Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   OME 2" suspension, tire choices and lift gains (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/ome-2-suspension-tire-choices-and-lift-gains-10632.html)

harascho 06-27-2010 05:41 AM

OME 2" , before-after measurement, coil fitment guide, tire/size choice

2 Attachment(s)
Ok I have to get this together somehow. I ordered a MD OME kit and installed it to my 2005 GC Ltd 3.0CRD.

For a starting point here are the heights before the lift, measured from the middle of the hub to the fender opening. ( If I say left or right I mean it when sitting in the drivers seat, looking forward, so we all sit on the left side...just for reference and to be on the safe side;-))

Before:

F(ront)L(eft): 18.7" FR : 18.9" difference 0.2" L to R
R(ear)L(eft) : 18.5" RR : 19.4" 0.9" L to R

After

After is Rear spring 'A' right (passenger) Rear spring 'B' left (driver) see text below....

F(ront)L(eft): 21.2" FR : 21.6" difference 0.4" L to R
R(ear)L(eft) : 20.9" RR : 21.5" 0.6" L to R

Lift:

F(ront)L(eft): 2.5" FR : 2.7"
R(ear)L(eft) : 2.4" RR : 2.1"

Keep in mind that we are talking about a 3.0CRD which will sit a bit heavier on the front axle.

To the lift kit itsself: Front springs are OME 990 shocks N188S
Rear springs are OME 992 shocks N190

The front springs are identical, the tags on them say all the same numbers.
The rear springs , although they are tagged the same number, carry an additional 'A' and 'B', see pics with the tags attached.

During installation I didn't care about the mounting positions, as for me two springs the same part No are identical. I had to learn the hard way that they are not !

I couldn't go wrong in the front, as they are really the same, in the back who knows where 'A' and 'B' have to go ??

As I bought the suspension kit in Germany, no original ARB instructions came with the box. The only doc I found was the german certificate for the TÜV. It says ( for the back springs..) the spring with a length of 13.98" is Rear Right, the spring with the length of 13.58" is Rear Left, which simply means put the longer one on the right (passenger!) side.

I didn't compare the springs length during installation so my last reference are the 'A' and 'B' tags. Which one is the longer one??

Tire department:

My GC came on 245/65R17 my size of choice is the 245/75R17 'cause I want to gain a little more ground clearance. The 245/75 is about 2" more in diameter which will change the gearing by 6.14% The 245/70 is on inch taller and the gearing is changed by 3.19%
The tire of my choice is the goodyear Warngler AT silent armor, 'cause as far as I read and heard it's the best allround performer including great wet and snow performance.

From my experience with lifted Tahoes and Suburbans I know all the effects of bigger tires and the resulting change in the final ratio. You can correct the speedo, the shift points but all in all the engine isn't very happy outside it's designed powerband.

I don't know what the 3.0CRD will do. It has enough torque to live even with a 6% change in gearing but that's only a wild ass guess....

My personal opinion (in the moment...) is, sometimes less is more, go with 245/70's have a good compromise, less stress on the balljoints, a happier engine within it's powerband and that's it. What do you guys think?

Next is speedo correction.
Jeff Blakely from ProComp wrote me this note:

MessageThe Accu Pro is not compatible with the 3.0CRD.

Jeff Blakely
Pro Comp Suspension

AEV Dave on the AEV forum answered my question:

Question:

Could your
"Electronic Geometery Recalibration (EGR) Module for 2005-08 Jeep WK/XK"
be used on a 2005 Export Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD?
I mainly need it to correct the tire size, I have no idea what the EGR correction, which is set for a 4" lift , will do with my 2" OME lift?

DAVE:
If you read through the instructions you'll see that there are basically two parts to the EGR

1. Use it as a hand held programmer
  2. Permanently install it into the vehicle to correct for the different geometry that the Superlift knuckles utilize.

You could use the programming function to program the new tire size, but you should not install the EGR permenantly in your WK with the stock knuckles. We're planning on adding WK/XK to our ProCal module when the new software release is issued late summer, this would be a cheaper way to do it and offer you more functions.

Here we are now... in the middle of a process... with a lack of information...

Any thoughts are highly appreciated

Harald

harascho 06-28-2010 09:15 AM

Re: OME 2" suspension, tire choices and lift gains

Nobody here to chime in ?