a successful real world test of the benefits of a car without steel springs.

In 1955, the automotive world was stunned by an important new car - the CitroŽn DS with four wheel Hydropneumatic suspension. This car showed just how much better a car could perform without steel springs. It combined features that previously had been impossible - very soft, comfortable suspension, with controlled movements, for sharp handling, and Self-levelling suspension. This set off a scramble among automakers claiming to build comfortable or luxurious cars.[9]

In America, General Motors built on its WW2 experience with air suspension for trucks and airplanes. It introduced air suspension as standard equipment on the new 1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham.[10] An "Air Dome" assembly at each wheel included sensors to compensate for uneven road surfaces and to automatically maintain the car's height.[11] For 1958 and 1959, the system continued on the Eldorado Brougham, and was offered as an extra cost option on other Cadillacs.[12][13]

In 1958, Buick introduced an optional "Air-Poised Suspension" with four cylinders of air (instead of conventional coil springs) for automatic leveling, as well as a "Bootstrap" control on the dashboard to raise the car 5.5 inches (139.7 millimetres) for use on steep ramps or rutted country roads, as well as for facilitating tire changes or to clean the whitewall tires.[14] For 1959, Buick offered an optional "Air Ride" system on all models that combined "soft-rate" steel coil springs in the front with air springs in the rear.[15]

An optional air suspension system was available on the 1958 and 1959 Rambler Ambassadors, as well as on all American Motors "Cross Country" station wagon models.[16][17] The "Air-Coil Ride" utilized an engine-driven compressor, reservoir, air bags within the coil springs, and a ride-height control, but the $99 optional system was not popular and American Motors (AMC) discontinued it for 1960.[16][18]

Only Cadillac continued to offer air suspension through the 1960 model year, where it was standard equipment on the Eldorado Seville, Biarritz and Brougham.[19]

In 1962, the Mercedes-Benz W112 was introduced - named the 300SE sedans and Coupes/Cabriolets, which featured an air suspension.[20] The system used a Bosch main valve (distributing the air pressure) with two axle valves on the front axle and one valve of the rear axle. These controlled an air spring on each wheel axle. This was entirely different from the GM system in that the airspring used a bag mounted on a cone. As the car load increases on the bag it rolls down the cone and this in turn increases the air pressure in the bag. Because of the cone shape the suspension is infinitely variable. The axle valves do three jobs; they are fed reduced air pressure to the front and keep the bag supplied with sufficient air to keep the ride height constant. When the load is relieved they release air back to the car's air dryer. The rear valve is fed full air pressure from the reservoir in front, which in turn is kept filled by a single-cylinder air compressor powered by the engine.

In 1964, the Mercedes-Benz 600 expanded use of the compressed air system to also power the brake servo. This Grosse Mercedes, which remained in production until 1984. The air springs on these are bigger version of those found on the W112 and W109 cars.

The desirability and usefulness of the feature was cemented by Rolls-Royce, not usually known for being on the edge of technology, when they incorporated self-levelling suspension on the 1965 Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow. This was built under license from CitroŽn.

In 1975, the Mercedes-Benz 450SEL 6.9 was able to replace the high build costs, complexity, and high running costs of the compressed air system[21] from the 600 with a hydropneumatic suspension, because the patents on the technology had expired. Mercedes-Benz has offered this feature ever since, as an extra cost option, and continues to refine it.

Air suspension was not included in standard production American-built cars between 1960 and 1984, when the Lincoln Motor Company introduced it as standard equipment on the Lincoln Continental Mark VII.

In 1986, Toyota Soarer introduced a world first electronically controlled (Toyota Electronic Modulated Suspension), semi-active full air suspension (spring constant, variable attenuation force).[22]
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bustanuddz For This Useful Post:
  #89  
Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 222
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1228
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

More research---

http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/06...air/index.html

There was an article that PHR published. This Camaro already had all the performace suspension upgrades. So this is more of an apples to apples comparison.

The stock comparison showed drastic improvements. We took a 67 Camaro last year at the Street Challenge and did some slalom and lap times at Putnam Park, which is a 2 mile road course. We had a professional driver (Boris Said) in the car to make sure it was pushed to the max in both tests. Then which swiched out to the AirBar in the rear and the Shockwaves up front and picked up about 3.5 mph in the slalom and about 7 seconds per lap.
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bustanuddz For This Useful Post:
  #90  
Old 01-22-2015, 12:43 PM
HAMMMERHEAD's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: The Ozarks
Posts: 390
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rep Power: 2273
HAMMMERHEAD is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-kon View Post
Well well well...just when things were getting a little stale. I generally believe in the biblical reference of not throwing pearls before swine...but today, today my friend. I'm your Huckleberry

To the overall "argument" here I say this: Don't piss on me and tell me it's rain. The bottom line, a lot of people here like ghetto stuff. That's a fact. The issue arises is people want to have their cake and eat it too. Sorry, but no dice. If you like ghetto stuff, own up to it. Don't try to convince people it's not ghetto by understating the real reason you did it. Before the race baiters go insane, the term ghetto, while often applying to ethnic minorities, is not limited to any race. It's simply a term that applies to styles and things that originated with hoodrat people. Slamming cars on airbags starting in the hood.

