Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Keeping her! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/keeping-her-10582.html)

ilirdino 06-25-2010 12:00 AM

Keeping her!

So after a long and drawn out back and forth, I've decided to keep my WJ. I'm going to finally start working on her to get some of the parts I had planned in there, but before I do I'd like a quick overview of general maintenance that you'd have performed on a WJ that hasn't had much service done (since she hasn't been driven much, 68k miles since 1999).

I am going to do the Akebono caliper upgrade. We just had some suspension work done and the tires are relatively new. Is there anything in particular that you would have checked out (even at an indy mechanic) after deciding that this car would soon be driven on a regular basis as a DD? Filters, fluids, pumps, etc?

Thanks guys! Sorry I'm so annoying and sorry I haven't yet pulled the trigger on any thing yet. I thought I would be selling it.

StoneCold 06-25-2010 03:22 AM

Re: Keeping her!

Check the water pump, I'm sure these start to go bad at around 50,000 miles, change oil, oil filter, spark plugs, air filter, may be worth cleaning the throttle body and IAC valve, a quick visual inspection should tell you if this needs done. If you're upgrading to the akebono calipers, you'd probably be aswell changing the brake fluid, that way everything is nice and new. Front and rear diff oil. Transmission fluid and filter. Personally I'd replace the PCV valve and coolant too. It depends how picky you are really. I changed everything when I got mine, that way I was starting off on a clean slate, so to speak.

Frango100 06-25-2010 10:33 AM

Stonecold already mentioned quite a list. I donīt know if you own the jeep since new or know the complete maintenance history, otherwise you should start from 0.
When changing the transmission fluid, do change both internal filters as well.
Lubricate the upper knuckle ball stud at steering & suspension ball joints.
Lubricate the aft brake caliper pins.(the front ones probably come lubricated)
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, so it absorbs water out of the air during time. So the fluid should be changed every 2 years, but since you are changing the front calipers you have the sytem already open. When you will do the maintenance yourself, take care of the following: donīt floor the brake pedal completely when emptying the system or bleeding the brakes. During normal operation this will also never occur and there is a change that due to moisture in the fluid that corrosion has formed inside the master brake cylinder walls and this will damage the piston seals.Best is to just open the bleed screw and let the fluid flow out by gravity, It will take some more time, but safes you a master brake cylinder or seals change. The jeep manual is even mentioning to use a DRB III scan tool to bleed the ABS pump, but i have never done this myself.
The cooling fluid should be changed once every 2 years, or when its color is brownish (corrosion). Flush the system to get dirt out and fill with HOAT type fluid.
Succes.

Frango100 06-25-2010 10:39 AM

I forgot the power steering fluid. Its not mentioned anywhere to change this fluid, but since the power steering pump works all the time (and the hydraulic cooling fan, if your jeep has it), there will be some wear of the moving parts and there is no filter. So i change it also once every 2 years.

scjeep4.7HO 06-25-2010 10:58 AM

Don't forget to do your transfer case also.

ilirdino 07-22-2010 07:56 PM

Just ordered my K&N 57! But I'm looking at Flowmaster 50 Series for mufflers and I have a few questions on the details. What would be the appropriate inlet/outlet sizes? Also, does the location of the inlet/outlet matter much?

Some more questions: I need to replace the inner tubing on the rear passenger doors. It's not the weather seal (as water doesn't get through) but its a flimsy rubber tubing on the inside. Should I just gorilla glue it back into place or look for a replacement at autozone/something similar? Should I look to order it?

Something weird happened today. So I was backing into a space and bumped the curb just a bit. Then suddenly, the jeep died. I threw it in Park, turned it off, and then turned it on again. No problems afterwards. I drove for about 40 miles after this happened and it was smooth sailing otherwise. Any comments?

And last but not least, does anyone know of a good indy mechanic in the 5 boroughs of NYC that you would recommend? I need some work done.

Thanks for putting up with my ignorance! :D

DaMitsuMan 07-22-2010 08:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that the inlet for the muffler is middle and the outlet is offset to the right. I also believe it is 2.25 for a size? someone can chime in for sure...I have the 50 and love it.

Chaoul1 07-22-2010 08:27 PM

Get a Magnaflow! No Flowmasters. Nothing much droooooone!

ilirdino 07-23-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaoul1 (Post 240048)
Get a Magnaflow! No Flowmasters. Nothing much droooooone!

But I love the way the 50 sounds! haha

Can anyone chime in on the inlet/outlet sizes and their orientation?

ilirdino 07-30-2010 12:17 AM

Bump!

Does anyone know the inlet size and orientation? Thanks!