Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Visual Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/)
-   -   DIY Window Tint (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f7/diy-window-tint-10677.html)

Knightrider03m 06-29-2010 12:51 AM

DIY Window Tint

Two questions;

How easy would it be to tint your windows?

And

Were would I go to buy the window tint?

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-29-2010 02:00 AM

Re: DIY Window Tint

i did mine in all three vehicles i have owned and it was super easy. i bought tint for the first two at walmart and for my WK i got precut security tint on ebay for all my windows to prevent theft.
all you have to do is take out the window, clean it, soak it in tint solution (distilled water and dishwash soap) lay the tint on it and squeege out the liquid. after it dries you cut off the excess and reinstall.

rvtifer 06-29-2010 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 228075)
i did mine in all three vehicles i have owned and it was super easy. i bought tint for the first two at walmart and for my WK i got precut security tint on ebay for all my windows to prevent theft.
all you have to do is take out the window, clean it, soak it in tint solution (distilled water and dishwash soap) lay the tint on it and squeege out the liquid. after it dries you cut off the excess and reinstall.

Man you make that sound easy.

Megatron 06-29-2010 08:16 AM

Make sure you clean really good, you dont want dust particles lol

Robert Palmer 06-29-2010 08:19 AM

Um I suggest you have a professional do this.

ekaz 06-29-2010 08:59 AM

You can do it yourself without taking the window out. However, for the 80 bucks or whatever it costs to have them done, well worth it to have it done.

White Chocolate 06-29-2010 09:04 AM

yep, for the cheap cost on tint, have someone proffesional do it..

you'll soon realize its harder then it really sounds

StoneCold 06-29-2010 04:49 PM

I did my XJ using roll film and it was a real PITA! Had to cut templates, then cut the film. Took ages. But once all that was done, it was fairly asy to actually install. Didn't need to remove windows, although it is advisable to remove the small panel windows in the rear passenger doors.

I've got some pre cut tint for my WJ, which should be a lot easier. Fingers crossed. It is a job I hate, but a local company quoted me 400!

DJ BoNiOmArIo 06-29-2010 05:07 PM

I'd let a pro do it and make it right then having to spend hours + parts + lots of cuss time spared LOL

SvenskaJeepGuy 06-29-2010 05:13 PM

i am very familiar with installing vinyl so i guess this just came natural to me. it was very easy and took only 2 hours to do the windows. where i live it would have cost a fortune to get them done professionally. i save the money and use it for other mods lol

tthatch71 06-29-2010 08:51 PM

I say this is one for the pros... One speck of dust and you're screwed

Knightrider03m 06-29-2010 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 228075)

Take out the window? Already its sounding hard. Why can't I do it with the window on the car?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Palmer (Post 228099)
Um I suggest you have a professional do this.

I don't want to suck on the tit of the tint shop(s) that charge $300 and most of that is in labor :eek:

-----------------

I'll call around to see what people around my house charge.