What Should I Do ?? - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:19 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 332
Thanked 285 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
billt is on a distinguished road
What Should I Do ??

Help me out here guys. No one knows less about dealing with car dealers than I do. The last time I bought a new one was 1991. Then, like now, they were all plaid suited sharks. Here's the deal. I found a new 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee at a local dealer about 5 miles from me. This one:

2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x2 For Sale in the Avondale & Phoenix Area | VIN: 1C4RJEBT0FC763572

It's got everything I want Including the HEMI in the price range I want to pay. And nothing I don't want. It's the only one in the metro Phoenix area I could find, and I checked everywhere. All the other HEMI's are in Overland's and Summit's loaded to the gills with crap I don't want to pay for.

The problem is I won't be ready to buy until the end of the month. By then it could easily be sold. I have a few investments that will come due then, which will allow me to pay cash. Should I try to contact them and work out some type of deal now? Or should I wait? Will they hold it with a deposit? I could give them a small down payment now, (say $2K), with the guarantee I'll pay in full in 40 days or so.

I don't want them to think I'm chomping at the bit to buy it. Then they won't deal. I've had my eye on this particular vehicle for about 3 weeks now. And I'm really surprised it hasn't sold yet. And I'm getting close. What should I do? I don't want to pay any interest. How low do you think they'll go? I'm thinking I might get a better deal if I go with a car on the lot, rather than order one. But even that I'm not sure about.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 163
Thanked 236 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 2509
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
What Should I Do ??

I'd try to give them a couple hundred bucks and tell them when you want to close. I don't think V8 powered GC's are in as high demand as the V6. They shouldn't have a problem holding it for you. Just remember they make more of them every day and don't be held hostage. Who knows you may find a better deal tomorrow and you may regret giving them your $2k deposit.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:38 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 332
Thanked 285 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: What Should I Do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
..........Who knows you may find a better deal tomorrow and you may regret giving them your $2k deposit.
That's the other side of this thing I didn't mention. I check the dealer inventory on all the Phoenix Jeep dealers every other day or so, to see if anything new pops up. So far it hasn't. But tomorrow, who knows? You're right about HEMI powered Grand Cherokees. There are not that many because I don't think they have the demand the V-6 models do.

But now with gas being cheap as hell, it might be easier to sell them. I'm just not sure what to do.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 332
Thanked 285 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: What Should I Do ??

I should add that if I were to sit down and order one from a dealer, it would have everything this one has...... And nothing more. The only exception would be, I might order the exterior in Cherry Red Crystal Pearlcoat, or whatever they call it, instead of white. But even that is open. Out here from a practical long term standpoint, white is the best color. It fades the least in hot Sun, and it doesn't show dust like the dark reds and blues do. It's also the easiest to paint if there is any body damage down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:55 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 163
Thanked 236 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 2509
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Should I Do ??

I'd go white too. It was my second choice after silver on my SRT. I love the dark colors but they're just too hard to keep clean. White is s great color on the GC. If your dealer is any good they should have no problem holding your vehicle for that short amount of time. My former dealership held a guy's rubicon unlimited for 10 weeks while he figured out his financing. I know this because it was there before my wife ordered hers and was still there after she picked it up. Well over 8 weeks. All you can do is make them an offer. If they can't hold it tell them you want to order an identical one with that pricing. They want to move cars. They have less attachment to them than you do. Remember that.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-08-2015, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 335
Thanks: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2184
BirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Should I Do ??

Is your buying it dependent on these investments? If not, why not buy it now with financing and then pay it off when you get your payout? You might be able to negotiate a bit better deal because the dealer may get a kickback from the financing deal. The interest from one month wouldn't be tremendous.
__________________
2013 GC TrailHawk V8
It's the TV for a 24' Ultralight travel trailer
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-08-2015, 05:19 PM
Daniel454's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 215
Thanks: 33
Thanked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Rep Power: 72349
Daniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel454 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Should I Do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
If not, why not buy it now with financing and then pay it off when you get your payout? You might be able to negotiate a bit better deal because the dealer may get a kickback from the financing deal. The interest from one month wouldn't be tremendous.
Beat me to it!

