Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Battery Taken Out While WK Is Idle, Alternator? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/battery-taken-out-while-wk-is-idle-alternator-10017.html)

bullet700 06-04-2010 07:45 PM

Battery Taken Out While WK Is Idle, Alternator?

Dear JeepBroz,
From what i know, when a car is running, you can safely take the terminal of a battery off the battery and the battery will still run.
My WK has been making long clicking noises when i try to start the car, like crcrcrcrcrcrcrcr kinda sound, then i would immediately try again and it would make a short clicking crcrcr sound then start.
Now, can do you JeepBroz think this is an alternator problem, cuz i was told that if you take the terminals off the battery while the car is running and the engine shuts off, then KABOOM u got urself an alternator problem.
weigh in please...

JRsmoothee 06-04-2010 08:01 PM

Re: Battery Taken Out While WK Is Idle, Alternator?

mmmmmm......your battery is dead or dieing, or your starter is goin out

ALPINEST4RS 06-04-2010 08:41 PM

If you had an alt problem 9/10 your battery light would come on. What is the crcrcrcrcr noise? Is that a cranking sound?

Scottina06 06-04-2010 08:42 PM

its the battery

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-04-2010 08:45 PM

def the battery, it happened to me a few months ago

5.7Unlimited 06-05-2010 01:00 AM

Battery or starter for SURE i've heard of this SEVERAL times, it's not the ALT for sure, and PS taking a battery off the car while its running will make the car turn off, this would be the case with most modern vehicles.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-05-2010 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5.7Unlimited (Post 217335)
Battery or starter for SURE i've heard of this SEVERAL times, it's not the ALT for sure, and PS taking a battery off the car while its running will make the car turn off, this would be the case with most modern vehicles.

naw it is a goo way to check your alternator. i did it after i replaced my battery to make sure the battery wasnt being drained by a poor alternator. if you disconnect the negative terminal and the car shuts off then your alternator is dead and the vehicle is running off the battery. if it continues to run then the alternator is fine.

bullet700 06-05-2010 10:33 AM

Ok, i am gonna get the battery tested today! my experience taking the terminal off the battery while the car is running was on a really old car, a '90 Suzuki Samurai. So modern cars don't function like that anymore like 5.7unlimited mentioned or is the car with a good alternator gonna keep running after pulling the terminals out? could anybody try plz on their Jeep?
the crcrcrcrcrcr noise sounds like a small part clicking. it's not a heavy clicking like the engine trying to turn. its more a sharp clicking like hmmmm idk a cricket, or shaking a penny in a bottle or something.

Chris 06-05-2010 11:55 AM

Like said above, if you take the negative terminal off while the car is running and the car dies soon after, you have an alternator problem. The alternator should keep the car running if the battery was d/c. Like also mentioned above, if the car dies when you take the negative terminal off, then the car is ONLY running on the battery, which would imply your alternator is not doing its job.

Your problem sounds like a dead or dieing battery or starter though, modern cars have the battery lights on the dash that would come on if you had an alternator problem. My 2003 and 2005 Mazda 6's both had alternators that crapped out and that battery symbol light came on both times in that case..

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

bullet700 06-05-2010 01:02 PM

thanks, clear enough, will update when i take the recommended actions. thanx again

Scottina06 06-05-2010 02:02 PM

if you have the charging system checked....they can tell you all you need to know

maxst2 06-05-2010 08:09 PM

Mine did that... randomly too. One day fine... next notta. Took battery to autozone and they put it on their machine to load test it and it failed. Got a better battery anyway, it was a night and day difference in starting once I replaced it too.