I can't think of one OEM airbag setup that slams all the way to the ground and drags the bumper. Not one. Doing that is completely pointless and is 100% a look that people who like ghetto stuff like. Nothing wrong with that, I just like to point out that it's ghetto. If airbags were that effective (and reliable) of performance accessories race teams would surely find a way to make the benefits outweigh the costs. But no reason beating a dead horse...

Now on to the real gem. Being friends with me. You're absolutely correct, well except the part about it not being fun. I travel the world, I drink good liquor, smoke good cigars, shoot bad ass guns, and generally don't give a shit (outside of work of course). I've never been a joiner and I do not yearn for the approval of my peers like the masses do. I've always been an outlier and always will be. Fortunately there are people on this forum and others who are sharp enough to see through the persona. Quite a few people I've talked shit to on forums only to hit it off at the track. It's only the peanut brained simpletons who actually get upset by what I write and think "man **** that guy". Let's call it a system of weeding out the sub 130-140 IQ people...aka those people I don't wish to be friends with. I don't get along with peasants, so if you don't like me... well you get the gist...Now there's always a chance you are not a simpleton, and are in fact trolling the troll. In that case I say "touche", and "carry on!".

Now if you want to talk shit to me, please come shit in one of my threads. I've already shit in this poor guy's thread once, now it's twice. I really don't want to shit it up anymore.


Its not very cool referring to his mods as being ghetto. If the truck would have been sitting at a slightly lower than stock height for the photo, would you have had the same response? I think not. Your short minded drivel, which is found in many of the threads here, comes off as you being really short or at least upset about a shortcoming all the time. You cant insult someone and then say "no offense" or Im sorry your shit sucks...but. The air you bring to some of these threads through your insults stink Akon.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HAMMMERHEAD For This Useful Post:
  #91  
Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 PM
pinetar's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2014 3.6L WK2
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sierra NV
Posts: 1,254
Thanks: 20
Thanked 134 Times in 108 Posts
Rep Power: 2883
pinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond reputepinetar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: well she's on air.

Gotta love the white-splaining about how using "ghetto" to describe things you don't like, isn't a race issue.

-

I think the airbags solve a huge problem that the springs can't and really appreciate the references provided about some history to them.

This would be the route I would go if I ever stepped up to an SRT/Trackhawk/????.

Good work, OP.
__________________
BLOO > Traded in for '16 4runner

Thanks for all the info about Heeps from the community!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinetar For This Useful Post:
  #92  
Old 01-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 222
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1228
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD View Post
Its not very cool referring to his mods as being ghetto. If the truck would have been sitting at a slightly lower than stock height for the photo, would you have had the same response? I think not. Your short minded drivel, which is found in many of the threads here, comes off as you being really short or at least upset about a shortcoming all the time. You cant insult someone and then say "no offense" or Im sorry your shit sucks...but. The air you bring to some of these threads through your insults stink Akon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetar View Post
Gotta love the white-splaining about how using "ghetto" to describe things you don't like, isn't a race issue.

-

I think the airbags solve a huge problem that the springs can't and really appreciate the references provided about some history to them.

This would be the route I would go if I ever stepped up to an SRT/Trackhawk/????.

Good work, OP.
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:04 PM
Hitchhiking
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 66
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 18 Posts
Rep Power: 0
14srt419 is on a distinguished road
Re: well she's on air.

I'm used to negative comments. When you do something outside of the box you have to expect them. I have thick skin and my answer to all of it is. I did it because it is mine and I can. I'm building my jeep for me and am pleased with it so far.

Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 14srt419 For This Useful Post:
  #94  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:14 PM
Strongjeff's Avatar
Project Six Shooter

My Jeep: 2008 3.7L WK
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alpena, MI
Posts: 8,842
Thanks: 393
Thanked 648 Times in 584 Posts
Rep Power: 324050
Strongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond reputeStrongjeff has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14srt419 View Post
I'm used to negative comments. When you do something outside of the box you have to expect them. I have thick skin and my answer to all of it is. I did it because it is mine and I can. I'm building my jeep for me and am pleased with it so far.
There ya go! And thats the response they should respect
__________________
URL]
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Bustanuddz's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West of Chicago
Posts: 222
Thanks: 8
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Rep Power: 1228
Bustanuddz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14srt419 View Post
I'm used to negative comments. When you do something outside of the box you have to expect them. I have thick skin and my answer to all of it is. I did it because it is mine and I can. I'm building my jeep for me and am pleased with it so far.
That thing is sick! That is a very nice angle of it
__________________
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8...gone...Got a G8GT...Waited 6 years...traded for a 2013 SRT Jeep!!...Jeep SRT
Build log here--> http://driiive.com/SRTJEEP/SRTJEEP/#...bdd2867ba07085
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Megatron's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2007 WK
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 12,356
Thanks: 577
Thanked 212 Times in 168 Posts
Rep Power: 2900825
Megatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond reputeMegatron has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Re: well she's on air.

Love it!


Sent from my iPad using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Well here she is boys 01JeepWJ Wheels/Tires/Brakes 8 07-11-2013 05:07 PM
My Aunt just got a WK2 and she's not happy... MSCA Grand Cherokee - WK2 - 66 01-14-2011 02:13 PM
What do you think she'll run??? Cyanide Performance Modifications 15 10-07-2009 12:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.