This is exactly what I would do. Every car I have ever bought, i ended up with a better deal if I financed it through them.

A time or two I then paid it off the next month and all other times I re-financed through my own credit union within the first 30 days.

Another thread on here recently pointed out a dealer that was giving a $1K discount if you finance through them.

As long as the finance agreement has no penalty for early pay off, use the financing to your advantage, get the vehicle now, maybe get a better price, pay it off once you have the cash in hand.

Outside of that suggestion, I will agree with others, most reputable dealers will hold it for you for a few weeks with little down.
__________________
---PAST---
2005 Dodge Neon SRT4
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8


---PRESENT---
2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD (~ 500HP)
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT6 (400RWHP)
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (Mostly Stock)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-08-2015, 05:24 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 332
Thanked 285 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: What Should I Do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Is your buying it dependent on these investments? If not, why not buy it now with financing and then pay it off when you get your payout? You might be able to negotiate a bit better deal because the dealer may get a kickback from the financing deal. The interest from one month wouldn't be tremendous.
Would it cost me anything to set the deal up with financing, then tell them I want to pay off the balance in 40 days or less? It would possibly be advantageous if I could negotiate a better deal, as long as I don't have to pay any finance charges other than one months interest. Especially if I could make that up in the deal, over say paying cash up front. It's going to cost what it costs after everything washes out.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 335
Thanks: 10
Thanked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Rep Power: 2184
BirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBirchyBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Should I Do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
Would it cost me anything to set the deal up with financing, then tell them I want to pay off the balance in 40 days or less? It would possibly be advantageous if I could negotiate a better deal, as long as I don't have to pay any finance charges other than one months interest. Especially if I could make that up in the deal, over say paying cash up front. It's going to cost what it costs after everything washes out.
That is ultimately dependent on your financing deal. I've never had a car loan that wasn't simple interest and no pre-payment penalty. Good luck.
__________________
2013 GC TrailHawk V8
It's the TV for a 24' Ultralight travel trailer
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 163
Thanked 236 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 2509
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
What Should I Do ??

I wouldn't tell them you're paying it off early. It's not to your advantage and none of their business.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-08-2015, 06:13 PM
billt's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 5.7L WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Glendale, Arizona
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 332
Thanked 285 Times in 194 Posts
Rep Power: 2076
billt is on a distinguished road
Re: What Should I Do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsboening View Post
I wouldn't tell them you're paying it off early. It's not to your advantage and none of their business.
I agree. The problem is they'll be able to figure it out. Both my wife and I are retired and not working. So if we set up any kind of financing, we are going to have to show proof of some type that we've got the money to pay for the thing, or they won't write a note on it. As soon as I ask about any type of pre payment penalty, they'll figure out what I'm up to. I can't be the first retired old fart who's strolled on to the lot and tried something like this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM
Jsboening's Avatar
Senior Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Rockford, MI
Posts: 1,061
Thanks: 163
Thanked 236 Times in 191 Posts
Rep Power: 2509
Jsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond reputeJsboening has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What Should I Do ??

At your age shouldn't a credit check be sufficient? If not just pay cash for the darn thing. They'll certainly hold the vehicle for a reasonable amount of time.

Have them negotiate the deal as a financed vehicle then show up with your check book. Make them try to back peddle on the deal. Be prepared to walk away. I guarantee you someone will call you back later that day. It's their job.


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What should I do?? What should I do??? Blueflame1979 Grand Cherokee - WK 12 05-31-2011 07:22 PM
What 4in lift should I get?? Shawn Off Road Modifications 20 09-08-2009 06:13 PM
what should i do? baronvonhavok Troubleshooting/Problems 17 08-20-2009 11:04 PM
Where should i put my dumps? heehawbus Performance Modifications 25 06-30-2009 06:52 PM
Should I drill vent holes in my tinted tails? tman4024 Visual Modifications 26 06-25-2009 03:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.