Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Rear Diff Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/rear-diff-service-10762.html)

StoneCold 07-02-2010 02:24 PM

Rear Diff Service

It's time to do the rear diff...however, it looks like a real PITA to get to. There's a strut bar of some kind (seems to be linked to the suspension)running right in front of it and the fuel tank is in the way. Probably not a problem if you can get it up on a ramp, but I've no such luxury.

Has anyone else done the rear diff on a WJ, if so any advice? I know what to do, it just looks like a lot of hassle to get the cover off, or am I being thick and missing something?

Unholyskorn86 07-02-2010 02:35 PM

Re: Rear Diff Service

Just wedge your ass under there...you'll be able to get a socket etc in there and remove it, then a tube to suck out the fluid and replace....

vicpick58 07-02-2010 07:35 PM

I always jack up the back end of the Jeep and place the jack stands on the "frame" rails just ahead of the lower control arms.

Let the rear wheels stay on the ground and you should have plenty of room to work on the differential. This also gives plenty of room to change the transfer case fluid while you are at it.

206WJ 07-02-2010 08:54 PM

That's the rear sway bar that you have to work around of remove.

Either way it's not hard to do.

Unholyskorn86 07-02-2010 09:32 PM

I didn't remove the bar, jacked it up a bit tho just so the tires didn't come off the ground....please make sure to use jack stands for the frame bro.

Frango100 07-02-2010 09:57 PM

And if your diff has the treaded fill plug, try to remove that one first before draining the diff. It can happen sometimes that it is impossible to remove the plug, which means that you can never fill it anymore...........................:(
And indeed jacking up the rear end and putting it on stands will give you plenty of room, the sway bar doesnīt have to be removed. Donīt forget to buy the silicone sealant to seal of the rear diff cover and the oil limited slip additive if you have vari lock.
Good luck.

Escape 07-03-2010 12:32 AM

Diff oil is the worst smell in the world! Be prepared...lol!

Joe in PA 07-03-2010 07:56 AM

Oh I can think of a few things that smell much worse than gear lube .....

Paper mill
Chicken shit
Dead crayfish
The air coming out of a certain White WK's air vents

StoneCold 07-03-2010 07:57 AM

Cheers guys.

I have got the fill plug so I'll make sure that comes off first. Good advice Frango:thumbsup: thank you.

I've got all the fluids etc I need and axle stands, so I'll get to work on it tonight.

Just when I stuck my head underneath, I though 'uh oh' that's a tight squeeze.

Thanks again for the help guys. This site is the best.

StoneCold 07-03-2010 07:58 AM

Aw man chicken shit is bad:lol:

SoCalMoparWK 07-03-2010 09:17 AM

Your Breath :eek::slapfight::lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe in PA (Post 229930)
Oh I can think of a few things that smell much worse than gear lube .....

Paper mill
Chicken shit
Dead crayfish
The air coming out of a certain White WK's air vents

Unholyskorn86 07-03-2010 11:04 AM

It's one of those jobs that the hardest part is just getting under there and dealing with the fluid...but other then that it's simple and safe if you use stands etc etc...Good luck bro.