Winter Rubber - Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum

Go Back   Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum > Jeep Platform Discussion > Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2

Join Jeep Garage Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
  #1  
Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 172
Thanks: 121
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 679
rg171352 is on a distinguished road
Winter Rubber

I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tires for my SRT. I've never done this before, but then again I never expected such cold and snowy winters.


Currently, I'm running the Yokohamas and like them. I Read here that some people are running bridgestone blizzak dm-v1 275/45r20 and others are running Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 295/45-20 XL Tire and a few people suggested Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV 295/40 R20 110T XL TL.


If I switch to an aspect ratio of 40, what will happen with my speedometer and odometer?

Also, other tires that seem to fit the 275/45r20 size ratio are: Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUF, Pirelli Winter Carving Edge, Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow, Pirelli Scorpion winter, Yokohama Winter Drive and Yokohama Ice Guard IG51V.

Has anyone tried these other tires? Is there any issue using a 275 in stead of a 295?
The winters will be going on OEM spider monkey wheels. The car is going to be used in WNY. What are your thoughts?

If you're running any of these, please post a pic of them on your car and what your experience has been.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-05-2015, 04:28 PM
firstjeeplast's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 134
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1122
firstjeeplast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg171352 View Post
I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tires for my SRT. I've never done this before, but then again I never expected such cold and snowy winters.

Currently, I'm running the Yokohamas and like them. I Read here that some people are running bridgestone blizzak dm-v1 275/45r20 and others are running Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow 295/45-20 XL Tire and a few people suggested Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUV 295/40 R20 110T XL TL.

If I switch to an aspect ratio of 40, what will happen with my speedometer and odometer?

Also, other tires that seem to fit the 275/45r20 size ratio are: Michelin Latitude X-Ice Xi2 Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 SUF, Pirelli Winter Carving Edge, Pirelli Scorpion ice and snow, Pirelli Scorpion winter, Yokohama Winter Drive and Yokohama Ice Guard IG51V.

Has anyone tried these other tires? Is there any issue using a 275 in stead of a 295?
The winters will be going on OEM spider monkey wheels. The car is going to be used in WNY. What are your thoughts?

If you're running any of these, please post a pic of them on your car and what your experience has been.

Thanks!
I did the Blizzaks and we get a decent amount of snow and ice. 275 is better for snow than wider tires anyways. I think the basic concept on size difference is for every 10 in tread width u change the sidewall % by 5. So 285 to 275 u have to go from like 40 to 45 on sidewall.I don't have any pics of my Blizzaks but I put on the spider monkeys and I thought they looked pretty aggressive.
__________________
Injen CAI, Fastman ported 85mm TB, Kooks full exhaust, Jet 180 Tstat
0-60 best 4.0 sec
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firstjeeplast For This Useful Post:
  #3  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:25 PM
Premium Member
My Jeep: 2015 6.4L SRT WK2
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NY
Posts: 90
Thanks: 40
Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Rep Power: 800
dmb4040 is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

I used the same mindset that Firstjeeplast used, and I got the 275/45/20 Pirelli Ice and Snow's. I realize that most people here go for the 295's for the Pirelli's, but I figured a little less width in the snow would be worth it. I typically have a 2+ hour commute home when it snows, so anything to make that better would be nice.
__________________
2015 Jeep SRT - Max Steel
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmb4040 For This Useful Post:
  #4  
Old 11-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 172
Thanks: 121
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 679
rg171352 is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

Thank you both for your replies. Have either of you tried driving in winter conditions with the standard tires?

I may try the narrower tires as well. Are there any issues with the speedometer or vehicle dynamics with the different size tire? Also, do the 275's fit the rim okay?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2015, 06:16 PM
firstjeeplast's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 134
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1122
firstjeeplast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg171352 View Post
Thank you both for your replies. Have either of you tried driving in winter conditions with the standard tires?

I may try the narrower tires as well. Are there any issues with the speedometer or vehicle dynamics with the different size tire? Also, do the 275's fit the rim okay?
The 275 45 should keep about the same diameter of tire as stock. You could always by a tuner to plug in and adjust the tire size. I do that with my 22s in the summer but I usually just leave it back to stock settings with my winter getup. I personally don't trust the all seasons just due to how wide they are, i mean i think 245 is normal width on most SUVs. plus I have 3 seasons on my summer set anyways now.
__________________
Injen CAI, Fastman ported 85mm TB, Kooks full exhaust, Jet 180 Tstat
0-60 best 4.0 sec
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-06-2015, 02:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 501
bigsakius is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

I just went through this trying to decide on which size to get. Ultimately I stayed with the 295's because I wanted to keep everything oem and figured on dry days it will handle closer to all seasons. With 275's when your speed says 75mph your actually going around 73. You can look up tire size calculators to show the size differences. If you want to go narrower and stay the same overall diameter a the 265/50/20 is a perfect match and your speedo would not change. Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-06-2015, 03:00 AM
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 37
Thanks: 12
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 1399
SINCE1941 is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

I also went with the 295s basically because I don't want to give up the width and the badass look that the truck deserves. The wide pirellis do extremely well at that width in deep snow and I live in big snow country... I'd hate to go narrow and give up the look. The beast is capable


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2015, 07:20 AM
firstjeeplast's Avatar
Member
My Jeep: 2014 6.4L SRT8 WK2
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 134
Thanks: 3
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 1122
firstjeeplast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsakius View Post
I just went through this trying to decide on which size to get. Ultimately I stayed with the 295's because I wanted to keep everything oem and figured on dry days it will handle closer to all seasons. With 275's when your speed says 75mph your actually going around 73. You can look up tire size calculators to show the size differences. If you want to go narrower and stay the same overall diameter a the 265/50/20 is a perfect match and your speedo would not change. Good luck!
The sidewall on the snow tires is way soft and it totally feels different in steering than on say the run flats with their stiff sidewall.
__________________
Injen CAI, Fastman ported 85mm TB, Kooks full exhaust, Jet 180 Tstat
0-60 best 4.0 sec
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:15 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Rep Power: 501
bigsakius is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

Yup your right but I am just hoping it won't be as bad as the stud less snows. I had those on my Evo and in the dry they were so squirmy.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2015, 06:19 PM
cyanideg's Avatar
GO GREEN!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 634
Thanks: 50
Thanked 41 Times in 27 Posts
Rep Power: 6246
cyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond reputecyanideg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Winter Rubber

Are the Yokos no good in the snow?
__________________
2014 GCSRT8
White | Loaded

Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-06-2015, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 172
Thanks: 121
Thanked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 679
rg171352 is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

That's how people make it sound. If they're good, maybe I'll just use them, but then I'll have this second set of wheels....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2015, 03:38 PM
Philthy's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 346
Thanks: 123
Thanked 81 Times in 66 Posts
Rep Power: 2190
Philthy is on a distinguished road
Re: Winter Rubber

ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1447187914.637060.jpghow about these


Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winter Rubber on OEMs? MikeH Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 22 03-29-2015 08:36 PM
2014 GC Summit on Winter Rubber cancctv Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires 5 01-02-2014 11:34 AM
Rubber Bezel under Shifter Broken mroe Tech Tips DIY/How To 2 01-19-2011 01:41 PM
Got some new rubber! Overboostin Grand Cherokee - WK 19 01-10-2011 11:36 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community

JeepGarage.org is in no way associated with or endorsed by FCA US LLC. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Mopar and SRT are registered trademarks of FCA US LLC.