Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Brake upgrade needed. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/brake-upgrade-needed-10147.html)

wkxj 06-09-2010 04:34 AM

Brake upgrade needed.

78K on the jeep and the brakes are junk. Plenty of pads left but the rotors are warped on the front and the rears are squeaky. I would appreciate any recommendations for front rotors. I'll upgrade to a much better pad such as a thermoquiet or a ceramic. it doesn't get driven hard but sees every kind of weather imaginable. TIA

robpp 06-09-2010 09:33 AM

Re: Brake upgrade needed.

i bought the dimpled/slotted rotors from R1.

i also bought the HAWK Ceramic pads but i dont like them. I may switch to the Hawk HPS. I am on my third set of HPS on my XJ and really like them.

wkxj 06-09-2010 11:05 AM

How about some links.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-09-2010 11:34 AM

i use just regualr rotors and wagner thermoquiet ceramic pads. i like them so far and the pads were only $80 for all 4 wheels.

wkxj 06-09-2010 01:05 PM

Matt, how many miles do you get out of a set of rotors?

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-09-2010 03:22 PM

my current rotors are still the factory rotors and they have 68k miles on them. i had them machined once. i figure i will get to at least 80k with my current rotors and then i will replace them with more oem rotors. im my other jeep that i had i replaced the factory rotors at 75k and they stayed on until i got rid of the jeep at 145k

Walt 06-09-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 219485)
my current rotors are still the factory rotors and they have 68k miles on them. i had them machined once. i figure i will get to at least 80k with my current rotors and then i will replace them with more oem rotors. im my other jeep that i had i replaced the factory rotors at 75k and they stayed on until i got rid of the jeep at 145k

I have heard that Jeep did some improvement on the rotors from WJ to WK models. I had front rotors replaced early (40K miles) on my '00 GC Laredo. The rotors on the '03 GC Laredo were better and were original when I got rid of it at 75K miles. The '08 WK has 46.5K miles and shows no signs of problems. Same with the pads.

Not sure exactly what I'll do at replacement time, but probably OEM if they continue to perform as they have so far (and the price is reasonable).

Scottina06 06-09-2010 08:59 PM

^^^^the price isnt...its outrageous.....lol

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-09-2010 10:30 PM

my pads were fine when i replaced them at 66k, lots of wear left. the dealer replaced the factory pads at 32k. at 66k i got sick of the brake dust and noise so i put on the thermoquiets.