Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   Magna Flow reso removal (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/magna-flow-reso-removal-10027.html)

trebliw 06-05-2010 10:36 AM

Magna Flow reso removal

Just wondering... I have a 57L with a Magna Flow catback, has anyone ever taken the reso off? If so, did it sound louder and was the drone annoying and overwhelming?

robpp 06-05-2010 10:46 AM

Re: Magna Flow reso removal

i can tell you that my 4.7 magnaflow that comes without a reso ......... the drone is annoying. I am going to add either an inline reso or a tip.

CPT2010 06-05-2010 01:28 PM

powerstick muffler. 70$, cut of reso and suitcase muffler. no drone. loud at WOT but nice and quiet growl at idle. I swear by it.

Scottina06 06-05-2010 01:58 PM

many have tried the powerstick here...and removed it...not sure why

drone on a 5.7 will be unbearable without the reso

CPT2010 06-05-2010 02:06 PM

Me either... Everywhere i go people ask me what exhaust i have..

John_R 06-06-2010 06:51 PM

I have a 2 1/2" oval glasspack (magnaflow) and took off the factory resonator and didn't notice any bad 'drone', but it is slightly louder and the crappy (IMO) hollow fake sound is much more pronounced, although it's not terrible sounding (just not for my ear's "palate") and the volume isn't too bad.

To me, a resonator is a restriction and a band-aid to the wrong muffler (or from an oem's POV, brings down the NHV level to an acceptable level).

I don't know what sound/level you're looking for, so can't say whether or not removing it would be for you :) As much as I hate the maganflow sound on my WK, it does sound better than when the resonator was on there.

ChrisWk 06-07-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT2010 (Post 217455)
powerstick muffler. 70$, cut of reso and suitcase muffler. no drone. loud at WOT but nice and quiet growl at idle. I swear by it.

Hello do you have a sound video of your jeep? I got the 5.7 with stock muffler and no res it still sounds stock.

Chriswk

Robert Palmer 06-07-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPT2010 (Post 217455)

Sorry but I dont believe you. No drone on that setup. lol

John_R 06-07-2010 11:24 PM

I had to look that "powerstick" up; looks like a chambered muffler and those things are (can be) loud! They had that as a factory option (chambered exhaust) on the 69 Chevelle (and others), lol, can you believe that?

They are loud, but I could believe no drone with proper tip placement. I personally think what causes this 'drone' is the glasspack mufflers, more than anything else. I'd have a hard time believing that a turbo muffler would have much drone, but should be a little throatier, if a little more quiet. However, without hearing it yet, I can't say, but I do plan on experimenting :)