Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Transfer case and differential fluid change questions (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/transfer-case-and-differential-fluid-change-questions-10424.html)

kerndone 06-18-2010 12:30 PM

Transfer case and differential fluid change questions

So, I decided I have neglected my fluid changes long enough. I have discovered a few things along the way and I also have a question or two. Number one is the synthetics used in the diffs and transfer case. As far as I can tell, they do not make 75w-140 gear oil in anything other than synthetic. I'm not sure if that viscosity range is achievable in regular oil. Next, I believe ATF +4 is actually synthetic by nature. So, that technically means the Jeep is shipped from the factory with synthetic fluids other than the engine oil.

Ok, question time. First off, where can I purchase a 14mm allen wrench? I have looked everywhere around here and it seems I will need to order one. The next question is the transfer case. I have a large disc bolted over the top of the drain plug which prevents me from using my 10mm allen wrench. It almost looks like a harmonic balancer, but it isn't connected to the t-case by anything but 4 perimeter bolts. It's also severely rusted. Is this thing necessary? And do I need to remove it to accomplish a fluid change?

That's about it, sorry its such a long post.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-18-2010 12:35 PM

Re: Transfer case and differential fluid change questions

sears sells a 14mm allen head socket for $9.99 each or you can go to harbor freight and get a whole set of allen head sockets for $7.99 my t-case was impossible to get to and i sliced up my hand pretty good trying to get it open. use pb blaster on any rusted bolts you cant get off.

suzieque 06-18-2010 12:56 PM

so, a 14mm allen wrench is needed to remove the fill plug?

I have a mityvac, so I was just going to remove the fill plug and vacuum/syphon the old fluid and refill.

kerndone 06-18-2010 01:09 PM

The front differential has 14mm fill and drain plugs, the transfer case plugs are 10mm. At least the transfer case on my Laredo is. I'm not sure about the QDII.

Jesse 06-18-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

I have a large disc bolted over the top of the drain plug which prevents me from using my 10mm allen wrench. It almost looks like a harmonic balancer, but it isn't connected to the t-case by anything but 4 perimeter bolts. It's also severely rusted. Is this thing necessary? And do I need to remove it to accomplish a fluid change?
Yes I think that is a vibration damper, and yes it is necessary. You can loosen the drain plug without removing the damper by using a hex key with a "ball end" and just turning it by hooking an ordinary wrench to the top bend of the allen key for more leverage. Or u could just cut the allen down to a smaller size to fit in there.

Unholyskorn86 06-18-2010 01:49 PM

I just used a socket wrench to take off the diff bolt on my 99 wj...dunno if thats just my jeep or not but i just jammed it in there and turned it lol

cain45 06-18-2010 01:58 PM

From my experiance changing my diff fluids a 14mm allen head socket didn't fit between the diff and front cross member. I needed an actual allen wrench which I purchased at a local hardware store as Sears did not carry it in store. The only way they could get one is to order it.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-18-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cain45 (Post 223849)
From my experiance changing my diff fluids a 14mm allen head socket didn't fit between the diff and front cross member. I needed an actual allen wrench which I purchased at a local hardware store as Sears did not carry it in store. The only way they could get one is to order it.

what vehicle do you have? i did mine without any problems. only place i had trouble fitting was with the t-case fill plug

Joe in PA 06-18-2010 02:12 PM

If you have a local ACE hardware store, they might have the 14mm allen wrench in stock. That's where I got mine. I also use a 2' piece of steel pipe over the allen wrench to gain the needed torque to break the plugs free.

1 GRAND 06-18-2010 02:27 PM

I had to order the 14mm from northern tool when I did mine. I got it now though lol.

Unholyskorn86 06-18-2010 02:59 PM

What I meant what I used to socket wrench tool itself with no socket on the end....fits like a glove and saved me money haha.

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-18-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unholyskorn86 (Post 223864)
What I meant what I used to socket wrench tool itself with no socket on the end....fits like a glove and saved me money haha.

you are right, that also works!