Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   08 WK HID conversion install comments (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/08-wk-hid-conversion-install-comments-10143.html)

kerndone 06-08-2010 11:41 PM

08 WK HID conversion install comments

Well, this did not go as smoothly as I was hoping, but really, what ever does! I ordered an extreme HID kit from one of our vendors and I am extremely pleased with the quality. However, the relay harness limits my grounding options due to the length of the wires. Not to mention, the ring terminals are not large enough for the driver's side fender ground. I nearly had it in when the terminal that I had enlarged broke off. I am going to go home and get my electrical tool box and extend the ground properly and solder on an appropriately sized ring terminal. I also noticed that the ballasts on the new extreme HID kits are much slimmer than the older versions I have seen posted on here. I was extremely pleased when I saw how slim these are. I will not sacrifice the quality of the install, so I will unfortunately have to wait until next week to do this right. I just wanted to post my observations of the harness to possibly let future installers know that you will need to modify the ground terminal if you want to put it on the stock driver's side fender ground.

Also, I'm not sure if it would even work right, but do NOT use the plugs on the bulb harness that would connect to the factory bulb harness. When using the relay, this takes place of this "piggyback" connection. Would it even be possible to have your lights work doing it this way? Could that be the cause of some people's flickering even when using a relayed harness? I realize this is probably not an issue for most people, but I was confused at first trying to make sure I used all of the connectors.

White Chocolate 07-27-2010 10:31 AM

Re: 08 WK HID conversion install comments

No offense....but I just noticed this. several members use these XD kits, and I had enough wire, and my terminals were just fine. and the plug and play works perfect with the relays.....

hmmm so i dunno why it was so difficult for you

kerndone 07-27-2010 10:49 AM

What are you trying to infer...that this is why my retrofit is so problematic for me too! :)

Anyway, after coming back to accomplish this with the proper tools and mounting the ballasts in another location, I was able to run everything without adding any wire to the grounds. Also, I just simply cut off the 9006 pigtails from my HID kit bulbs since they were not needed. However, the ring terminal that was included with the relay harness did NOT fit on my driver side fender ground bolt. It was simply too small to fit the bolt through it; not even close to the proper size. The passenger side ground is much smaller and there were no issues. I removed the battery on the driver side and the air intake, air filter box and the coolant reservoir on the passenger side which allowed for a much cleaner and easier install IMO.

The point I want to get across was mainly that the ground terminal on my relay harness was too small. I cut off the old one and soldered on a new, bigger ring terminal and all went fine without a hitch. I have a fully functioning, non-flickering but glaring pnp HID kit installed until I can do it the right way with my retrofit projectors!

Scottina06 07-27-2010 11:49 AM

Just to add my experience...Ive had probably 20 of the XD relay harnesses and the rings were perfect and fit both sides. I have wired probably 6-8 sets of the 08+ oem HID lamps using Xenondepots relay harnesses and all the terminals have been perfect. Only problem I ever had with a XD relay harness was a blown fuse on one of my original harnesses that I bought in 2006.

kerndone 07-27-2010 12:01 PM

Could it be possible that the ground bolt on the fender is larger on '08-'10? You guys are making me feel like I am taking crazy pills!

Scottina06 07-27-2010 12:34 PM

I have sold the 08+ oem HID lamps to 08+ owners and they havent mentioned it. Xenondepot relays are all I use. It could be I guess. manufacturers changes things all the time. It couldve also been a terminal ring that the wrong size was put on too.

White Chocolate 07-27-2010 01:29 PM

I have a bolt on my 05 jeep that is to thick, however the one next to it was perfect size. Either way the length was long enough. If you run the wires correctly then length isnt an issue. Xenondepot relays are the bomb